Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:44 am
IHG Contributor Badge

I have a domestic economy fare booked with AA miles that includes the first leg on Alaska (shows up on the itinerary as an AS flight number). If I need to check bags, will they be charged according to the AS or AA pricing scheme? Thanks for any help!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
I don't travel in USA much and not so familiar with airlines and practices there. I am on Alaska 1910 out of SFO in F but no status with Alaska. Will I have access to a lounge? Which one?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Lucky_man
I don't travel in USA much and not so familiar with airlines and practices there. I am on Alaska 1910 out of SFO in F but no status with Alaska. Will I have access to a lounge? Which one?
Lounge access on first class ticket (not upgrade) is limited to actual Alaska lounges, which are currently in JFK, LAX, PDX, SEA & ANC
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
I apologize if this specific question has been answered elsewhere -- I searched and couldn't find it -- but is it possible to status-match on AS this late in the year if it's clear that I likely won't retain my status (meaning any status at all) on another airline in 2019? I'm currently an AA Platinum, and while I saw that AS usually status-matches those as MVP Gold, I wasn't sure if it applied in my case. Just FYI, I already have enough miles to make AA Gold next year, but I'm about $1,000 short of their EQD requirement.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by kirker
I apologize if this specific question has been answered elsewhere -- I searched and couldn't find it -- but is it possible to status-match on AS this late in the year if it's clear that I likely won't retain my status (meaning any status at all) on another airline in 2019? I'm currently an AA Platinum, and while I saw that AS usually status-matches those as MVP Gold, I wasn't sure if it applied in my case. Just FYI, I already have enough miles to make AA Gold next year, but I'm about $1,000 short of their EQD requirement.
I don't think that would be an issue. You should still be granted a status match, though I wouldn't call out you're short of the EQD requirement when you request.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kirker
Some airlines have started requesting info from the other carrier before granting status matches, but even that is only to verify that status was attained organically and not through a match or some other promotion. Not hitting all of your qualification requirements for the current year is a very common situation for a status match anyway.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
This has probably been asked many times in here before but - do the "bonuses" that result from flying short segments count as EQM? If I book a trip with a few short segments can I count on getting 500 EQM from each of them? Note: I don't currently have status. (If the answer is yes, then I'll make MVP).

Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by mildfrequence
This has probably been asked many times in here before but - do the "bonuses" that result from flying short segments count as EQM? If I book a trip with a few short segments can I count on getting 500 EQM from each of them? Note: I don't currently have status. (If the answer is yes, then I'll make MVP).

Thanks!
Yes, if you fly say 300 miles (i.e LAX-SFO) you will get 500 EQM and 500 RQM.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by safari ari
Yes, if you fly say 300 miles (i.e LAX-SFO) you will get 500 EQM and 500 RQM.
And Class of Service bonuses also count and are based on the 500 mile minimum base mileage, so a LAX-SFO flight in paid First (75% CoS bonus) will net 825 EQM/825 RDM.

Not sure where the OP is picking up segments— note that at least one partner (Cathay Pacific) does not have the 500 mile minimum.

Originally Posted by mildfrequence
This has probably been asked many times in here before
Not to worry! This is the Flame Free Q&A thread for new and old alike.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by rustykettel

And Class of Service bonuses also count and are based on the 500 mile minimum base mileage, so a LAX-SFO flight in paid First (75% CoS bonus) will net 825 EQM/825 RDM.

Not sure where the OP is picking up segments— note that at least one partner (Cathay Pacific) does not have the 500 mile minimum.

Not to worry! This is the Flame Free Q&A thread for new and old alike.
Good info, thanks
They're all AS/QX fyi.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:48 pm

New poster, old question

My wife will hit the 40k mark for MVP Gold on her next flight to Hawaii. On her return flight 5 days later, will she be in the Gold upgrade queue or still in the MVP queue because that’s what she was when the reservation was made? There is a long thread on this in the FAQ where it is strongly suggested that the system will NOT automatically upgrade her queue, and that one has to execute a maneuver of deleting and readding one’s FF number. However, the last posts in that old thread suggest that glitch MAY have been fixed—-but those posts are not clear to me. Does anyone know?

Second question: I’m a mere MVP on the same reservation and I don’t expect to be upgraded, but can the system upgrade her without upgrading me? It’s not a companion certificate reservation.

Thanks to to the kind posters from whom I have learned much.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Waive change fee if miles for gold have not yet posted?

Has anyone had any luck getting AS to waive a SDC fee when you have flown the miles for gold but they have not yet posted?

I'll be in this situation at the end of the year. SFO-LAX gets me to gold; LAX-SFO at 6am the next morning was a very cheap flight that I'm looking to SDC to a more civilized hour.

If not, it is only $25, and still works out to be the same or cheaper than booking a later flight originally, so no big deal.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Has anyone had any luck getting AS to waive a SDC fee when you have flown the miles for gold but they have not yet posted?

I'll be in this situation at the end of the year. SFO-LAX gets me to gold; LAX-SFO at 6am the next morning was a very cheap flight that I'm looking to SDC to a more civilized hour.

If not, it is only $25, and still works out to be the same or cheaper than booking a later flight originally, so no big deal.
Customer service agents at the airport are *able* to waive the fee rather easily. Whether or not they do is a different matter. Back when I was MVP, I had a CSR waive the SDC fee a few times due to the circumstances, so I would imagine you could convince someone to do it for you. Not sure if a phone agent will though.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, airport agent. That's a good tip. Right after I land in LAX I'll see if I can get a ticketing agent to do it. I have less than a 24 hr turnaround so it works out well.

May as well start using those gold benefits as soon as possible!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:19 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I noticed tonight that my reservation is upgraded to F. I was surprised because it was a last minute purchase; but it is a B fare. Does that fare class trump others on the complimentary upgrade list? (Never bought such an expensive fare class before But this was a work requirement and work-paid-for )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.