MVP Gold Benefits on LATAM?

Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
MVP Gold Benefits on LATAM?

Considering flights on LatAm to visit Machu Pichu this year.

My wife is MVP Gold. Not clear from website but any benefits this status gets us on LatAm?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Nothing. See:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rtner-benefits
viperbrown, missamo80 and Jma12 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
that helps! This makes me want to fly Avianca where we're *Gold.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Well, you can earn AS miles ^
(depends on fare class, operating carrier and flight #)
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
I really wish elites had better international partner benefits.
tobikosan and ftv like this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by thegingninj
I really wish elites had better international partner benefits.
Until AS joins an alliance, its all whatever they can negotiate into their individual partnership agreements.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
LOL trying to convince them that they have partners outside of oneworld and that Alaska is a real airline that partners with them is an "unpublished benefit"
PABE likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by keitherson
LOL trying to convince them that they have partners outside of oneworld and that Alaska is a real airline that partners with them is an "unpublished benefit"
I've had some limited luck with this before and LA Was checking luggage. Having plastic cards can help.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Well, you can earn AS miles ^
(depends on fare class, operating carrier and flight #)
True. If flight schedules and prices are fairly similar between AS/Latam and UA/Avianca, then will definitely calculate which options gives us max elite qualifying miles.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by viperbrown
True. If flight schedules and prices are fairly similar between AS/Latam and UA/Avianca, then will definitely calculate which options gives us max elite qualifying miles.
Well, most of the airlines that connect in Latin America from the US to Peru (as opposed to LATAM which flies nonstop from LAX and MIA to LIM) do it with narrow-body planes. So forget about lie-flat in business class. OTOH, many of them have daytime flights from the US to LIM, so you may not need to sleep and thus not care that much if it's just recliner rather than lie-flat.

I'm not sure what Avianca flies, but both Taca and Copa* fly narrow-body planes with recliner seats in business class, and both offer daytime flights to LIM (at least from LAX where I am based). I'm looking into that because while I got an award flight on LATAM for my return, LATAM has not released award flights LAX-LIM to partners for any date that works for me, and LAN does not price paid one-way flights reasonably.

Copy's daytime 1-stop flights LAX-LIM for some reason don't show up on UA's website , even though Copa is also Star Alliance, but do show up on Kayak or on Copa's own website.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, most of the airlines that connect in Latin America from the US to Peru (as opposed to LATAM which flies nonstop from LAX and MIA to LIM) do it with narrow-body planes. So forget about lie-flat in business class. OTOH, many of them have daytime flights from the US to LIM, so you may not need to sleep and thus not care that much if it's just recliner rather than lie-flat.

I'm not sure what Avianca flies, but both Taca and Copa* fly narrow-body planes with recliner seats in business class, and both offer daytime flights to LIM (at least from LAX where I am based). I'm looking into that because while I got an award flight on LATAM for my return, LATAM has not released award flights LAX-LIM to partners for any date that works for me, and LAN does not price paid one-way flights reasonably.

Copy's daytime 1-stop flights LAX-LIM for some reason don't show up on UA's website , even though Copa is also Star Alliance, but do show up on Kayak or on Copa's own website.
I do think there's something wonky with Copa. I see it on Google Flights too but not on United for some reason. On United I see Avianca/Taca.

Good points on the seat types. The Avianca flights are operated by Taca which has recliners on these legs. Recliner seats is why I didn't get excited when I saw discounted Business awards on my dates. Cheapest flights I'm seeing are from/to LAX so that's what I think I'll do, even though I'm based out of SFO/OAK. I'm flying into Cuzco so kinda indifferent between direct LatAm vs. Avianca/Taca options.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

Because UA will only show results that it can either (1) ticket (2) interline or (3) make money from.

Also, one of those airlines will be getting lie-flats soon. I won't say which.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Well, most of the airlines that connect in Latin America from the US to Peru (as opposed to LATAM which flies nonstop from LAX and MIA to LIM) do it with narrow-body planes. ... I'm not sure what Avianca flies ...
I’ve seen AV 787s at LAX and A330s at JFK, presumably operating to/from Bogota

both those routes show up when I’m looking to go to the Galapagos in Oct, but I think we’ll take LAN — 763 in J LAX-LIM, 320 in Premium Economy LIM-UIO; 763/787 in J GYE-LIM-LAX — $1285 each

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 4, 2018 at 12:41 am
Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:01 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Any update since joining OW? Delta Plat gives lots of benefits compare to AS but of course I want to credit to AS... Or is there a way to switch FF number for LATAM after getting in the lounge?

Thx in advance
Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: Some more than others
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Any update since joining OW? Delta Plat gives lots of benefits compare to AS but of course I want to credit to AS... Or is there a way to switch FF number for LATAM after getting in the lounge?

Thx in advance
Since LA is no longer part of OW then OW benefits wouldn't apply. It appears that the AS/LA partnership is limited to earning and burning miles and doesn't confer any status-related benefits.

You might be able to get the lounge or gate agent to switch the FF number or alternatively keep the AS number in there and present a DL card for luggage/lounge/other benefits. Some airlines are okay with that whereas others don't allow it. You may want to check on the LA board to see if anyone has done that sort of thing on LA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.