Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by BaconSF
On F, BNA to SFO. Didn’t like the two choices on the menu, so I asked for the fruit and cheese platter. FA told me that they charge for it unless it’s preordered, is this true? He told me he’ll let it fly this time, but in the future to preorder fruit & cheese platters.
Yes, I believe that is still officially correct. Unless the policy has changed yet again.

I've had FAs substitute the F&C at no charge, substitute it when one of the entrees ran out, offer it for no charge after coach was served or pay now, say there's a charge but never come back to do so even with prompting, or just charge right off the bat. I always expect to pay, am pleasantly surprised when I don't, and thank the FA either way.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by BaconSF
On F, BNA to SFO. Didn’t like the two choices on the menu, so I asked for the fruit and cheese platter. FA told me that they charge for it unless it’s preordered, is this true? He told me he’ll let it fly this time, but in the future to preorder fruit & cheese platters.
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes, I believe that is still officially correct. Unless the policy has changed yet again.

I've had FAs substitute the F&C at no charge, substitute it when one of the entrees ran out, offer it for no charge after coach was served or pay now, say there's a charge but never come back to do so even with prompting, or just charge right off the bat. I always expect to pay, am pleasantly surprised when I don't, and thank the FA either way.
Same, with all 5 examples above. I'm at about 70% on #1, 5% on #2, 0% for #3 and 25% for #4. I've been lucky, I guess and never encountered #5. It is still official policy unless pre-ordered, so that part is true. It's one of the last remaining true perks of AS' flight attendants benevolence, in my opinion.

I also think it makes up for the lack of a PDB, but that's another story.

But returning more to the topic, I really want to try that crepes/bacon/egg breakfast pictured above, that's one of the finest domestic breakfasts I've seen in ages.
pcoll likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:59 pm

AS 1214 SFO-ORD 5:05 PM

Dinner: Choice of Persian Chicken or Butternut Squash Cakes.
Served with side salad and roll with butter.

Persian chicken was really good, with rice pilaf, sweet potatoes and yogurt sauce on side. Was really surprised there was no dessert, not even a chocolate. According to the FA, no dessert is offered except on premium transcon routes now.

Not sure if catering cutbacks or mistakes, but there were no pre-departure drinks, no hot towels and no mixed nuts or other snacks.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
But returning more to the topic, I really want to try that crepes/bacon/egg breakfast pictured above, that's one of the finest domestic breakfasts I've seen in ages.
It does look good! I was disappointed to find only the spiced oatmeal or omelette for SEA-BNA. I had my fingers crossed as I usually don't fly breakfast flights, but no such luck.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by rustykettel
It does look good! I was disappointed to find only the spiced oatmeal or omelette for SEA-BNA. I had my fingers crossed as I usually don't fly breakfast flights, but no such luck.
It's just okay. Certainly better than some of the other breakfast F entrees, but nothing to write home about.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Certainly better than some of the other breakfast F entrees, but nothing to write home about.
But I write home, errm I mean to FT, about all my AS meals.
PVDtoDEL, NoLaGent and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
Persian chicken was really good, with rice pilaf, sweet potatoes and yogurt sauce on side. Was really surprised there was no dessert, not even a chocolate. According to the FA, no dessert is offered except on premium transcon routes now.

Not sure if catering cutbacks or mistakes, but there were no pre-departure drinks, no hot towels and no mixed nuts or other snacks.

I had this same meal offered on FAI-SEA last night and we did get dessert - the super rich brownies. Some of these FA's just make it up as they go is my guess.

PDBs have been gone for years, but I'm surprised that you didn't receive hot towels or mixed nuts. Sounds like a shoddy job by catering if you ask me.

That said, how much responsibility is on the FA's to ensure that their flight is properly catered?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 4, 2018 at 1:56 pm
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I had this same meal offered on FAI-SEA last night and we did get dessert - the super rich brownies. Some of these FA's just make i up as they go is my guess.

PDBs have been gone for years, but I'm surprised that you didn't receive hot towels or mixed nuts. Sounds like a shoddy job by catering if you ask me.

That said, how much responsibility is on the FA's to ensure that their flight is properly catered?
That's good to know that it's not a cutback. Miscatering is certainly possible, although part of me thinks the F/A might have just been lazy and was trying to cover himself. He seemed visibly irritated when asked for a mini-bottle of water prior to pushback, and when my seatmate asked why there was no dessert, he responded "welcome to the new alaska airlines" and told her to write in and complain.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
That's good to know that it's not a cutback. Miscatering is certainly possible, although part of me thinks the F/A might have just been lazy and was trying to cover himself. He seemed visibly irritated when asked for a mini-bottle of water prior to pushback, and when my seatmate asked why there was no dessert, he responded "welcome to the new alaska airlines" and told her to write in and complain.
Ooooo - I'd write in and complain alright - but with an emphasis on that Flight Attendant who would seem better suited to attending a landfill than a cabin full of Alaska's best customers. People like that give all the other fine folk who work for Alaska a black eye. Hopefully behavior and attitude such as that is not overlooked.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I had this same meal offered on FAI-SEA last night and we did get dessert - the super rich brownies. Some of these FA's just make it up as they go is my guess.

I know on AA the galley FA is responsible to make sure that the plane is catered with the correct number of meals but they do not go through everything to make sure that everything is there.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I'm not sure how the F FA is supposed to greet everyone, do a detailed check of what catering has provided and, for some, pour drinks - that's pretty good multi-tasking along with what I observe all too often is the gathering of FA's chatting with each other in the F galley during boarding. Is it the job of one FA in particular to check the loading of the F catering? Seems a fairly easy task with a proper doc from the caterers and decent knowledge as to what ought to be in the galley but it would require someone's attention before doors close, I think. Would they hold a flight to get the F desserts loaded? Seems unlikely.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by kileysmom
I'm not sure how the F FA is supposed to greet everyone, do a detailed check of what catering has provided and, for some, pour drinks - that's pretty good multi-tasking along with what I observe all too often is the gathering of FA's chatting with each other in the F galley during boarding. Is it the job of one FA in particular to check the loading of the F catering? Seems a fairly easy task with a proper doc from the caterers and decent knowledge as to what ought to be in the galley but it would require someone's attention before doors close, I think. Would they hold a flight to get the F desserts loaded? Seems unlikely.
Yesterday, an observant FA couldn't find the POG nor the orchids on a Hawaii flight and spoke with the caterers about it prior to departure. (I"m not sure if it was on the wrong cart, or missing altogether, but both ended up on the flight.)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by LWkitty
Date: 10/1/18
Route: SEA to TPA
Flight Number: 770
Departure time: 7:25 am
Meal : Breakfast

Omelet, and all accompaniments, were quite excellent.

I only wished the yogurt had been served in a container that the spoon actually fit in. I would have eaten it all, but wasn't willing to lick it out of the tiny square ramekin. So instead, some went to waste. Pity.

I had this yesterday. It was a decent and filling breakfast. The only regret was that I should have used part of that smoothie to make a bellini.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:08 pm

Wait a sec, what happened to "one option will always be vegetarian" that AS had promoted a couple months ago when this new F menu came out? Both those breakfasts feature meat....
Old Nov 5, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by acarney
Wait a sec, what happened to "one option will always be vegetarian" that AS had promoted a couple months ago when this new F menu came out? Both those breakfasts feature meat....
Neither have meat directly within the entree, though, so easy enough to ask the FA to leave the meat off the plate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.