Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Buster
Wow, that's a new low. That's a long flight to have such a terrible dinner served.
There is someone on the AA boards boasting about how wonderful the AS is when it comes to meal service, they got all excited about being a served a scone on a 45 minute flight.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by ASA_1
i complained about a recent F experience in the alaska listens survey and received adequate compensation.
Just curious - what's considered "adequate compensation" for a poor meal offering?

More and more, I find greater satisfaction in self-catering my Alaska flights - even in First Class. Thus, the lack of meal reports from my flights over the past couple of months.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
I'll be in F on a QX E170 from SEA to PDX next week. I know there won't be a meal on such a short flight, but will there be nuts or biscoff to go with the beverage service?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Just curious - what's considered "adequate compensation" for a poor meal offering?

More and more, I find greater satisfaction in self-catering my Alaska flights - even in First Class. Thus, the lack of meal reports from my flights over the past couple of months.
I have gotten $50, $75, $100 and $150 for first class meals that aren't good.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

I complained about the food in F on a GDL-LAX last year on Alaska Listens (not looking for compensation, just providing feedback) and I believe I got a $50 ecert.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Interesting. This may sound weird - given the fact that I've been reasonably vocal over my occasional discontent with Alaska's meals in this thread - but for me at least it wouldn't feel right to accept compensation for a bad meal, much less most other things that have occasionally gone wrong on my Alaska flights. I've actually turned down offers for compensation from Alaska (that's not as easy as it sounds) but from my perspective at least, Alaska's generally treated me really well and continues to do so. I get upgraded a lot and the miles I've earned have enabled me to enjoy some fantastic First Class travel experiences aboard airlines I would never have been able to fly upon (at least in First Class) otherwise. I realize my position is solely my own and certainly don't present it as a paragon for others, but the way I see it we all make mistakes now and then and unless Alaska's error were particularly egregious, all things considered I'm more content with letting bygones be bygones. Karma and all that, you know.

As for the meals - I'd love to see better offerings up front but such are the times we live in. Unless you're flying First Class aboard the likes of Cathay Pacific (which I soon shall be thanks to Alaska's Mileage Plan) it's becoming increasingly unrealistic to expect much in the way of quality grub on a U.S. airline.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Interesting. This may sound weird - given the fact that I've been reasonably vocal over my occasional discontent with Alaska's meals in this thread - but for me at least it wouldn't feel right to accept compensation for a bad meal, much less most other things that have occasionally gone wrong on my Alaska flights. I've actually turned down offers for compensation from Alaska (that's not as easy as it sounds) but from my perspective at least, Alaska's generally treated me really well and continues to do so. I get upgraded a lot and the miles I've earned have enabled me to enjoy some fantastic First Class travel experiences aboard airlines I would never have been able to fly upon (at least in First Class) otherwise. I realize my position is solely my own and certainly don't present it as a paragon for others, but the way I see it we all make mistakes now and then and unless Alaska's error were particularly egregious, all things considered I'm more content with letting bygones be bygones. Karma and all that, you know.

As for the meals - I'd love to see better offerings up front but such are the times we live in. Unless you're flying First Class aboard the likes of Cathay Pacific (which I soon shall be thanks to Alaska's Mileage Plan) it's becoming increasingly unrealistic to expect much in the way of quality grub on a U.S. airline.
Point taken....I do think there is a difference between feedback and complaining for the sole purpose of getting compensation, but if they chose to respond to my honest feedback (which isn't always negative) by providing an ecert, I have no problem using it. I suspect these ecerts actually pay themselves back by driving more $$ toward AS since the ecert rarely covers the cost of the entire ticket. With that said, the ecert amounts I've received from AS have been chump change compared to my days of flying UA where an inoperative video monitor would net you a $200 ecert in a heartbeat....lol.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by seahawks10177
I have gotten $50, $75, $100 and $150 for first class meals that aren't good.
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I complained about the food in F on a GDL-LAX last year on Alaska Listens (not looking for compensation, just providing feedback) and I believe I got a $50 ecert.
I know this is heresy, but just not liking the meal doesn't rise to the level of compensation. YMMV.
kevincrumbs likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Sorry the delayed posting, i posted to a Facebook group but now posting here for your pleasure.

AS LIH-PDX 3/12/18

Per post that Beckoa quoted to me, AS doesn't have access to a kitchen and no space to keep stuff so drinks are round trip catered and the menu is sourced locally (thus no boring preorder options). Kauai pasta makes the first class and coach meals. FA commented best meal in Hawaii flights and I'd agree. I was traveling with my girlfriend who is vegetarian so we both shared the two meal options. She took the veggies and the shrimp appetizers (I'm not a seafood guy) . I got the chicken, short ribs and the risotto. Drinks were the POG mimosa. Sadly they got rid of the sugary Mai Tai's a few months ago but doesn't matter since I had many at Lava Lava Beach Club in Kapa'a (Best Mai Tai's in Kauai and only $5 at happy hour)
Menu

POG Mimosas

Shrimp Appetizer, don't eat seafood to it was commandeered by the GF. I did taste a bit of the sweet sauce

Sauce on the side at my request to keep the meat juice off the sides so my GF could have them

Chicken was very tender and juicy. forgot to ask for sauce on the side for this one. Oops at least it meant the risotto and green beans that touched that sauce on my plate out of my girlfriends claws. So glad as the risotto was perfectly cooked and nice and creamy.

Decent legroom, GF is 5'7" and struggled to be the one who puts feet on bulkhead.

The snack haul between the 2 of us.
rustykettel likes this.

Last edited by CDKing; Mar 15, 2018 at 9:06 am
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Best-looking AS food I've seen this year!

Originally Posted by CDKing
AS LIH-PDX 3/12/18
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Kurt
Best-looking AS food I've seen this year!
Sadly you probably won't see anything this nice outside Hawaii. Tough not sure what the post merger meal "enhancement" will be.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
There is someone on the AA boards boasting about how wonderful the AS is when it comes to meal service, they got all excited about being a served a scone on a 45 minute flight.
I did not get excited, I just thought it was a nice touch, and it's all better than the inedible, industry-worst garbage that AA passes off as meal service.

On a 45 minute AA flight, you're lucky to get a glass of water.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Talking with my lovely FA this evening and evidently tomorrow there is a new menu being rolled out.....not on the list is the horrible quiece. Hoping for better food options. She said some of them actually look decent. I guess we will see when I leave ATL on Monday morning.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
I'll be in F on a QX E170 from SEA to PDX next week. I know there won't be a meal on such a short flight, but will there be nuts or biscoff to go with the beverage service?
I was on a 737 PDX-SEA flight and only water or orange juice were offered. I figure the main benefit was getting off the plane first. Oh, and not having to walk to the end of terminal A.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Akck

I was on a 737 PDX-SEA flight and only water or orange juice were offered. I figure the main benefit was getting off the plane first. Oh, and not having to walk to the end of terminal A.
I've had refills offered before... guess YMMV. Probably variable based on turbulence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.