Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by HomerJay
I've taken advantage of the cheap paid last minute upgrade option in the past, and was in for a surprise this morning. Nothing like a $100 upgrade - when available - on a transcon.

I went to check in and upgrade on a BWI-SAN flight, and expected to find the $100 upgrade fee. Instead, half a dozen seats were available, but the fee was something like $215.

Is this something new, and have the three tier paid upgrade fees - based on distance - gone away?

Also, there had been a $59 charge to upgrade to premium class on this flight until today. Now that fee has gone up to $99.

Is there some change in policy?
Yes, AS changed the tiers and prices for their paid upgrades earlier this year. The top tier (> 2100 miles) is now $199 whereas before the 1251-2500 mile tier was $100 (a steal IMO). I don't know anything about PC upgrade fees.
Old May 16, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by flymonthly
Yes, AS changed the tiers and prices for their paid upgrades earlier this year. The top tier (> 2100 miles) is now $199 whereas before the 1251-2500 mile tier was $100 (a steal IMO). I don't know anything about PC upgrade fees.
Thank you for that. The $100 upgrade certainly was a steal on the transcons, and fun while it lasted.

I'm still wondering how premium class, which was being sold on Monday for Thursday's flight for $59 suddenly went for $99 on Wednesday morning for the same flight. The issue here is whether this is now becoming a flexiblly-priced upgrade as opposed
to a set price.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:52 pm

To apply a gold guest upgrade to one of the direction of a rountrip (since U space opened up), I always first need to call in to remove me from the waitlist. And then after applying the upgrade I need to call in again to put me back on the waitlist for the segment I didn't upgrade.

Is there a faster/online way?
Old May 17, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
To apply a gold guest upgrade to one of the direction of a rountrip (since U space opened up), I always first need to call in to remove me from the waitlist. And then after applying the upgrade I need to call in again to put me back on the waitlist for the segment I didn't upgrade.

Is there a faster/online way?
If you have purchased an upgradeable fare and now want to upgrade with a GGU since space has opened up you will have to call in to have it applied.

They will only remove the one segment from the waitlist so it won't affect the other segments in your Itinerary with respect to waitlists.

If you are using a companion certificate there must be U2 available and 2 GGU's will be required to upgrade both parties.

James
Old May 18, 2018, 2:48 am

I usually only book flight tickets separately, or for myself only, so not familiar with the below situation. Appreciate if someone could clarify.

If I need to cancel AS flights in the future (2 passengers traveling on same PNR, booked on OTA website , cancel >60 days out), will the funds return to MyWallet of the primary passenger (ie the first person listed)?
Or do the funds get split up evenly between the MyWallet of two passengers?

Thanks.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
I usually only book flight tickets separately, or for myself only, so not familiar with the below situation. Appreciate if someone could clarify.

If I need to cancel AS flights in the future (2 passengers traveling on same PNR, booked on OTA website , cancel >60 days out), will the funds return to MyWallet of the primary passenger (ie the first person listed)?
Or do the funds get split up evenly between the MyWallet of two passengers?

Thanks.
The website will make it very clear who's wallet the funds are going to. In general, its the wallet of the person who is logged in at the time of cancellation (so technically someone can log into their alaska account, cancel a completely random person's flight, and get their flight credit into their wallet). Atleast that's my interpretation of it because I've often cancelled my husband's flights while logged in and gotten his flight credit into my wallet. Same for low-price-guarantee.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
The website will make it very clear who's wallet the funds are going to. In general, its the wallet of the person who is logged in at the time of cancellation (so technically someone can log into their alaska account, cancel a completely random person's flight, and get their flight credit into their wallet). Atleast that's my interpretation of it because I've often cancelled my husband's flights while logged in and gotten his flight credit into my wallet. Same for low-price-guarantee.
Not sure if that is totally true, from what I understand, to cancel a random persons flight I would first have to get that persons trip into my trips, which if I have the confirmation number I can do that. (so guard your confirmation number!) Only then could I cancel that flight. Admittedly, I have not entered a random person's ticket, but I have logged into my account and entered flights that my family is taking without me, such as when I book my flight as a paid with a discount code (to get the miles and the discount) and then use coupon for my husband and niece on a separate PNR (to maximize our discounts). I would get the money into my wallet if I cancelled their flight as nomiiiii;29768516 indicated.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by ctporter
Not sure if that is totally true, from what I understand, to cancel a random persons flight I would first have to get that persons trip into my trips, which if I have the confirmation number I can do that. (so guard your confirmation number!) Only then could I cancel that flight. Admittedly, I have not entered a random person's ticket, but I have logged into my account and entered flights that my family is taking without me, such as when I book my flight as a paid with a discount code (to get the miles and the discount) and then use coupon for my husband and niece on a separate PNR (to maximize our discounts). I would get the money into my wallet if I cancelled their flight as nomiiiii;29768516 indicated.

Great, thanks. I also hope it only goes to one Mywallet and not both.
​​​​​​​
Old May 18, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by gnomey
Great, thanks. I also hope it only goes to one Mywallet and not both.
You can always elect to receive the certificate(s?) & PIN(s?) via email, and deposit both into a single account.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:40 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
How long for an AA segment bought as a codeshare on AS website to post?

Had a flight earlier three days ago whose second segment was on AA. Bought the itinerary on AS website and, yes, in the shopping cart it showed an AS codeshare flight number.

The initial segment's miles (on AS) have posted already. How long, in the experience of folks who've done this, does it take for the AA segment's miles to post?
Old May 18, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

You can always elect to receive the certificate(s?) & PIN(s?) via email, and deposit both into a single account.
I see. Good to know! Thanks!
Old May 18, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Hi there. I'm searching for award availability from YYC-SEA in April of next year, and need it to be in the lowest fare bucket. I'm looking to tag this on to a J class Cathay award ticket which is currently starting in SEA. Right now the lowest bucket fares (10K) end on March 13th. Are there any data points out there on how far in advance the lowest bucket availability gets loaded into the system? Or could this be a calendar period when I shouldn't expect any low bucket availability? Any feedback is appreciated.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Had a flight earlier three days ago whose second segment was on AA. Bought the itinerary on AS website and, yes, in the shopping cart it showed an AS codeshare flight number.

The initial segment's miles (on AS) have posted already. How long, in the experience of folks who've done this, does it take for the AA segment's miles to post?
My last couple of AA flights (AS codeshares) took about a week to post to my AS account.
cblaisd likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by cblaisd

Originally Posted by flymonthly
My last couple of AA flights (AS codeshares) took about a week to post to my AS account.
Sounds like AS coded, AA operated take longer than AA coded AA operated? I'm not sure if the weekend had anything to do with it but I did separate itin's AS on Friday and AA on Saturday and both posted the same day on a Wednesday.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Sounds like AS coded, AA operated take longer than AA coded AA operated? I'm not sure if the weekend had anything to do with it but I did separate itin's AS on Friday and AA on Saturday and both posted the same day on a Wednesday.
My last AS coded AA operated flight was a few weeks ago on a Wednesday and it probably posted Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. IIRC, AA flights used to post weekly overnight Tuesday so maybe that's still the schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.