Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2018)

Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyupfrnt
Please post your upgrade successes & failures including:

Date
Route (Please bold if failure)
Flight Number
Status (MVP, Gold or 75K)
Fare Class
Add companion if there was one
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear
Date of ticket purchase

Examples:
2/2/18 SEA-ANC AS 67 75K Upgrade cleared at T-120 hours
2/19/18 MSY-SEA AS 887 MVPG Didn't clear 4/22 on waitlist
Print Wikipost

I Got/Didn't Get MVP/Gold/75K Upgrade on AS (2018)

Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
1/7/18 YYC-SEA AS 2717 MVPG upgrade cleared at the gate.

Was 1 of 1 on the upgrade list and there was one seat in F still for sale as they were about to begin boarding. This was a BA award ticket (W). Woot!

Neil
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Gold, Hertz PC
First flight of the year was also my first upgrade of the year. Short flight, but a seat in first class is a seat in first class, right?
1/10/18 BLI-SEA AS 430, MVP Gold, upgraded 48 hrs prior, original fare class T

I'm taking a one day trip to Portland, and also got upgraded for the return flight:
1/10/18 SEA-BLI AS 445, original fare class L

Nice way to start the new year travels, woo-hoo!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Flight 863 PDX-OGG and no upgrade. I was second on the list.

As I sat in row 6 two people in row three were no shows. They closed the flight door and I asked the flight attendant if I could move up, as I am Gold. She said she didn't have any authority to reassign my seat.

I didn't want to push it, and seem rude/entitled, but I was quite disappointed that neither seat was filled by anyone for the flight. Anyone know if what she told me is true (Flight attendants do not have the authority to assign seats)? Is this a common occurrence for a no-show in first?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by spamman808

As I sat in row 6 two people in row three were no shows. They closed the flight door and I asked the flight attendant if I could move up, as I am Gold. She said she didn't have any authority to reassign my seat.

I didn't want to push it, and seem rude/entitled, but I was quite disappointed that neither seat was filled by anyone for the flight. Anyone know if what she told me is true (Flight attendants do not have the authority to assign seats)? Is this a common occurrence for a no-show in first?
I've had FA's move me forward before.

Sounds like a lazy gate agent who didn't follow the process (or one in a hurry). Either way, please send a note in via alaskalistens.com. Very unfortunate in general, but unacceptable on a flight of this stage length.
flyupfrnt likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by T2A
Date: 1/10
Route: PDX-ABQ
Flight Number: 2794
Fare Class: R
Cleared: 72 hours out
Have really enjoyed the E175 on this route. I've been split on direct flights from SEA and connecting in PDX. Worked out great until last month when every flight PDX-SEA was cancelled. Luckily the PDX lounge staff was able to switch me to a BLI flight which actually worked out better than my original itinerary.
The E175 was great on the flight down earlier in week! I'll add a couple data points... Originally on the ABQ-PDX direct flight. Did a confirmed SDC to an earlier flight with a connection (had to call of course) and the Alaska agent was incredibly helpful. Got an immediate upgrade on the first leg but not on the 2nd.

Date:1/9/18
Route: ABQ-PDX
Flight Number: 2795
Cleared: 48 hours out

Route: ABQ-SNA
Flight Number: 2797
Cleared: Immediately after re-booking

Route: SNA-PDX
Flight Number: 583
Fare Class: Y
Did not clear. Had I been able to rebook an hour earlier I may have received it. Reminded of how terrible these old 737-800s are!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Date: 1/31/18
Route: JNU-SEA-HOU
Flight: 176 & 350
Fare class: T changed to K
Decided to use GGUs to upgrade

Date: 2/12/18
Route: HOU-SEA
Flight: 413
Fare class: T changed to K
Decided to use GGUs to upgrade

We decided we didn’t want to holdout for a complementary upgrade for the long portions of the flight. I’ll report later on the last leg to JNU.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
1/12/18
Route: PDX - LAS
#: AS 624
Cleared: T-72
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
1/7/2017
Route: SEA-AUS 670
Status G75K x 2
Cleared - T-120
Fare - not cheap
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spamman808

I would have been extremely irked. That's not a short flight.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
1/14/18 ANC-LAX AS 150 75K+Companion Upgrade cleared at T-119:45

1st flight of the year for me
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by altadoc
Date: 1/6/18
Route: PDX-ABQ
Flight Number: 2794
Fare Class: T
No companion
Time cleared: 48h out

Not surprised it cleared on this route. Flight overall is pretty empty. But I am surprised more people didn't pay the $50 to upgrade! Seems like a steal for a 3 hour flight.
Those E175 flights are generally super easy upgrades, even for MVPs like us I was even upgraded twice last year on E175 flights when I had a non-status companion on my reservation
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by altadoc
The E175 was great on the flight down earlier in week! I'll add a couple data points... Originally on the ABQ-PDX direct flight. Did a confirmed SDC to an earlier flight with a connection (had to call of course) and the Alaska agent was incredibly helpful. Got an immediate upgrade on the first leg but not on the 2nd.

Route: ABQ-PDX
Flight Number: 2795
Cleared: 48 hours out

Route: ABQ-SNA
Flight Number: 2797
Cleared: Immediately after re-booking

Route: SNA-PDX
Flight Number: 583
Fare Class: Y
Did not clear. Had I been able to rebook an hour earlier I may have received it. Reminded of how terrible these old 737-800s are!
I thought SDC rules said you had to maintain the same routing? Did that change or are they just more flexible when you call?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I thought SDC rules said you had to maintain the same routing? Did that change or are they just more flexible when you call?
Sometimes they can be more flexible. Or if there is an impending misconnect/ significantly delayed flight.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Those E175 flights are generally super easy upgrades, even for MVPs like us I was even upgraded twice last year on E175 flights when I had a non-status companion on my reservation
Really? That has me excited. I'm flying an E175 for the 2nd time in late February from DAL - PDX and would love to try first (MVPG).
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVP
SDC definitely says you have to maintain same routing. There are no other non-stops on that routing.

I figured I would not be allowed to do SDC online, which was correct. I called and the agent was very nice and very helpful and made the SDC change. It took a good 20-25 minutes on the phone but it was nice to get home several hours earlier. I was prepared not to be able to SDC but thankfully got a great agent!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.