Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I just wanted to report a mileage ticket glitch when I tried to book a round trip ticket for a son. I think the issue was one-way cost 12,500 miles going and the return cost 10,000 miles. I kept getting an error message saying something like the segment combination doesn’t exist. Picking a different return flight (more miles), worked. The solution was to make 2 one-way reservations.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by T2A
If you're going for an upgrade as a non-elite I'd recommend checking into the flight at t24, and then again every hour or two until your flight. I had better luck on the full website vs the app. If the upgrade option never appears ask a agent when you get to the airport.
Does selecting Premium Class at T72 alter anything with first class wait listing for a lowly MVP?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:36 am
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by cragAK
Does selecting Premium Class at T72 alter anything with first class wait listing for a lowly MVP?
Nope! Has no bearing on you first class upgrade.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cragAK
If it did, I would never select premium.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:28 pm

Booked a flight using's wife Chase UR points. I may have to SDC (or cancel); I assume I'll be able to do this per normal rules? Won't allow online changes now.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
How long does it take for flights booked on VX website post?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Alaska MVPG75
Does booking paid first class on VX give same class of service bonus for Alaska EQM?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by faithful
Does booking paid first class on VX give same class of service bonus for Alaska EQM?
Yes, 75% COS bonus for paid F on VX.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Booked a flight using's wife Chase UR points. I may have to SDC (or cancel); I assume I'll be able to do this per normal rules? Won't allow online changes now.
After doing some more research it appears this will be treated just like any other reservation. It moved over to my normal "Purchased" list of trips and can be changed online now.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Is catering already standardized across the AS and former VX fleet? If not, will it be after April?

I'm flying in F on a former VX route (SFO-LAS) in June and just curious.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
Originally Posted by dcmike
Is catering already standardized across the AS and former VX fleet? If not, will it be after April?

I'm flying in F on a former VX route (SFO-LAS) in June and just curious.
I don't think so, I would think starting next year it would be
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Yes you can earn on AS partners in Asia just be aware the award charts are designed around those in the US so limited options for redeeming to places other than North America. Cathay Dragon is not a partner so that may limit you depending oin where you go with CX. Also Marco Polo members would have better award availability for CX than the partners. Remember to watch the lower fares that may earn little or no miles. SPG can be transferred to AS and there is AS credit card, Marriott has packages where you can spend like 250,000 points and get AS points plus week long hotel voucher. Other than that no good transfer deals since they are indirect and have major devalue such as Chase UR to Marriott to SPG to AS where you lose 1/3 of the value.
Thanks @CDKing! I think I'd need to look for a SPG credit card then as there is no AS card in Asia @@ i mainly go to JP and US so availability is actually great for these routes~
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Another "new to no status" question...

Do I understand correctly that "non-refundable" award tickets are actually refundable if canceled at least 60 days before departure, regardless of the status of the account from which the miles are redeemed? I'm trying to decide whether to book some award ticket placeholders to Florida for Christmas holiday...but plans are far from firm at this point...so I want to be able to cancel/redeposit...

Need to book AA flights, in case that matters...
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Another "new to no status" question...

Do I understand correctly that "non-refundable" award tickets are actually refundable if canceled at least 60 days before departure, regardless of the status of the account from which the miles are redeemed? I'm trying to decide whether to book some award ticket placeholders to Florida for Christmas holiday...but plans are far from firm at this point...so I want to be able to cancel/redeposit...

Need to book AA flights, in case that matters...
You won't get the $12.50-per-direction partner award booking fee back, but that's it.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by jinglish
You won't get the $12.50-per-direction partner award booking fee back, but that's it.
thanks for verifying... there are a few not-awful AA options, and I can live with eating the $12.50 fee if we end up canceling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.