Award Fl-ATL-BKK availability in J

Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Award Fl-ATL-BKK availability in J

I have heard AS is a good airlines for low mileage awards to SE Asia. I went to their website and discovered for J seats on CX it was only 50,000 and for Haiman A and Japan A it was only 60,000.

2 Questions- how good is the availability if I am flexible and I look to book 6-11 months in the future ?

2nd Q- What is the best way to search for availability-call AS firect ?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Out of ATL, your problem is going to be getting to the CX/HU/JL gateway because Alaska will not allow you to mix AA onto the itinerary (which has many more options out of ATL than AS does); you may only have AS and one partner airline on any award. Thus you MUST connect at SEA/PDX and then (if flying CX or JL) double connect SEA-Gateway (HU serves SEA). That or pay cash for a separate connecting flight to a different CX/JL/HU gateway. (JFK, BOS, ORD etc.)

I suspect AS Y availability for SEA-ATL will be possible, F may be difficult. More so than CX/JL/HU. The positioning flights may be a better option if you don't mind spending the extra cash. I don't think AS is an ideal airline loyalty program for someone based in ATL, for the reasons I mentioned (very limited choices for service, must purchase positioning flights or hope there are AS awards to gateways that involve multi-stop itineraries). If you can get past the downsides and make it work for you it might be OK.

You can search for JL and HU availability at alaskaair.com online. We have an entire thread and wiki that discusses booking CX.

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 12, 2017 at 2:05 pm
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:13 pm

You will most likely have to get a cash ticket seperately from Atlanta to SFO/LAX/YVR/SAN/SJC etc .... but once there on your own dime, you should be able to find award space reasonably easily.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Korean is currently an AS partner and flies between ATL and ICN, then it's a 6 hour flight ICN-BKK. I've seen availability 3 and 6 months out on this route regularly. I believe it is 65,000 miles each way, but MUST book roundtrip to get that...otherwise, it is 130k one way. Very low taxes on the ticket, too!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Problem is KE has about a third of the year blacked out. If you can live with that and go round trip it works, but it is a lot of dates.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Ralph and EC, according to AS website KE would be a bad choice because it requires more points than the other airlines I mentioned.

After reading the other replies I called AS and the rep also told me to buy a flight, but he recommended JFK.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:26 am

I'm reading that there is going to be a new Washington-Hong Kong flight on CX announced pretty soon. If that is the case (and there is actually award space available), buying a seperate ATL-Washington ticket and combining that with an award flight might be an option.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by redtigeriii
I'm reading that there is going to be a new Washington-Hong Kong flight on CX announced pretty soon. If that is the case (and there is actually award space available), buying a seperate ATL-Washington ticket and combining that with an award flight might be an option.
Unless it turns out like TLV where CX keeps adding flights, but it keeps selling all the seats
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
You will most likely have to get a cash ticket seperately from Atlanta to SFO/LAX/YVR/SAN/SJC etc .... but once there on your own dime, you should be able to find award space reasonably easily.
Why in the world would somebody buy a cash ticket for such a long connecting flight (2000+ miles)? Much easier to get a cash ticket to JFK/EWR/BOS/ORD (600 miles for ORD) and take CX (or JL or HU from JFK/BOS/ORD) from there.

Originally Posted by redtigeriii
There is already flights from EWR/JFK/BOS/ORD so no need to wait for IAD.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peachman
Ralph and EC, according to AS website KE would be a bad choice because it requires more points than the other airlines I mentioned.
But if you are paying for positioning flights (that mean building in extra time because of separate tickets) with cash on top of points...

Also, HU has fairly large fuel surcharges. If it was $600 in positioning flights and fuel surcharges + 100k miles for HU vs. $50 and 120k miles for KE and NOT having positioning flights on separate tickets (that you are not protected on if you are delayed), I would pick KE. CX doesn’t have surcharges but even then if you miss a positioning flight or are late for the positioning flight coming home, CX has no obligations to help you. That means building in extra time to the itinerary or accepting a risk of expensive last minute tickets.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:12 pm

Coming from ATL, just book the KE ATL-ICN-BKK flight. Having it on one ticket is an extremely good idea, and the quick search I just did for next November has J availability all the way through.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by quemalo
Coming from ATL, just book the KE ATL-ICN-BKK flight. Having it on one ticket is an extremely good idea, and the quick search I just did for next November has J availability all the way through.
Until Delta has their way and makes KE drop their partnership with AS .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.