FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Get ready for your trip emails (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1882578-get-ready-your-trip-emails.html)

quemalo Dec 13, 2017 8:00 am

Get ready for your trip emails

I constantly get emails for trips that have been canceled for months. And then when my wife tried to book a surprise trip for us, I got an email for it a week in advance, ruining the surprise. It's really annoying getting emails for canceled trips though, like the one I just got. I'm glad Alaska thinks I'm flying to Frankfurt next week, but that's long been changed for a trip to Berlin instead.

IStream Dec 13, 2017 8:10 am

Don't get me started about these, or the default on the ticket purchase page to "send me offers" by email. AS is very pro-spam. It's the counterpart to their incessant and increasingly long-winded credit card pitches aboard.

Snowdevil Dec 13, 2017 10:16 am

Originally Posted by quemalo (Post 29169247)
I constantly get emails for trips that have been canceled for months. And then when my wife tried to book a surprise trip for us, I got an email for it a week in advance, ruining the surprise. It's really annoying getting emails for canceled trips though, like the one I just got. I'm glad Alaska thinks I'm flying to Frankfurt next week, but that's long been changed for a trip to Berlin instead.

Do you use Outlook for your e-mail? Reason I ask is that Outlook tries to be intuitive by taking anything it interprets as a schedule and automatically adding it to your calendar, including flights. When you cancel a trip via alaskaair.com or the app, Outlook has no idea you've done that and still sends updates about what it believes are still scheduled trips from your calendar. It's not AS sending new e-mail on cancelled trips.

jinglish Dec 13, 2017 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Snowdevil (Post 29169734)
It's not AS sending new e-mail on cancelled trips.

Yes, it is.

T2A Dec 13, 2017 10:50 am

I believe at the bottom of those emails is an unsubscribe option.

I haven't received emails about cancelled flights from Alaska, but Google auto-adds to my calendar and doesn't update cancellations or itinerary changes. For instance I got an alert a couple days ago that I was supposed to board my BA flight in First which had been cancelled by BA (mistake fare). Salt in the wound! Haha

nomiiiii Dec 13, 2017 11:09 am

Yes, I have received emails about cancelled trips also, which makes me panic because I think I made a mistake and forgot to cancel.

A lot of other companies send similar "get ready" emails with hotel/car offers but usually the same day as your booking - in all those cases I hate it.

eponymous_coward Dec 13, 2017 11:33 am

I've gotten them as well. It's really irritating because I have TripIt poll my mailbox, so I end up with duplicated trip plans. Oh, and I don't see a way to unsubscribed from "Hey, doofus, have you made all your plans yet?" emails. (Duh, yes, I have, I'm not an idiot, but thanks for spamming me!)

alphaeagle Dec 13, 2017 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 29170042)
Oh, and I don't see a way to unsubscribed from "Hey, doofus, have you made all your plans yet?" emails. (Duh, yes, I have, I'm not an idiot, but thanks for spamming me!)

This email along with the "did you forget to make a reservation?" email after I do a search when I'm logged in made me unsubscribe from all Alaska emails. I don't like being treated like an idiot either, and there is no way to unsubscribe just from those emails. Alaska isn't alone in the travel industry in sending condescending and insulting emails, but I thought they were better than that.

pfpdx Dec 13, 2017 4:18 pm

I really don't like the "Your ticket is waiting for you emails."

I haven't seen this on Alaska yet, but on United sometimes I get them even after I have booked the trip, but am just checking the dates again for the usual/obsessive flyertalk behavior.

jrl767 Dec 13, 2017 8:36 pm

those who work in sales and marketing aren’t entirely stupid — I suggest that this is ENTIRELY a consequence of our (collective) demand to be connected to pretty much everything pretty much all the time, and connectivity (read “more prospective targets, therefore more $$”) is where that workforce thrives

not that it’s particularly relevant, but it just occurred to me that “sales and marketing” can be acronym-ized to “S&M” :p

be_rettSEA Dec 14, 2017 9:55 am

Originally Posted by pfpdx (Post 29171103)
I really don't like the "Your ticket is waiting for you emails."

I haven't seen this on Alaska yet, but on United sometimes I get them even after I have booked the trip, but am just checking the dates again for the usual/obsessive flyertalk behavior.

I got one from Alaska last week when making a bunch of changes to upcoming trips around the holidays. 3.5 hours after receiving a confirmation for a flight from PHX > SEA, I received an email with the subject "There's a ticket to Seattle with your name on it" with the body saying things like "We're holding your seat!" (obviously a bit misleading, but that's a different issue) and "Seats still available!" "Seattle on your mind? We still have seats waiting for you. There's no better time to start your journey. Book now!".

This isn't the first time it's happened (as I often use AS site to play with dates and various flights, so assume some end up showing "not booked' by them), but it always gives me a moment of panic that maybe I hadn't fully gone through with booking the flights I thought I had.

quemalo Dec 15, 2017 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Snowdevil (Post 29169734)
It's not AS sending new e-mail on cancelled trips.

It very much is. I received another one this morning for a different canceled trip to Frankfurt. Looking at the mail headers shows that it was sent this morning from ifly.alaskaair.com, and dmarc passed so it was clearly from an alaskaair.com server.

milypan Dec 15, 2017 10:02 am

Originally Posted by jinglish (Post 29169740)
Yes, it is.

Yup, just got a bunch of these myself for canceled trips.

cyborg Feb 12, 2018 6:23 am

deleted

pdxasflyer Feb 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA (Post 29173455)
I got one from Alaska last week when making a bunch of changes to upcoming trips around the holidays. 3.5 hours after receiving a confirmation for a flight from PHX > SEA, I received an email with the subject "There's a ticket to Seattle with your name on it" with the body saying things like "We're holding your seat!" (obviously a bit misleading, but that's a different issue) and "Seats still available!" "Seattle on your mind? We still have seats waiting for you. There's no better time to start your journey. Book now!".

This isn't the first time it's happened (as I often use AS site to play with dates and various flights, so assume some end up showing "not booked' by them), but it always gives me a moment of panic that maybe I hadn't fully gone through with booking the flights I thought I had.

The easiest way to rid yourself of these emails is to not be signed into AS.com when doing flight searches. I used to get those, but have learned to do all of my research - including copying/pasting certificate codes - outside of my account. I no longer get those.