Search

QX CEO is stepping down

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
QX CEO is stepping down

Via the Seattle Times:
After a year of turmoil at Horizon Air, the local regional carrier that’s part of Alaska Air Group, the airline’s Chief Executive Dave Campbell announced Monday that he’s stepping down.

Campbell conveyed the news internally via an email to employees Monday.

“As the year comes to a close, I have found myself at a crossroads,” Campbell wrote. “For personal reasons, I have decided to step down from my role with Horizon effective January 5, opening the door for a new chapter for the airline.”
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Saw this. It is a good move by Campbell, who has shown nothing but incompetence over the past few years with this pilot problem. Good leadership would have looked to doing something about it sooner. We can only hope that Brad Tilden follows him out the door. Time to get back to business and put good people in these key positions.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Saw this. It is a good move by Campbell, who has shown nothing but incompetence over the past few years with this pilot problem. Good leadership would have looked to doing something about it sooner. We can only hope that Brad Tilden follows him out the door. Time to get back to business and put good people in these key positions.
From all reports it seems that Campbell was not the problem. When you are the head of a subsidiary and the parent company does not give you any resources to fix the problems that were clearly identified, it wouldn't matter who the CEO of the subsidiary was/is. He was smart to get out while the sinking ship has stabilized and has temporarily stopped taking on water. The problems are nowhere near resolved and the road ahead will be difficult. Finding another CEO just adds another distraction for the management team. Can't wait to hear what they have to say next month in the earnings call.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
I don't buy this. This is years in the making, not just now. Campbell may not have been all of the problem, but he was a good chunk of the problem. It developed under his watch, and then yes, it exploded when Alaska purchased Virgin America. Alaska took resources from other parts to expand its new hub in SFO and stretched the resources too thin when the problem already existed.

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
From all reports it seems that Campbell was not the problem. When you are the head of a subsidiary and the parent company does not give you any resources to fix the problems that were clearly identified, it wouldn't matter who the CEO of the subsidiary was/is. He was smart to get out while the sinking ship has stabilized and has temporarily stopped taking on water. The problems are nowhere near resolved and the road ahead will be difficult. Finding another CEO just adds another distraction for the management team. Can't wait to hear what they have to say next month in the earnings call.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Something tells me earnings call isn't going to be great. Nice to have a scapegoat ready to roast.

"Excited to have fresh leadership."
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
I don't buy this. This is years in the making, not just now. Campbell may not have been all of the problem, but he was a good chunk of the problem. It developed under his watch, and then yes, it exploded when Alaska purchased Virgin America. Alaska took resources from other parts to expand its new hub in SFO and stretched the resources too thin when the problem already existed.
No kidding. AS knew about the problems at QX years before as well and did nothing to provide extra pay and bonuses to get enough pilots. They chose to ignore it and it came back to bite them. The distraction from the VX negotiation only added to the problems. Ultimate responsibility falls on AS as they control the purse strings.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:13 am

I hear that at his going away party they will be serving only water, apple juice or beer.....unless the weather outside is cloudy in which case the waiters/waitresses will not serve anything and be asked by the restaurant manager to sit down. And the bathrooms will have no running water.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by bofc
I hear that at his going away party they will be serving only water, apple juice or beer.....unless the weather outside is cloudy in which case the waiters/waitresses will not serve anything and be asked by the restaurant manager to sit down. And the bathrooms will have no running water.
And the party will start 45 min late!!
bofc likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
And the party will start 45 min late!!
And five other retirement parties will all be held at the same time in the same banquet room, with overlapping speeches.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:27 am

1.8 million in severance paid will help Mr. Campbell adjust. The agreement also includes a 6 month non compete clause and a ban on trying to solicit anyone from AS QX or VX to work elsewhere for a year according to the 8k filed today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.