Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Canceling ticket—fee greater than tix cost?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan

We booked a RT flight for two to Sacramento on the recent sale. actual destination is LKe Tahoe and I am second-guessing the airport due to possible driving issues in January (chain controls on I-80). Looking into changing to a flight into Reno instead, using a Conpanion ticket to bring down the cost.

if I just cancel the existing ticket to re-book with the Companion Certificate, what will the cancellation fee be? Is it $125 per passenger per flight, so 4x $125? That would be $500 to cancel tickets we bought for $300! If that is the case I should just “forget” to cancel, right? Would there be any problems with having seats of two different flights on the same days?

or does the cancellation fee apply only up to the value of the ticket? Seems like that makes more sense, but I cannot find that in writing.

thanks.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
$125 per ticket, so $250 for two pax (presuming round-trip tix)
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by enzian
We booked a RT flight for two to Sacramento on the recent sale. actual destination is LKe Tahoe and I am second-guessing the airport due to possible driving issues in January (chain controls on I-80). Looking into changing to a flight into Reno instead, using a Conpanion ticket to bring down the cost.

if I just cancel the existing ticket to re-book with the Companion Certificate, what will the cancellation fee be? Is it $125 per passenger per flight, so 4x $125? That would be $500 to cancel tickets we bought for $300! If that is the case I should just “forget” to cancel, right? Would there be any problems with having seats of two different flights on the same days?

or does the cancellation fee apply only up to the value of the ticket? Seems like that makes more sense, but I cannot find that in writing.

thanks.
The fee is per person, per reservation. Fee for two people (without MVPG+ status) for a round trip reservation would be $250.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson

thanks.

If the travel is < 60 days then it would be $125 per ticket/passenger. Meaning if all your changes only involved one ticket reissue then changing inbound and outbound flights would only cost you $125 for the two changes per passenger not per segment. So in your case for two tickets, for $125/person/ticket, you can change anything as long as it's done in one phone call and total cost for two tickets/two people would be 125 x 2 = $250.00 for all changes + fare difference.

Now you bring up an interesting issue though. What if your name is on two different flights departing at around the same time or same day. Not sure what kind of checks system they have.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:09 am
Original Poster

OK, thanks. That helps a lot.
So I should get $50 back in My Wallet? How quickly does that happen? ( Assuming I just do the cancellation online)
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
The My Wallet is credited almost instantly.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
OK, thanks. That helps a lot.
So I should get $50 back in My Wallet? How quickly does that happen? ( Assuming I just do the cancellation online)
You'll end up with your $300 in mywallet, paying AS an additional $250 for the privilege. And it posts nearly instantly imo.
flyupfrnt likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Yes, the funds appeared instantly. All done.

Last edited by enzian; Dec 26, 2017 at 2:23 pm
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by mrkymark
Now you bring up an interesting issue though. What if your name is on two different flights departing at around the same time or same day. Not sure what kind of checks system they have.
If you're using your MP account, the system will eventually notice that you are on two flights in the air at the same time and flag the reservations. You will need to cancel one, or they will pick one to cancel for you, which may or may not be the one you want to keep.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by lg20
If you're using your MP account, the system will eventually notice that you are on two flights in the air at the same time and flag the reservations. You will need to cancel one, or they will pick one to cancel for you, which may or may not be the one you want to keep.
When you cancel, you have the ability to defer utilizing the credit (and paying the change fee). "Email the canceled ticket numbers and use later to retrieve the value."
flyupfrnt likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I live in Reno. If there are chain controls on I-80 and US-50 from Sacramento, there will likely be chain controls on the Mt. Rose highway too (NV-431) and the pass over US-50 (Carson City to South Lake Tahoe). I'd keep your tickets as-is.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I live in Reno. If there are chain controls on I-80 and US-50 from Sacramento, there will likely be chain controls on the Mt. Rose highway too (NV-431) and the pass over US-50 (Carson City to South Lake Tahoe). I'd keep your tickets as-is.
We will actually be heading to Truckee on I -80, traveling at mid-day. It is a shorter drive than from Sacramento, without the notorious Donner Pass elevation change. If we are going to get stuck somewhere waiting out the chain control, we'd rather be in Reno than Sacramento, or Auburn. We will rent an AWD SUV and hope for the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.