Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by CalanMan
Uh, I eat breakfast sometime between 10 and 10:30 pretty much every day and have for about a decade. I think it’s pretty common if you have a good cafeteria at work that lets you eat at the end of your commute rather than the beginning.
Amongst society as a whole, I believe you would be the exception. Not that there's anything wrong with eating breakfast later, but most of us eat breakfast at an earlier hour. As such, I too would like to see breakfast service end after 9:00am, especially on longer flights.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Amongst society as a whole, I believe you would be the exception. Not that there's anything wrong with eating breakfast later, but most of us eat breakfast at an earlier hour. As such, I too would like to see breakfast service end after 9:00am, especially on longer flights.
Or, offer one breakfast entree and one luncheon entree for flights between departing 9am and 11am. Code it "Brunch" on the schedule. There's nothing says it has to be only one or the other.

And make granola a BoB item for sale in the back and available to the front if pax wish it. Or a side for a more substantial meal. The FAs aren't school lunch monitors. They're there primarily for your safety, not to make sure you eat everything on your plate before clearing your tray.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by rustykettel
And make granola a BoB item for sale in the back and available to the front if pax wish it. Or a side for a more substantial meal.
YES!! Totally agree. ^ Especially on transcon flights.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Who eats breakfast at 10:30 a.m. ??
I will be, perhaps at 11, on an upcoming SFO/MEX, with a 955a departure time, arriving 420p local time.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I will be, perhaps at 11, on an upcoming SFO/MEX, with a 955a departure time, arriving 420p local time.
And sadly without attractive salad bowls.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
FYI - this is the same service as dinner on the SEA-IAD flight. Was your ice cream served frozen or at least cold to the touch? Were you offered the snack basket? I used to groan about the selection, but
now I desperately miss the banana and almonds, at least paired with some cheese, it made the last hour and half of the flight seem tolerable.
So glad there is a new taqueria that opened up at the D gates at BWI (my usual flight home is via BWI), so that I can eat prior to flying.
Yes the ice cream was served frozen, despite not being served till mid-flight.
There was also no snack basket service at all! The F/A had no intent to serve any snack including the warmed nuts listed on menu. I have a feeling that there might be a passenger allergy issue but it would be nice that the F/As informed everyone the reason.

Carfield
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by lalala
Were you offered the snack basket?
The snack basket is no longer offered. it has been discontinued.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOB W
That is a disappointing turn of events. I just wonder what, if anything, they'll do on the flights with 6:45 of block time, which is what my next JFK/SFO is set for.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
That is a disappointing turn of events. I just wonder what, if anything, they'll do on the flights with 6:45 of block time, which is what my next JFK/SFO is set for.
It is disappointing but I specifically asked about it on a couple of flights last week and the FA's confirmed it is gone.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is disappointing but I specifically asked about it on a couple of flights last week and the FA's confirmed it is gone.
I wonder when the "For the same price, you just get less" commercials will start.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Okay, I seem to have lost all the text I typed here. So I guess I'll start over.
Here's what I was served on 3/27, OO3379 DAL-SEA and AS109 SEA-ANC.
I thought it odd that the EXACT SAME MENU was offered on both flights. I might like some variety, AS!
The chicken turned out to be a chicken... SALAD. The chicken itself was absolutely delicious, though. All three bites of it!
The soba dish was a nice attempt, and being covered in black sesame seeds was certainly.......um....."flavorful." But half the noodles were soaked in the yakisoba sauce, while the other half of the noodles were soaked in water. So it was all basically a pile of cold soba paste by the time it got to me.
Also, the quantities of food here are inadequate for 4+ hour flights. I know that no one flies Alaska F for their incredible food service, but still. This was not quite enough food for that duration of flight, in my opinion.
Note that SkyWest served drinks in plastic cups; I've had SkyWest use glass ex-PDX, so now I can't figure out what the deciding factor is, when it comes to glassware.
Also, AS served the nuts in a glass bowl, and OO served in plastic. I don't care, but I know that some of you are absolutely pedantic with these details!

Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
#southofexpected .
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)
Discontinued even on transcon catered flights? Darn! I only have recent AA transcon flights to compare with, but even they have a snack basket.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Date: 3/29
Route: DEN-SEA
Flight Number: 677
Departure time: 6:30 PM
Meal Chosen: Flank Steak Salad
Meal description: Snack. Mixed nuts were served with drink service. FA did a really good job of talking about the new offerings and even informed the last two rows that usually by their selection time, there may be only one option to choose from. Salad was fine, 1/8 of an avocado, decent amount of feta, steak wasn't too chewy you could separate it with a fork, but obviously three strips is not really that much. Overall, the salad was adequate, but nowhere near enough food in itself, especially for a 630pm flight. I will say this is the first time this route has gotten two options, but I feel the previous single selection was more filling than this new offering service.

Last edited by safari ari; Apr 12, 2018 at 10:57 pm
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In terms of portion size, that salad pictured above would qualify as an appetizer on an international service with a 4 or 5 star airline. Despite the 630pm dinner hour departure, Alaska lists this as a snack service. Viewed through that prism, this meal looks a bit more appropriate.

I miss when Alaska departed from the A concourse in Denver. I used to always buy a Schlotzky's original sandwich for the flight to Seattle - much to the envy of my fellow passengers.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 30, 2018 at 4:59 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.