Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by tusphotog
it seems in my very limited experience recently that crews are a little friendlier and more attentive than before.
Are you referring to the ex-Virgin America crews or Alaska as a whole? I think we'd all agree that the problem is limited to a small percentage of employees. Mainly, I'm referring to flight attendants as from my experience Alaska's ground staff have been uniformly excellent.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Are you referring to the ex-Virgin America crews or Alaska as a whole? I think we'd all agree that the problem is limited to a small percentage of employees. Mainly, I'm referring to flight attendants as from my experience Alaska's ground staff have been uniformly excellent.
Its totally mixed for me. My SEA-BWI flight had some of the laziest FAs I've ever seen in my 30 plus years of flying AS. My flight last night DCA-SEA was a 180 degree different experience and Alaska will hopefully listen.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
There was a period over the summer where I was stuck with AS crews that would ignore passengers, including one PDX-SEA flight where the FAs were talking about how much better jetBlue was and how they hated working at AS. Who knows if it was because I was flying with junior crews or if it was the luck of the draw, but I've noticed the AS FAs with the 10, 15 or 20 year service pins are generally really good. Haven't been on a PMVX plane since August.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
For what it's worth, all front line, customer facing employees are slated to go through "reprogramming" (my friend's word, not mine), that will address service standards, customer service expectations etc. No clue if those service standards indicate they should serve meals in courses on long flights, but it seems in my very limited experience recently that crews are a little friendlier and more attentive than before.
As of this week all flight attendants have completed the Transition Training program that addresses service standards (as well as FAA-required A320/737 series training depending on which side you originally came from). The only routes that are served in courses (but can be served as one on request) are Hawaii, Florida, DC area, and New England (NYC, PHL, BOS). All other transcons also get a separate dessert course, but fruit/salad and entree are the same course.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: AS, QF, SK
Man, their F offering was always a little weak, but they've really cut what was left of it off at the knees.

SEA>DEN: Turkey sandwich w/ gouda and basil. Way too much basil, had to peel it off. Nothing else, just the sandwich. Not even a damn condiment. No secondary service either
DEN>SEA: Roast beef sandwich. Decent, but again, just a sandwich with no condiments. I see they've reduced the nut bowl to about a 1"x1" bowl, and got rid of all those "super expensive" cashews, only filling it with almonds and 1 walnut chunk. Since the only nuts I ate out of the "old" trays were the cashews and peanuts...well, that's the end of that, I suppose.

Combine this with the slap in the face known as the "Saver" fares (which are just stripped down tickets that cost the same amount as the old tickets, thus being a de facto price hike as they try to emulate UA), and I just don't see any purpose here aside from that one DEN route, and even that only because the other options are so much worse thanks to the UA/Frontier stranglehold on the airport.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=tusphotog;30497653
For what it's worth, all front line, customer facing employees are slated to go through "reprogramming" (my friend's word, not mine), that will address service standards, customer service expectations etc. No clue if those service standards indicate they should serve meals in courses on long flights, but it seems in my very limited experience recently that crews are a little friendlier and more attentive than before.[/QUOTE]

IF the airlines really cared about how customers are treated they would take steps to ensure the new "reprogramming" sticks and employee's adhere to the new standards, but we know that doesn't happen.
tusphotog and rustykettel like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

Date of Flight: December 02, 2018
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 443 DEN-SEA
Time of Departure: 6:25pm
Length of flight: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Class of service: First
Meal served: Dinner
Meal Description: Turkey Sandwich. I remember when we used to get a nice hot pasta and chicken dish on these evening departures between Denver and Seattle and vice versa. I also remember those cheesy pressed turkey sandwiches from about ten years ago, so this one was certainly an upgrade from those. It was a decently sized sandwich with a good amount of meat and cheese (I supplied the Grey Poupon) but still, it seems more like a luncheon entree to me...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 6, 2018 at 11:23 am
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Quintious
DEN>SEA: Roast beef sandwich.
Which flight? Not bad for mid-afternoon but weak for the evening departure.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Dec 5.
length of flight 4.5 hours
Class of service: F
evening departure.

pre-departure beverage. bottle of water. nothing else.
1/2 sandwich of turkey with pesto . Served with a bowl of bean/lentil soup. Soup was hot and was nicely spiced. I liked it. (totally opposite when compared to the minestrone in the lounge which was awful) .
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE

Flight Number and Route flown: AS 442 DEN-SEA
Originally Posted by mbluecpa

Isn't this AS 443? Then it would be the 18:25 departure flight.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Dec 5.
length of flight 4.5 hours
Class of service: F
evening departure.

pre-departure beverage. bottle of water. nothing else.
1/2 sandwich of turkey with pesto . Served with a bowl of bean/lentil soup. Soup was hot and was nicely spiced. I liked it. (totally opposite when compared to the minestrone in the lounge which was awful) .
Flight # and from and to ?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by safari ari
Isn't this AS 443? Then it would be the 18:25 departure flight.
Nope. Flight info not indicated in the post I quoted.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I was offered, what I believe are 2 new dishes, for pre-order on an upcoming SEA-STL dinner flight. Roasted chicken with Clementines (not a novel idea but haven't heard the clementine twist) or Vegetarian Bibimbap.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS, QF, SK
Originally Posted by mbluecpa

It was the 5:45 (17:45) flight. I was expecting dinner.

I was disappointed.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Date of Flight: December 06, 2018
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 62 ANC-SIT
Time of Departure: 7:50 AM
Length of flight: 1 hours, 30 minutes
Class of service: First
Meal served: Snack basket
Meal Description: I asked if this was the normal service on the flight and she said she had never seen it before. Perhaps mis-catered.

Young female flight attendant was awesome! And I usually dread "young" in the F cabin.

Last edited by BOB W; Dec 7, 2018 at 1:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.