Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
It was cooked spinach and warm beets, pretty good IMO.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
It was cooked spinach and warm beets, pretty good IMO.
Wow....my two least favorite veggies on one plate...what are the odds....lol. For some reason the risotto cakes look like the hashbrown casserole from Cracker Barrel...maybe that's why they look so good
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Wow....my two least favorite veggies on one plate...what are the odds....lol. For some reason the risotto cakes look like the hashbrown casserole from Cracker Barrel...maybe that's why they look so good
I really liked the risotto cakes. Hopefully you will as well.
PDXPremier likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
A hot omelette, bacon, diced potatoes, roll and butter. All tasted great.
PDXPremier likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
What will Santa bring mealwise?

Happen to be flying AS in First Class on Dec 25 during the evening dinner hour ... any expectation of a "Christmas Dinner" or is this just an ordinary day as far as AS is concerned?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by BH62
Happen to be flying AS in First Class on Dec 25 during the evening dinner hour ... any expectation of a "Christmas Dinner" or is this just an ordinary day as far as AS is concerned?
Would anticipate an ordinary dinner, but would probably depend on individual FAs going the extra mile to do something beyond the standard offering. I flew a trans-con in F on Christmas morning last year, and there wasn't anything different than previous breakfast F flights on the route. They may do something different for dinner, but I wouldn't anticipate a turkey dinner or something beyond what's typically offered on the route.

More senior FAs (in my experience, the ones who would be willing to do something more special) are also more likely to put their route bids in that do not include flying on Christmas, so you're likely to get someone who was just assigned to the route, and probably isn't thrilled to be working on Christmas.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Two flights, two meals.

Date of Flight: December 16, 2018
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 3465 - PDX-DAL
Time of Departure: 12PM
Length of flight: 3 hours 45 minutes
Class of service: First (U Class)
Meal served: Lunch

We were offered a choice of a Turkey Burger or a Protein Plate. I opted for the burger which came with a bag of chips, lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup, and guacamole. The bun was dry and crunchy but was otherwise satisfying when put together. The chips were refreshingly fresh.

Date of Flight: December 17, 2018
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 3497 - DAL-SFO
Time of Departure: 9AM
Length of flight: 4 hours-ish
Class of service: First (F Class, rebooked from a cancelled flight)
Meal served: United Continental Breakfast. Kinda bare bones compared to the omelettes that used to be served on this flight. Didn't care for the yogurt. The bread had some flavor in it that was satisfying.

Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Finally...a guacamole cheeseburger on an Alaska flight....with chips too! Yum! I wished they served that kinda "comfort" food on my flights more often.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Turkey burger ... typical AS catering with divisive ingredient choices.
PDXPremier likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I have to agree, beef burgers are normally dry on planes then AS goes and uses Turkey... But +1 for Gauc!!
PDXPremier likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
They do seem to do this a lot. Last time I got upgraded on a flight that had a meal the meat option (Persian chicken I think?) looked so bad that I pre-ordered the cheese plate and grabbed a burger before the flight (the burger place at SFO T2 is pretty good) I'd probably do the same if the meat option was a turkey burger.

The cheese plate is pretty good though, so it's not a bad option.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
They do seem to do this a lot. Last time I got upgraded on a flight that had a meal the meat option (Persian chicken I think?) looked so bad that I pre-ordered the cheese plate and grabbed a burger before the flight (the burger place at SFO T2 is pretty good) I'd probably do the same if the meat option was a turkey burger.

The cheese plate is pretty good though, so it's not a bad option.
Personally, the Persian chicken is one of my favorites.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Personally, the Persian chicken is one of my favorites.
Yeah.. it's divisive

If there are only 1 or 2 options for a meal then I think it's better to keep things simple. The goal should not be to serve the "best" possible food (whatever that means) but rather to serve the food that the most people are willing to eat.

If there are lots of options then it's totally different, of course.

I'm just glad that I really like cheese, so there's always an option that I like (even if it's not a full meal). Also the cheese plate has pretty good quality cheese.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Date of Flight: December 18, 2018
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 40 ADQ-ANC
Time of Departure: 5 PM
Length of flight: 40
Class of service: F
Meal served: Snack Basket offered prior to departure due to the short flight time. The Pop Chips were stale and flavorless
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:40 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think it's better to keep things simple. The goal should not be to serve the "best" possible food (whatever that means) but rather to serve the food that the most people are willing to eat.
There are no safe or even near-safe options. People's tastes have grown one or two magnitudes more particular. Even simple, basic, once-universally accepted selections are now shunned by multiple groups for multiple reasons. A good example is a turkey and Swiss sandwich:
Turkey not eaten by vegetarians.
Swiss not eaten by vegans.
Bread not eaten by Atkins.
Crafting airline menus is a losing proposition. Everyone is a critic and nothing satisfies everyone or even most everyone.

AS' food has gotten better. I appreciate the creativity and the flair. Those with more restrictive diets are best served by self-catering.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.