Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:26 pm

The opposition to the protein plate is interesting. This was a well-liked feature of VX and is offered on AS flights were there was not previously a choice of meals. While I found the combination on the breakfast version a bit odd, I like the protein plate: it's not heavy and provides a variety of healthier options.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by fly18725
The opposition to the protein plate is interesting.
People have argued over ice cream, which pretty much proves there is no pleasing everyone.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I was jesting, note the wink! If 70/30 is an approximate ratio for catering a cabin an explanation and where the knowledge was obtained would be more beneficial than a condescending Nope!
Sorry for not explaining earlier. I'm an AS Boeing flight attendant and serve these ratios on a daily basis, and have access to the service guides that lay out the ratios
Carfield and beckoa like this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by AS737
Sorry for not explaining earlier. I'm an AS Boeing flight attendant and serve these ratios on a daily basis, and have access to the service guides that lay out the ratios
Welcome. Inside insight is always appreciated over wild speculation!

Curious, do preorders change the catering ratios, or just ensure you get what you want?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AS737
Thank you! I learned something new today.

James
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Honestly the protein plate isn't bad, but comparatively to the VX one which came with cold chicken, and probably a little more hummus, cheese and some fruit it is just not enough for a flight. I had it for the first time this past week versus the usual salad and I think it is a better alternative to the salad filling wise. If they could expand the food 10-15% on the plate (come on bean counters!) I would have no qualms with it. Also, the stupid ramekin they put the hummus in makes it hard to get anything out of it once you're half way done.

Then again, I eat a pound of hummus a day so I may be a special case.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by johnp012001
Welcome. Inside insight is always appreciated over wild speculation!

Curious, do preorders change the catering ratios, or just ensure you get what you want?
Honestly? Depends on the kitchen. They're supposed to have preorders, then the ratio applies to what's left (e.g. if half the cabin preorders option A, then the remaining half is split 70/30). In hubs this is more common, as catering has more flexibility on numbers. At outstations (think east coast) they may only have 1 or 2 flights per day and don't have that same flexibility to change the numbers up
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel

F&C is free as a preorder, but seems to still be up to the FA's discretion when ordered from the back as to whether they'll charge. I've had free but only after all of coach is served, "forget" to come back later for payment, gratis, or charge right at the time it's delivered.
Interesting...it's too bad it's not a pre-order option on red-eyes. I think it's interesting that the Hawaii red-eyes are typically the only red-eyes with the fruit and cheese plate as the snack...all the other red-eyes seem to be the humus plate
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
The opposition to the protein plate is interesting. This was a well-liked feature of VX and is offered on AS flights were there was not previously a choice of meals. While I found the combination on the breakfast version a bit odd, I like the protein plate: it's not heavy and provides a variety of healthier options.
It is not really food. Its more playthings for toddlers

Originally Posted by dayone
People have argued over ice cream, which pretty much proves there is no pleasing everyone.
If AS just served an ice cream sundae on these short flights... that would be fun
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
If AS just served an ice cream sundae on these short flights... that would be fun
Unless you are lactose intolerant! And here we go around again!!! lol

James
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Unless you are lactose intolerant! And here we go around again!!! lol
You beat me to it!

I'd prefer a nice warm chocolate chip cookie.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
VX made a much nicer protein plate than Alaska's version. I remember the first time I saw a protein plate on a VX flight - there was like a harp glissando and a chorus from the heavens as it was presented. dayone is spot on, though... Alaska could serve steak and lobster and there'd likely be some complaints.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I vote for Vanilla bean ice cream sandwiched between two freshly baked Toll House Chocolate Chip cookies....yum....I have so many great ideas of food options in first class, why doesn't AS ask me??
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Choice of spinach omelette or quesadilla (no menus) on this morning's 0925 SFO-IAD.

pcoll likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:20 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: Several off-topic and personal posts have been deleted.

Because this thread deals with food, it struggles to stay on topic on a good day. Please keep the posts to what's served and the comments directly related to the menus. Those are the ingedients of a useful thread.

If the personal comments persist, warnings may be in order.

dayone, AS Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.