Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most West Coast A321neo Livery N925VA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Arrow Most West Coast A321neo Livery N925VA

Where I found it (large thread)
Alaska Airlines unveils A321neo "Most West Coast" livery - Airliners.net

VX FT thread where it was mentioned:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29186700-post15.html

Interesting...

Check out some of the twitter responses.

Yes, this is about a "VX" plane, but figured its in joint custody branding, so fitting for the AS forum.
flyupfrnt likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:57 am
DUT

Programs: MVPG
I wonder when Alaska will start removing the "Proudly all Boeing" logo from their 737's?

DUT
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by DUT
I wonder when Alaska will start removing the "Proudly all Boeing" logo from their 737's?

DUT
I like the 737 over the A320/19 but maybe the 321 will be nice too!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Man, that's one ugly looking plane...
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I'm guessing they cant slap the Alaska logo on the aircraft till April when they officially become a single airline? Kind of looks unfinished at this point.
pfpdx and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I'm guessing they cant slap the Alaska logo on the aircraft till April when they officially become a single airline? Kind of looks unfinished at this point.
People keep saying this, that they need to wait until there's a SOC before they can paint Chester on the tail. QX is a separate wholly owned by AAG airline, just like VX, and they have Chester on the tails. OO is an entirely separate airline that owns its own planes, with Chester on the tail. There may be a strategic reason to not paint the tails yet, but is there really some SOC-based legal hurdle?
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
People keep saying this, that they need to wait until there's a SOC before they can paint Chester on the tail. QX is a separate wholly owned by AAG airline, just like VX, and they have Chester on the tails. OO is an entirely separate airline that owns its own planes, with Chester on the tail. There may be a strategic reason to not paint the tails yet, but is there really some SOC-based legal hurdle?
There isn't anything in the FARs that would prevent Alaska from painting a VX Airbus aircraft in Alaska colors today; just needs to have a decal with "Operated by Virgin America" somewhere on it. Plenty of US Airways-operated aircraft were painted in AA colors before they received a single operating certificate—just from my random Googling, looks like the first US plane rolled out with AA paint in January 2014 and SOC arrived in April 2015. That being said, we're just a few weeks away from AS-VX SOC (should be early January) so this whole thing is about to be moot.

I'd be interested to see what the interior configuration of these new non-VX livery A321s is. If it's the standard VX config (8 F seats), then I guess it makes sense that they're not painted in the Alaska colors and we won't see that until aircraft begin to fly with the new AS configuration (12 F seats). But still, I'm scratching my head just as I do with almost every other branding decision that's being made during this acquisition.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
And the AS merger bird has VX branding on it too.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sutrosam
There isn't anything in the FARs that would prevent Alaska from painting a VX Airbus aircraft in Alaska colors today; just needs to have a decal with "Operated by Virgin America" somewhere on it. Plenty of US Airways-operated aircraft were painted in AA colors before they received a single operating certificate—just from my random Googling, looks like the first US plane rolled out with AA paint in January 2014 and SOC arrived in April 2015.
It's not SOC related, I bet it's license agreement related. AS probably doesn't have the rights to paint the VX planes as they see fit because of some branding agreement with Virgin.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by sutrosam
I'd be interested to see what the interior configuration of these new non-VX livery A321s is. If it's the standard VX config (8 F seats), then I guess it makes sense that they're not painted in the Alaska colors and we won't see that until aircraft begin to fly with the new AS configuration (12 F seats). But still, I'm scratching my head just as I do with almost every other branding decision that's being made during this acquisition.
According to Planespotters the cabin configuration is "C8W18Y159."
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by bbinchi
According to Planespotters the cabin configuration is "C8W18Y159."
AKA the standard VX A321 config, so best guess AAG is waiting to paint the Airbus fleet in Alaska colors until they're reconfigured into the new cabin layout (Q4 2018 per this press release).
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
Man, that's one ugly looking plane...
i have been staring at it here at PDX for the last hour or so.

Yes, it is ugly. And as a marketing message without any obvious (to the traveling public) airline indicator a waste of perfectly good paint.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Terrible incomplete livery (looks like a charter airline) and a cheesy marketing campaign. They're full of all sorts of good ideas up in Seattle.
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Honestly. I feel like the white tail is what makes it different and what many are determining is “ugly” Other than that it’s definitely unique but the Alaska color scheme on the Cowling is identifiable. I guess when you own an airplane you can paint it however you want. Would you elect to take a different flight based on Livery? Than, happy New Year and get over it

Last edited by flyupfrnt; Jan 1, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Honestly. I feel like the white tail is what makes it different and what many are determining is “ugly” Other than that it’s definitely unique but the Alaska color scheme on the jet engines is identifiable. I guess when you own an airplane you can paint it however you want. Would you elect to take a different flight based on Livery? Than, happy New Year and get over it
No, I wouldn’t take a different flight (or any flight, for that matter) because of a livery. I have flown on a plain white 737 (charter from MIA to HAV) and it didn’t make a difference in the flight experience.

However, they painted it with a particular goal in mind - to remind people that “they” have the most flights on the west coast. Sadly they’re forgot to tell the viewer who “they” are. And no, i don’t think the cowling color scheme tells the average flyer anything. So for me it is a marketing fail. Perhaps it is meant as a riddle.

Regarding the plain white tail, it doesn’t show in the photo, but in real life it isn’t even consistent white - the moveable rudder part has a different shade of white. It looks unfinished or cobbled together to me. Again, I had the opportunity to look at it for about an hour from my comfortable chairs in the walkway between C and D concourses at PDX yesterday; it was parked at a D gate. And it didn’t improve with time. The merger livery on the other hand is a stunner. My wife, who can’t distinguish 737s from A320s and is just a normal traveler commented positively and without prompting on it two weeks ago.
when we saw it taxiing by at SEA.

And yes, first world problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.