Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My only point here is that when there are very few choices, simplicity wins over flair. Appealing to the widest possible audience should be the goal. With a wide range of choices, flair is appreciated.

Of course nothing will make everyone happy; that doesn't mean that it's not worthwhile to make as many people happy as possible. It's an optimization problem, not all-or-nothing.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:56 pm

I'm a corporate travel agent and lately, I've been getting more and more ridiculous meal requests from clients when they fly. "Please tell Alaska I'm a vegetarian but I will eat fish & chicken, but not red meat" ... Seriously people, it's an airplane - NOT A RESTAURANT! The best reply from Alaska regarding meal service question was: Please advise your client they are more than welcome to bring their own food onboard. I enjoy this forum to review what Alaska Airlines is serving but find some of these comments about what should/should not be served due to your preference or dietary needs is comical. Happy Flying!
be_rettSEA and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ASMan
I"Please tell Alaska I'm a vegetarian but I will eat fish & chicken, but not red meat" ...
This is awesome. "I'm a vegetarian but I don't know what vegetarian means".

I knew someone who thought she was a vegetarian because she wouldn't eat steak. She was good with burgers though. I think she just didn't like steak.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd

Personally, the Persian chicken is one of my favorites.
I really enjoy it as well. It actually has flavor!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Date of Flight: December 19, 2018
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 712 - SEA-STL
Time of Departure: 5:50 pm
Length of flight: 3 hours 40 minutes
Class of service: First (P Class)
Meal served: Dinner (Pre-ordered)

No PDB offered. Dinner Service started with the flight attendant showcasing 2 new wines. I went for the Broken Earth cabernet, which was later substituted for the Ranch 32.

Roasted boneless chicken breast marinated with Pernod, citrus, and herbs. Served with fragrant saffron basmati rice, sauteéed Swiss chard, caramelized fennel, and a roasted Clementine Slice.

Dessert was a warm chocolate chip cookie. This is a nice departure from the roon I am used to on SkyWest flights.

Seattle Chocolate - Candy Cane Truffle prior to landing.

Good meal and excellent service on this flight.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
Recent SEA-IAD, was given a choice in the app between Braised Top Blade with Fennel and Vegetarian Bibimbap. Pre-ordered the Braised Top Blade, was told it was not available and that I would be getting the Bibimbap instead. I don't think the Airbus crews are used to pre-orders yet, so be aware that it may take a few weeks. (However, as I paid for F because I needed the EQMs, I thought that I'd have first choice, but anywaaaaay)

The bibimbap was served in a very small bowl that looked more suited for ice cream. It could have been the size of the bread plate for all I know. While the taste was actually good, I don't think the size of the bowl makes for a substantial food option. Even if one is vegetarian, I don't think that necessarily means you eat less.

The promised ice cream wasn't served, but there may have been catering errors this flight--supposedly we were to have also received a mesclun salad as well as a carrot ginger bisque. Didn't get the soup either. FA served meal all at once and disappeared all flight. Not the strongest showing from AS.
Carfield likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by obnoxoid
Recent SEA-IAD, was given a choice in the app between Braised Top Blade with Fennel and Vegetarian Bibimbap. Pre-ordered the Braised Top Blade, was told it was not available and that I would be getting the Bibimbap instead. I don't think the Airbus crews are used to pre-orders yet, so be aware that it may take a few weeks. (However, as I paid for F because I needed the EQMs, I thought that I'd have first choice, but anywaaaaay)

The bibimbap was served in a very small bowl that looked more suited for ice cream. It could have been the size of the bread plate for all I know. While the taste was actually good, I don't think the size of the bowl makes for a substantial food option. Even if one is vegetarian, I don't think that necessarily means you eat less.

The promised ice cream wasn't served, but there may have been catering errors this flight--supposedly we were to have also received a mesclun salad as well as a carrot ginger bisque. Didn't get the soup either. FA served meal all at once and disappeared all flight. Not the strongest showing from AS.
write it up please.
Carfield likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: Various
BOS-LAX Dinner AS 1367 Dec 16

Date of Flight: December 16, 2018
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 167 - BOS - LAX
Aircraft: A-321 N927VA
Time of Departure: 6:15 PM
Length of flight: 7 hours, 02 minutes
Class of service: First
Meal served: Dinner
Meal Description: mini water at seat, PDB, then Menu, Beverage/Meal order, and hot towel. No pre-select, due to upgrade at T24. No meal selection, due to being 2D. Entree choice: Roasted Cod (only entree available) OR Spinach Ravioli. Meal served as one tray, then dessert later. Snack basket 1.5 hrs before landing. Unlimited drink refills, Blankets w/o pillow.
This was one of the less impressive full meals I’ve had this year. The meal was a bit dry and hard to eat; roasted carrots were not yet al dente. Odd variety of flavors, but “fishy fish” for sure.

Last edited by Robt760; Dec 31, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: Various
IAD-LAX Breakfast AS 1089

Date of Flight: December 19, 2018
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 1089- IAD - LAX
Aircraft: A320
Time of Departure: 7:35AM
Length of flight: 6 hours, 05minutes
Meal served: Breakfast
Meal Description: Coffee/mini water PDB, No Menu, Beverage Service and hot towel. Fruit smoothie shot as starter. Cinnamon nut bread\roll + butter. Entree choice: Caramelized onion and Gruyere cheese frittata + bacon strips on the side, with sweet potato/mushroom hash OR Apple Cheese Crepes with eggs and bacon on the side. Snack basket 1.5 hrs before landing- But only bananas or granola bars loaded. Unlimited drink refills, Blankets w/o pillow.

Average in-flight Breakfast IMO; entree choice of Crepes. The crepes were filled with sliced apple that had been cooked in brown butter, but were dry. I was expecting brown butter over the Crepes, but not the case. Frittata wins from here on out.

Last edited by Robt760; Jan 1, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Bets on who will post The Last Supper of 2018?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Robt760
Date of Flight: December 16, 2018
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 167 - BOS - LAX
Aircraft: A-321 N927VA
Time of Departure: 6:15 PM
Length of flight: 7 hours, 02 minutes
Meal served: Dinner
Meal Description: mini water at seat, PDB, then Menu, Beverage/Meal order, and hot towel. No pre-select, due to upgrade at T24. No meal selection, due to being 2D. Entree choice: Roasted Cod (only entree available) OR Spinach Ravioli. Meal served as one tray, then dessert later. Snack basket 1.5 hrs before landing. Unlimited drink refills, Blankets w/o pillow.
This was one of the less impressive full meals I’ve had this year. The meal was a bit dry and hard to eat; roasted carrots were not yet al dente. Odd variety of flavors, but “fishy fish” for sure.

Talk about head wind... 7 hours, and of course the FA pushed service quickly with one tray service, no reason to do it that way since they have PLENTY of time to serve is as course by course.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:12 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
FA pushed service quickly with one tray service, no reason to do it that way since they have PLENTY of time to serve is as course by course.
With a 6:15P departure, I would be OK with a single-tray service, then dessert, especially if it were a -900 with 16F. I realize this is very much a YMMV.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Date of Flight: December 27, 2018
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 3336 - SAN - AUS
Aircraft: E175 (Skywest)
Time of Departure: 8:105AM
Length of flight: 2 hours, 55minutes
Meal served: Breakfast

No PDB - small bottles of water shortly after we were seated.
We were offered a beverage service after departure. FA then disappeared, bringing out trays with a bacon and egg breakfast sandwich and some fruit. I specifically asked for a healthy choice, told none were available (!?!). After clearing trays, FA drew the curtain, hid in the galley for the remainder of the flight. When the Y FA came up to chat, I used the restroom, asked for another round of beverages.
One of the least motivated, indifferent FAs I have experienced on AS/OO.

Somewhat OT: Despite there being 6 empty seats in first, I was not upgraded by the system. When gate agents arrived, opened the flight, I asked nicely if any upgrades were available, as the standard system displays were not functioning for this flight. Gate agent mumbled something noncommittal, I returned to my seat. When the flight began to board, I went back to the counter, asked a second GA (Supervisor) about upgrades, had to remind her that I had a companion traveling on the same reservation.

Sent an Alaska Listens note on both items for the flight on December 28, have not yet received a response.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Bets on who will post The Last Supper of 2018?
I guess I might be the winner here....LOL....

12/30/18
AS #696
ORD-PDX

Had the previously photographed chicken meal: Roasted boneless chicken breast marinated with Pernod, citrus, and herbs. Served with fragrant saffron basmati rice, sauteéed Swiss chard, caramelized fennel, and a roasted Clementine Slice.

The only difference between the meal previous reported and mine was that the cookie was a warm snicker doodle instead of chocolate chip.

Honestly, this meal looked way better in photos than it tasted....my wife had the same meal and didn't care for it either. The chicken was ok, but rather bland and the orange flavor certainly didn't help. Neither of us care for chard, but we do eat various versions of rice quite a bit (fried, pilaf, steamed white, etc.)....unfortunately this rice just didn't do it for us....kinda odd flavor. The best part of the meal was the warm cookie which is standard on a lot of AA flights and something I've always enjoyed so I'm glad to see AS incorporating this as a desert option for their first class catering. On a side note, flew AA F from DFW-PDX last night had a delicious chicken breast in mushroom sauce with a cheesy twice baked potato....simple yet flavorful and we both clean our plates For desert we had a few scoops of tasty strawberry ice cream....once again, simple yet flavorful...hopefully AS will move in a similar direction in the future with their F catering or perhaps at least have one "complicated" and one "simple" option.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:23 pm

1/2/19: DAL-SEA (Skywest E175).

Warm turkey sandwich, with roasted peppers, melted cheese, etc. served with chips and a chocolate. Dessert was a warm snicker doodle about an hour before landing. The sandwich was definitely tasty, but a little underwhelming for a mid-con flight — I had the same sandwich LAS-SEA about 2 weeks earlier, where a sandwich seemed more appropriate for the flight length.

Very attentive FA. She kept drinks fully the entire flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.