Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Warm turkey beats cold roast beef every time!

Originally Posted by osubeavers01
Choice of protein plate or turkey sandwich (same one posted up thread). I really enjoyed the sandwich. They warmed it up enough to make the cheese deliciously melty and I thought it was far superior to the (cold) roast beef sandwich I’ve had on recent flights.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
AS 771 DCA - PDX on 12/10

Had the same choice of beef or gnocchi that has been on this route previously. I usually get the cheese plate, since both options come with mushrooms. However, when chatting with the flight attendant, she shared that the mushroom are provided in a separate tin that they dump onto the gnocchi, so she kindly left them off for me. Flight attendants were very attentive and came through the cabin multiple times with the snack basket. I skipped the desert, but it was a Snickerdoodle ice cream

pcoll likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
ANC-PDX F

AS seems to have come along way in F for food quality and quantity since dumpster days of 2017, this was my previous F meal last year on EWR-SJC:
What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Now this is what I got this week, 2 choices were the Persian chicken entrée and this intriguing sounding Risotto cake entree which I chose and it did not disappoint. The dessert was that salted caramel brownie from a famous Portland joint, that was great also. This is probably one of the best domestic F entrées I have had in last couple of years.. Too bad I am losing my MVP 75 status all the way to the basement next year. Only if AS could build up in SFO, I will bring all my flying from AA and DL to them, but it looks like that is not happening.

Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:51 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Zlo-Lax

Some sort of chicken breast with a sweet-savory sauce and maybe raisins in it? Don't worry there was polenta! The accompanying vegetable were roasted brussel sprouts. No salad. Roons for dessert in a disgusting pumpkin spice flavor. I was happy with the chicken.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
On this morning's 7:55 SFO-EWR (smoothies not loaded - F/A said it was the first day with the new menu):

I did a SDC the night before from the 9:40am departure. Cleared the upgrade list 40 mins before departure along with 4 others for the Airbus flight.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Color menus now. Wow. The graphics are out of place, imo, for a First Class product. Looks like a low end chain restaurant. But it’s consistent with AS’ branding so that’s what important.

Noting the first paragraph, AS must have someone reading some of the meal reviews up thread..
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Color menus now. Wow. The graphics are out of place, imo, for a First Class product. Looks like a low end chain restaurant. But it’s consistent with AS’ branding so that’s what important.
We are probably lucky that menus still exist on a few routes...
rustykettel likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX

We are probably lucky that menus still exist on a few routes...
I think there are fewer routes now with menus than there were before the menu expansion initiative.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

I think there are fewer routes now with menus than there were before the menu expansion initiative.
The routes that have menus are the Premium Transcon routes (basically most all east coast and Hawaii cities from SEA/PDX/SFO/SJC/LAX/SAN/PSP). Honestly, I think it's a nice menu. It's not a 5 star restaurant - but the menu is sleek and easy to understand. The big 3 airlines probably provide a nicer menu on the a small handful of routes but do they even provide menus a majority of their transcon routes? I think they're attempting to emulate some of the more "hip" aspects of the VX product, hence the informality that you may be speaking about.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
AS seems to have come along way in F for food quality and quantity since dumpster days of 2017, this was my previous F meal last year on EWR-SJC:
What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Now this is what I got this week, 2 choices were the Persian chicken entrée and this intriguing sounding Risotto cake entree which I chose and it did not disappoint. The dessert was that salted caramel brownie from a famous Portland joint, that was great also. This is probably one of the best domestic F entrées I have had in last couple of years.. Too bad I am losing my MVP 75 status all the way to the basement next year. Only if AS could build up in SFO, I will bring all my flying from AA and DL to them, but it looks like that is not happening.

I have the risotto cake option coming up in a few weeks and it does look good from the picture....I actually had to Google to investigate what risotto really was...honestly don't think I've ever had it before, but the side next to it looks dreadful...what is that? Cooked spinach? Ewwwwwww....yuck. Do you think the spinach is already plated with the risotto cakes or can I ask for just the risotto cakes on the plate?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
The routes that have menus are the Premium Transcon routes (basically most all east coast and Hawaii cities from SEA/PDX/SFO/SJC/LAX/SAN/PSP). Honestly, I think it's a nice menu. It's not a 5 star restaurant - but the menu is sleek and easy to understand. The big 3 airlines probably provide a nicer menu on the a small handful of routes but do they even provide menus a majority of their transcon routes? I think they're attempting to emulate some of the more "hip" aspects of the VX product, hence the informality that you may be speaking about.
I think the confusion lies in the fact that for awhile there, every flight with meal service in F seemed to have a menu so people got use to it and then when they went away again (like the infamous "small plates" service), folks felt like they were "missing" something. Just last August, I got a menu on a relatively short SBA-PDX flight.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I think the confusion lies in the fact that for awhile there, every flight with meal service in F seemed to have a menu so people got use to it and then when they went away again (like the infamous "small plates" service), folks felt like they were "missing" something. Just last August, I got a menu on a relatively short SBA-PDX flight.
The small plates experiment is a perfect example of one step forward and a one and half steps backward. F&C (or Y hot entree) substitution was ended because of the greater choice and quantity. Yet when small plates ended, the no substitution policy stuck.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:48 pm

Yeah, some of the decisions they make cause a lot of us to scratch our heads. They added menus to any flight with a choice - which was most flights at the time. Then, several months later they decided to ditch them, I'm assuming to save money. The FA's loved having them so as not to have to describe the options over and over - it also took away the opportunity for some FA's not familiar with certain ingredients to murder a description. If cost were the motivating factor for removing them, how they didn't know how much it was going to cost before they implemented them is a little confusing. Nobody disliked having them - the most negative comment I heard (and not often) was that they weren't really necessary. In any case - they're gone now on all flights other than transcon and Hawaii routes. Much like the small plates menu that everyone enjoyed - and lasted for a short time - it seems like a poorly thought out decision to add them in the first place as it just confused people.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:50 pm

I have the risotto cake option coming up in a few weeks and it does look good from the picture....I actually had to Google to investigate what risotto really was...honestly don't think I've ever had it before, but the side next to it looks dreadful...what is that? Cooked spinach? Ewwwwwww....yuck. Do you think the spinach is already plated with the risotto cakes or can I ask for just the risotto cakes on the plate?
you can ask to have the side left off as it's plated in the galley. I know you probably won't like it - but the sides are actually delicious... IMO
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
you can ask to have the side left off as it's plated in the galley. I know you probably won't like it - but the sides are actually delicious... IMO
What is it? I actually like most veggies (beans, peas, corn, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, etc.), but cooked spinach (and beets) are a no-go Speaking of veggies, I'd like to see more asparagus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.