Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Date: 11 Apr 2018
Route: Chicago to Seattle
Flight Number: 23
Departure time: 8:00 pm
Meal served: Breakfast
Time:: 4 hrs 16 min

No PDB, no menus

Smoothies to start. Choice of mushroom and cheese quiche or granola. I had the quiche.

Small plate with Kiwi fruit, Strawberries, orange slices and grapefruit wedges with fresh Basil for the starter

Quiche was as described up thread, a good portion and tasty.

Service was meh. Basically non-existent unless you pushed the call button after the meal trays were picked up.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I was impressed that my SEA-STL redeye this week had a meal service (warm nuts followed by a salad or protein plate, with printed menus). After being on multiple Hawaii-PNW redeyes in F last year that had nothing more than a fruit/cheese plate, this is actually an improvement. It's also way more than AA offers on mid-con redeyes, which is often just nuts/cookies.

Unfortunately, I found the "Za’atar Chicken Salad" to be a fairly strange combination of flavors, and the dressing was just bad, so it will be interesting to see how these new selections are received by pax overall. I've been flying AA and DL more for the first part of 2018, so I haven't had much experience with these menus yet. From a browse of this thread, though, the FT elite seem to be giving the new food mixed reviews.

In any case, having two options is nice, and on this occasion, the service was excellent from the cute Skywest FA, who gave a short speech to the entire F cabin, encouraging us all to try the new food
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
4/8 SFO-IND 745a departure on a VX A320:

Choice of the pancakes or omelette, with fruit (with "Mexican seasoning," the smoothie shot, and a piece of warm raisin (I think) bread.

I went with the pancakes and they were quite good. FWIW the fruit seems to be the same amount of fruit as before, just in a fancier dish. The pineapple was really good. In fact everything really tasted good including the coffee, which I don't remember being that drinkable. There was also syrup and some yogurt stuff. First transcon meal I've had with the new catering and I was impressed. No barf was served.

I was absolutely not impressed with the VX FAs. The woman working F disappeared after the trays were collected, only to be seen when the pilots wanted to be let out or when it was time to land. No coffee refill, no water refill, nothing. She vanished and left the rope open, so there was a steady stream of people coming to the front lav, including someone who left "liquid" all over the floor.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by tusphotog
In fact everything really tasted good including the coffee, which I don't remember being that drinkable.
Was it Starbucks or still Philz?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BOB W
Date: 11 Apr 2018
Route: Chicago to Seattle
Flight Number: 23
Departure time: 8:00 pm
Meal served: Breakfast
Time:: 4 hrs 16 min

No PDB, no menus

Smoothies to start. Choice of mushroom and cheese quiche or granola. I had the quiche.

Small plate with Kiwi fruit, Strawberries, orange slices and grapefruit wedges with fresh Basil for the starter

Quiche was as described up thread, a good portion and tasty.

Service was meh. Basically non-existent unless you pushed the call button after the meal trays were picked up.
Same flight today 4/12 and I also had the quiche. The breakfast also came with a small, warmed blueberry scone. The other option was described as an oatmeal and quinoa cake (warm). No menus today, and the FA mentioned to the cabin that was a mistake/oversight. I chatted briefly with her on the improved catering, and she was enthused about it. Said she’d had a couple of catering errors like the missing menus and a dinner flight catered with entrees of beef or pancakes.

I boarded at the very end but it looked like coffee was offered as a PDB. Great crew.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by mbluecpa
a dinner flight catered with entrees of beef or pancakes.
Be still my beating heart! #NorthofExpected

Now if they could mistakenly board the cheeseburger for my next breakfast flight...
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

Miso Marinated Cod with Farro Pilaf

Date: 9 Apr 2018
Route: Seattle to Boston
Flight Number: 736
Departure time: 3:35 pm
Meal served: Dinner
Meal description: The starter was a Roasted Beet & Feta Salad. Entree choices included
Miso Marinated Cod with sesame garlic farro pilaf and sauteed greens with bell peppers with shiitake mushrooms
or
Black Bean Cilantro Ravioli served with grilled scallions, sauteed summer squash, asparagus, crumbled cotija cheese and a white wine citrus sauce.

Both entrees looked delicious - even the ravioli which from past experiences I'm generally rather leery of. I went with the cod and was quite pleased. The portion size of both the entree and the accompaniments was decent and flavorful - high praise from a guy who's not particularly enamored of cod or Alaska's portion sizes of late. Chalk up another nice meal on Alaska Airlines.

Except for the dessert - a jar of Nancy's Fancy Amarena Cherry Gelato. By all appearances (the packaging) it looked quite nice but when I opened it, the ice cream bubbled out of the jar in a warm gooey mess. It would seem that the flight attendant had put it in the oven.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 13, 2018 at 9:05 am
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Except for the dessert - a jar of Nancy's Fancy Amarena Cherry Gelato. By all appearances it looked quite nice but when I opened it, the ice cream bubbled out of the jar in a warm gooey mess. It would seem that the flight attendant had put it in the oven.
Sounds like they've put a new spin on Baked Alaska.
tusphotog likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
SMF-SEA AS800 "Snack":
Tiny Hummus plate

SEA-EWR AS790 "Snack"
Big Boy Hummus Plate

EWR-SEA AS791 "Breakfast"
Beechers Flagship Frittata
The presentation is much better than previously
Then another Big Boy Hummus plate towards the end of the flight.

SO. SICK. OF. HUMMUS.
Attached Images  
8do likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:39 am
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
4/11 SEA-ABQ
Smoothie, then choice of protein plate or eggs with potatoes. Chose the egg dish, and felt it was pretty bland. Needed some kind of sauce or addition to add flavor.

4/13 ABQ-SEA
Waffle with two pieces of bacon and an orange on the side. This was really good, but I'm somewhat biased as I love waffles.

Also found a menu from the night before. Choice of herb roasted chicken or Soba Noodles and a Brown Sugar Delight Bar.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Was it Starbucks or still Philz?
I have no idea, to be honest. I don't usually drink the coffee on airplanes since it normally sucks. Decided to try something different that morning and was pleasantly surprised. I've got a few PMAS flights this week and will try the coffee in the name of science.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
This mornings flight from SEA:SNA. Food isnt bad, but man have those portion sizes dropped. Still undecided on the whole juice shot concept. I think I'd prefer some fresh fruit on the plate instead.

Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by T2A
4/11 SEA-ABQ
Smoothie, then choice of protein plate or eggs with potatoes. Chose the egg dish, and felt it was pretty bland. Needed some kind of sauce or addition to add flavor.
I've always found Alaska's egg and potato dishes to be hit or miss. Sometimes they're fine, but other times, they require significant doctoring from the provided salt and pepper packets
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Is it only me or does this whole protein plate thing seem more appropriate to a cafe in some Southern California body builder's gym than in the First Class cabin of an airline attempting to improve on the catering to its best customers?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Is it only me or does this whole protein plate thing seem more appropriate to a cafe in some Southern California body builder's gym than in the First Class cabin of an airline attempting to improve on the catering to its best customers?
Yes, and the name itself sounds like bland tasteless nutrient paste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.