Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyupfrnt
Please post your upgrade successes & failures including:

Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Flight Number
Status (MVP, Gold or 75K)
Fare Class
Add companion if there was one
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Date of ticket purchase

Examples:
2/2/18 SEA-ANC AS 67 75K Upgrade cleared at T-120 hours
2/19/18 MSY-SEA AS 887 MVPG Didn't clear 4/22 on waitlist
Print Wikipost

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DrAlex
Maybe some new found empathy for those who mourn the brand!?
Absolutely not! Quite to the contrary. The WOW is utter disbelief from the flight crew. It is one thing to diss your employer and another to disrespect the passengers paying your salary increase, but when they turn a blind eye to policy and safety then there is a real issue. I will NOT fly another flight on an Airbus with a former VX crew. When they refuse to wear a nametag I don't believe they have any intention of providing good service.

I flew N282VN on both flights. I couldn't believe how much filth and grime there was. The "white" leather recliners had hues of black. Whose brilliance was it to put in a transparent plastic purple mirror that lets you look through a distorted reflection of yourself and call it a bulkhead?

It is the only time I can recall not feeling safe on a flight. Not one, but both. AS will receive a detailed letter expressing my concerns. I won't discuss the specifics here.

James
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Sorry to hear that James - how quite disappointing! I was clearly hoping you were impressed.....
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by DrAlex
Sorry to hear that James - how quite disappointing! I was clearly hoping you were impressed.....
Thank you. It says Alaska Airlines on the outside, on the inside it was everything but. I found 6E more comfortable that 2D but looking through purple plexiglass with the distortion actually made me feel nauseous and the small windows with the shades down even during takeoff and landing made it fell a little claustrophobic. All that coupled with a severely disengaged flight crew made for a really uncomfortable experience. My following flight from SEA-PHX in F on a B739 was amazing, as usual.

James
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Thank you. It says Alaska Airlines on the outside, on the inside it was everything but. I found 6E more comfortable that 2D but looking through purple plexiglass with the distortion actually made me feel nauseous and the small windows with the shades down even during takeoff and landing made it fell a little claustrophobic. All that coupled with a severely disengaged flight crew made for a really uncomfortable experience. My following flight from SEA-PHX in F on a B739 was amazing, as usual.

James
I may have missed a post or two about this, but why were the shades down? Requested by the crew I assume? I'm typically an aisle seat kinda guy but one of my pet peeves about not sitting at the window is when the person at the window seat keeps the shade closed the entire time, particularly during take-off and landing and I agree, it makes me feel claustrophobic as well. I was on an American Eagle flight from CLT-LEX this past summer where nearly everyone at the window seats on the cramped CRJ-200 had the shades closed....awful....just awful.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I may have missed a post or two about this, but why were the shades down? Requested by the crew I assume? I'm typically an aisle seat kinda guy but one of my pet peeves about not sitting at the window is when the person at the window seat keeps the shade closed the entire time, particularly during take-off and landing and I agree, it makes me feel claustrophobic as well. I was on an American Eagle flight from CLT-LEX this past summer where nearly everyone at the window seats on the cramped CRJ-200 had the shades closed....awful....just awful.
It isn't uncommon to board a plane where all the shades are down especially in hotter locations to help regulate a more comfortable environment. However, it is my understanding that, by policy, all shades must be up for takeoff and landing to enable an assessment outside the aircraft in the event of an emergency. An emergency exit should only be opened if the outside environment allows it.

James

Sorry, this has gone a little (okay, a lot ) off topic. My experience on both flights was concerning and I will follow up directly with Alaska.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Absolutely not! Quite to the contrary. The WOW is utter disbelief from the flight crew. It is one thing to diss your employer and another to disrespect the passengers paying your salary increase, but when they turn a blind eye to policy and safety then there is a real issue. I will NOT fly another flight on an Airbus with a former VX crew. When they refuse to wear a nametag I don't believe they have any intention of providing good service.

I flew N282VN on both flights. I couldn't believe how much filth and grime there was. The "white" leather recliners had hues of black. Whose brilliance was it to put in a transparent plastic purple mirror that lets you look through a distorted reflection of yourself and call it a bulkhead?

It is the only time I can recall not feeling safe on a flight. Not one, but both. AS will receive a detailed letter expressing my concerns. I won't discuss the specifics here.

James
I don't think anyone here should be surprised by this. It's well documented in multiple threads how the Airbii cabins have been deteriorating for months now. General cleanliness aside, there are much bigger problems with broken seats, broken IFE, broken power, and most alarmingly, broken flight systems and overall maintenance concerns.

It's absolutely horrible what Alaska Airlines has done with what was once a well maintained fleet. And I've experienced the crew issue as well. 3 of my last compensations for no PDB since the new & improved policy were against pmVX crews.

I'd love to hear what kind of response you get from them when it's received.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However, it is my understanding that, by policy, all shades must be up for takeoff and landing to enable an assessment outside the aircraft in the event of an emergency.
Some airlines do have this policy, but not all. It's not an FAA regulation (despite what you may hear from a FA).

My opinion on this is that if it was even minorly important to safety the FAA would make a rule about it, just like they do about everything else. In my experience, AS does not have a policy about it, or, if they do, it's not enforced.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
12/2 AS922
6/49
cleared as I was boarding or shortly afterwards in all 7 cleared

12/3 AS 3
2/22
cleared at t-12 hours, not complaining as DCA-SEA is a 🦄 upgrade for me
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
12/6/2018
ANC-SIT
Flight Number 62
MVPGold/75K
Fare Class L
T-29 last seat available for selection-1F
Purchased 11/8/2018

Last edited by BOB W; Dec 5, 2018 at 7:26 pm Reason: corrected flight date
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
12/6/2018
SEA:LAS
AS608
R Class
T-36 for both I and Companion
Purchased ~4 weeks ago
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BOB W
11/6/2018
ANC-SIT
Flight Number 62
MVPGold/75K
Fare Class L
T-29 last seat available for selection-1F
Purchased 11/8/2018
Do you mean tomorrow, and not 2 days before you purchased the ticket?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: AS MVP
12/4/2018
ORD-PDX
AS687

MVP
R Class
6/16 on waitlist, 1-3 cleared into first.
Purchased ~4 weeks ago
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
11/2 AS 1487 SJC-SEA MVPG H fare 18/29 on waitlist, got 6F at booking
11/30 AS 656 SEA-PHX MVPG T fare 11/24 on waitlist, got 16D at booking
12/4 AS 603 LAS-SEA MVPG T fare, upgrade at airport at T-30 minutes.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Do you mean tomorrow, and not 2 days before you purchased the ticket?
12/6/2018 departure
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
12/3/18
SFO-ORD
AS 1206
R Fare
Cleared T-72
Purchased in September

12/5/18
ORD-SFO
AS 1211
R Fare
2nd on list, #1 cleared at T-24. That was it.
Purchased in September

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.