Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
While I've had a handful of lemons over the years, for the most part, the AS crews have been great. As far as blaming unions for the sad state of inflight service, I am not sure what it has to do with what AS will be serving in first class on your flight, so I'd suggest that part of the topic shift elsewhere, or go nowhere.
Right on. I'm certainly not down on all of the flight attendants and, as one who's flown over 1.5 million miles with Alaska, I agree that quality employees are a major strength of Alaska's. The vast majority of them - from CSAs to FAs are excellent. Perhaps that's why the few bad apples stand out more.

As for me, I don't expect the FA's to describe tonight's offering as if we're in a Michelin starred restaurant, nor am I sitting there fuming when an FA describes the only meal offered on the plane as "uh... beef, with a ... like, salad" but it would be so easy to do a nicer job of it. As to why this happens with seemingly greater frequency these days compared to forty years ago, I suspect the answer may lie in a number of issues ranging from perception of the job these days to more in-depth personal and societal issues best ruminated over in a separate thread.

And now, back to the topic of What Will Alaska be Serving in First Class on Your Flight?:

Date of Flight: February 03, 2018
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 682 SEA-DEN
Time of Departure: 3:40pm
Length of flight: 2:00
Class of service: First
Meal served: Snack
Meal Description: Thai Chicken Salad

Additional Comments: The FA did a very nice job including description of and presentation of the meal. As for the meal, we're talking sliced chicken breast presented over a bed of lettuce with sliced mangoes, cucumbers, tomatoes and - was that cilantro? The Asian dressing was a winner as was the accompanying roll - a multi-grain seeded thing that was both soft and delicious. Definitely one of the better rolls I've ever been served inflight. Packaged cookie for dessert.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador

Lousy Pic, Sorry
Date of Flight: February 02, 2018
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 480 PDX-JFK
Time of Departure: 9:40pm
Length of flight: 4:15 or so iirc (Tailwind)
Meal served: Snack
Meal Description: Quiche (Sundried Tomatoes inside?) with Salad (Caesar Dressing) and a chocolate.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador

Flight Number and Route flown: AS 479 JFK-PDX
Time of Departure: 10:45 am
Length of flight: 6:11
Meal served: Lunch
Meal Description: Menu Attached.

Sorry no pic. Cabin was Dark with all shades closed and I didn't care to "Flash Everyone"

I had the Pasta (by choice) it was really good as was the vegetable accompaniment. The Cheesecake was really good. A warm roll with Butter was served. The snack basket came out nearer to PDX.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: MVPG
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 34 Sea to Ord
Time of Departure: 10:00 am
Length of flight: 3:18
Meal served: Lunch
Meal Description: cold poached chicken breast, sliced and served over salad of carrot, mango, cucumber, lettuce; roll, no butter; cookie
FA kindly provided a cheese platter after coach meal service was over.

Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Date of Flight: January 27, 2017
Flight Number and Route Flown: AS 859 SEA->KOA
Time of Departure: 5:40p
Length of Flight: 6:52 (head winds were particularly strong)
Class of Service: First
Meal Served: Dinner
Meal Description: Warmed Nuts, Mixed Green Salad with goat cheese and radish, choice of Chicken with shakshuka sauce or Pappardelle pasta with marinara sauce and vegetables, chuckanut cheesecake for dessert.

I was really disappointed in this. In the past, when I flew F to the islands, they offered special meals with a Hawaiian theme. This was usually a fish choice with rice and an appropriately themed dessert like haupia.

Instead, we got served two underwhelming choices and cheesecake for dessert. The FA served the warm nuts last rather than first, and had no interest in keeping our beverages full. I selected the pasta, and it was fine, but honestly the sauce I get from the jar at home and make in 5 minutes tastes better than this. I noticed the cheesecakes are for sale at QFC and they retail for a few bucks.

If they want to compete with HA on these flights then they need to try a lot harder. I've flown HA F in the A330 and previously thought AS' service to the islands was better. Not anymore.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by sullim4
Meal Description: Warmed Nuts, Mixed Green Salad with goat cheese and radish, choice of Chicken with shakshuka sauce or Pappardelle pasta with marinara sauce and vegetables, chuckanut cheesecake for dessert.
What item did you try. this is what is offered for pre-order for BOS-SAN. I cant decide which to go for default to a cheese plate.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by CDKing
What item did you try. this is what is offered for pre-order for BOS-SAN. I cant decide which to go for default to a cheese plate.
The pasta. It was fine, about what you'd expect. The chicken, which my wife ordered, looked a lot worse. It was stringy-looking dark meat chicken covered in red sauce.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
The pasta. It was fine, about what you'd expect. The chicken, which my wife ordered, looked a lot worse. It was stringy-looking dark meat chicken covered in red sauce.
Well darn, went with a cheese pasta last weekend, which was good as well but want something different. I guess i'll just have a late lunch and order the fruit and cheese.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by CDKing
I guess i'll just have a late lunch and order the fruit and cheese.
Always a good plan.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
2/4/18
AS #295
PVR-PDX

Warm nuts and Biscoff coookies

Parmesan chicken
Augratin potatoes
Green beans
Side salad with Italian dressing
Warm dinner roll with butter
Packaged chocolate chip cookie

Excellent meal and one I've not seen before on AS....this one had PDXPremier written all over it....just "normal", flavorful, comfort food...I plan to give kudos for the great meal on Alaska Listens.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I plan to give kudos for the great meal on Alaska Listens.
^^
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Alaska's take on shakshuka is just wrong. Call it lumpy sauce with spices, do not call it shakshuka. I may pack my own cheese for my flight this afternoon. on TH's BWI-SEA flight , she opted for the pasta, but the caterers didn't load the cheese or decided that everyone needed to try veganism on their way home from DC.

Real Shakshuka is a thing of true beauty.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tusphotog
1/29 SAN-MCO 1005a departure: no meal preorders available (or at least that I saw).

Nuts

Mixed green salad with goat cheese and radish

Choice of pasta with basil marinara, grilled veggies (zucchini in my case), arugula or chicken with shakshuka sauce (whatever that is), couscous with olives, parsley and blanched broccolini.

The chuckanut bay cheesecakes are back and as good as before. Like really good. This was creme brûlée.

Snack basket about 90 min out.

Was impressed with the quality of food on this flight. The pasta was ok, but the flavor was pretty solid on everything and it wasn’t over sauced. The arugula is still absolutely perplexing to me, but it comes off easily.

I don’t do AS tcons much so it’s always interesting to experience them. Compared to last year’s flight, this stuff was edible (and I ate it!), portions were good for me. Might have been a little small for some, but it worked for me. Not EK F, but still solid. FAs were wonderful. They paced lunch really well and served it right about 90 minutes into the flight.

Anytime arugula is listed with a pasta dish on AS, I ask the FA to leave it off since it's a garnish they have to add anyway...less work for them and myself....but yes, I agree...a very odd addition to a pasta dish.

I woulda hand delivered it! I recently took my well worn FT tag off my bag so I’m incognito.
Thanks You don't need to have a FT tag....I'll just look for the guy saying "no thanks" to the cookies in F
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting that the quiche & salad "snack" on the PDX-JFK red-eye is so much more substantial than the "typical" red-eye snack on other flights like the Hawaii flights which only a get a fruit/cheese plate.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Meal Description: Warmed Nuts, Mixed Green Salad with goat cheese and radish, choice of Chicken with shakshuka sauce or Pappardelle pasta with marinara sauce and vegetables, chuckanut cheesecake for dessert....
We had the same menu for TPA-SEA. I was surprised when they served the salad, roll and entrée all at once on the same tray. The roll was cold and the pasta was barely warm. I asked the FA about it and was told that they have new procedures (not the exact words -- I'm paraphrasing.) I'd rather have a warm roll and salad first followed by the entrée as a separate course. I'll let AS know about my reaction to the new presentation but won't hold my breath about getting a response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.