Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyupfrnt
Please post your upgrade successes & failures including:

Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Flight Number
Status (MVP, Gold or 75K)
Fare Class
Add companion if there was one
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Date of ticket purchase

Examples:
2/2/18 SEA-ANC AS 67 75K Upgrade cleared at T-120 hours
2/19/18 MSY-SEA AS 887 MVPG Didn't clear 4/22 on waitlist
Print Wikipost

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Skyjumper
My last ever flight on AS
Where you taking your business to?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Date 12/18/2018
Route LAX>>SFO
Flight Number 1899
Fare Class: R (like really cheap paid $44 total for the flight)
When: Already boarded and paged to move out of 6F to 2F....
Purchased: 12/4/2018

Pretty good deal for F class and paid practically nothing for the flight - thanks WN!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:45 am

12/15
MVPG
BNA -> SFO
flight 1101
fare R
upgraded to F upon checkin T-24

12/17
MVPG
flight 1896
fare R
SFO -> LAS
Upgraded to F upon check in T-24

12/19
MVPG
flight 1905
fare R
LAS -> SFO
Upgraded to F upon check in T-24
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:08 pm

12/21
MVP
Flight 1045
Fare T
LAX-SFO
cleared T-12 (after checking in at T-24)

12/23
MVP
Flight 1948
Fare V
SFO-LAX
cleared T-48 (got the email at LAX for the above flight)
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K

Well.... took 25 minutes on hold and "a one time favor", but cleared ANC-KOA. When I know I don't clear in advance, i check-in on the website, and sure enough, First Class Upgrades link appeared (for purchase)

24 Dec JNU/ANC - AS 61 - cleared at 72 Hr window
24 Dec ANC/KOA - AS 872 - cleared at OLCI For 61 (So, 29 hours prior?) U space opened overnight.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec

Well.... took 25 minutes on hold and "a one time favor", but cleared ANC-KOA. When I know I don't clear in advance, i check-in on the website, and sure enough, First Class Upgrades link appeared (for purchase)

24 Dec JNU/ANC - AS 61 - cleared at 72 Hr window
24 Dec ANC/KOA - AS 872 - cleared at OLCI For 61 (So, 29 hours prior?) U space opened overnight.
HA! The Grinch graphic is ridiculously appropriate in this post. Congrats on 25 min. well spent and the good fortune in not having your UG bought out from underneath you while on hold.

Merry Xmas!
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok I'm confused again.

Are F upgrades only available for purchase when U space is available?

In other words, is this only a case of the upgrade processor being stuck (which does happen from time to time) or is it a case of them selling F upgrades even when U is not available?

In any case, congrats on the seat upgrade, as well as the weather upgrade
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Ok I'm confused again.

Yes.

In other words, is this only a case of the upgrade processor being stuck (which does happen from time to time) or is it a case of them selling F upgrades even when U is not available?
It's not necessarily stuck, but it's obviously not processing and no, they won't sell the online UGs if U is not open.

Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
12/23
MVPG
flight 29
fare K
ORD -> SEA
Cleared at T-1
pretty empty up front; I was #6 on upgrade list and 9 of us cleared into F
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Ok I'm confused again.

Alaska's release of U space is a confusing one. My Juneau-Anchorage flight tomorrow, I was the only 1 to clear at 72 hours,and then today at 24 hours, 2 more cleared. (1 person is flying SEA-JNU-XXX and cleared at the 72 hour mark) That puts 4 of us in front. There are now a handful of people on the waitlist, and after checking with a friend, the cabin is only booked to *4* of us tomorrow. Out of 12.

Yet, on Anchorage-Kona, which AS probably has a better chance of selling F, they released U down to full inventory (2 seats) last night. So I got one today, and noticed 6 open seats. Checked with friend, F was at "2" this morning before I cleared. Then 1 left, and 1 in U. Which then was probably sold, as there are now 20+ on the upgrade list.

Getting an upgrade on Alaska is like a dart game. Sometimes you just get lucky, and the rules mean nothing.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:42 pm

Hi -

My understanding is that they are supposed to clear the elite UG list before selling any upgrades.

I have noticed recently that they have brought up a passenger or two to fill up FC right before door closure.

Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

My understanding is that they are supposed to clear the elite UG list before selling any upgrades.

I have noticed recently that they have brought up a passenger or two to fill up FC right before door closure.

That's what they've claimed for years, but once U is available, anyone on a computer or at a kiosk will be offered F upgrade for sale (within T-24, to be clear), well ahead of any gate lists being cleared. I see it all the time.

There's also the elite loophole at this point for those that haven't been upgraded yet, but no one likes to really publicize that one...for obvious reasons.

Last edited by NoLaGent; Dec 24, 2018 at 12:13 pm Reason: added: 24 hour rule
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
12/21 PHX-SEA 245p departure: UG @ ~8 hours. Companion stayed in the exit row aisle I vacated. She appreciated not getting a middle seat.
12/22 SEA-PDX 10a departure: UG before door closure, with an apologetic GA saying there was room for me and not my companion in F. I stayed put in my PC seat since I didn’t feel like rebuilding my nest and it was 27 minutes of flying time. Flight was on a reconfigured 73G and F looked nice. Less under seat legroom in row 6, however. Not sure why.
12/27 PDX-PHX 730p departure: UG for me and companion (she’s a MVP), at about 6 hours.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP75K, Marriott Platinum, National EE
MVP75K 12/25 SEA-STL, 5:55PM Departure, UG @ 120 Hours with Companion.

F went out with 3 open seats. Judging from Waitlist for Upgrades and seat map, we were the ONLY elites eligible for upgrade on the flight.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dabeags
MVP75K 12/25 SEA-STL, 5:55PM Departure, UG @ 120 Hours with Companion.

F went out with 3 open seats. Judging from Waitlist for Upgrades and seat map, we were the ONLY elites eligible for upgrade on the flight.
SEA-STL is an interesting route. The earlier departure (currently 12:25p, I believe) sometimes has upgrade waitlists of 50+ pax, with no one clearing at the gate, while the late afternoon/early evening departure you mention often has U space available on the day of departure with no one on the upgrade list... this is somewhat dependent on the day of the week, but the disparity in popularity with AS elites between these two flights has been pretty remarkable, in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.