Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) Redemptions - Limited Availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines (SQ) Redemptions - Limited Availability

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Well my letter was ignored. I don’t understand what AS’s plan is. Already having an agreement and ability to book with BA, Aer Lingus should at the very less be available for redemptions.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SQ did have long-haul suite availability for UA (not sure about other alliance partners), at least for a while. I'm not sure if it's still available. It was widely reported (on blogs, as well as discussed on FT).

Again, I'm not sure if it's still available (I don't have enough UA miles to care, yet), so I'm not sure if it was just a mistake or if it signals the beginning of some sort of policy shift
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
SQ did have long-haul suite availability for UA (not sure about other alliance partners), at least for a while. I'm not sure if it's still available. It was widely reported (on blogs, as well as discussed on FT).

Again, I'm not sure if it's still available (I don't have enough UA miles to care, yet), so I'm not sure if it was just a mistake or if it signals the beginning of some sort of policy shift
What do you mean? Redeeming Krisflyer miles on UA? Or redeeming UA on SQ? Or just making a general point that SQ is releasing more Premium space at saver levels?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Sure the A380 is nice, but I’ll still fly EK over them any day of the week.
It may be a matter of what appeals to you or doesn’t.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...es-3180824.php

We’re never going to be able to redeem premium awards on SQ anyways because of the availability. This I am sure of.
I‘m curious about how many points may be needed for economy.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

There have been “mistakes” where SQ has opened up wide spread *A availability in all cabins for short periods of time, but I can assure you that SQ has never had long term widespread availability for partners in R (Suites) or long haul F or J (which is the important part for a US pax since wide open SIN-DPS is pretty useless for 99% of folks without a way to get to SIN). I’ve been redeeming CO/UA miles for SQ regional J for some time now and pay attention to this stuff; you’re going to have to prove your statement with actual blogs, posts, etc. to me because I am pretty sure I haven’t been asleep at the wheel.

For instance:

https://onemileatatime.com/singapore...flights-to-us/

Yeah, SQ regional would be nice (I’ve flown it when it was a good deal on CO/UA miles) but given how AS has had to deal with brokers, and you have to fly 5000+ miles to use it, it isn’t very valuable.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do you mean? Redeeming Krisflyer miles on UA? Or redeeming UA on SQ? Or just making a general point that SQ is releasing more Premium space at saver levels?
You could (can?) book SQ suites using UA miles.

Eg: https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...e-to-auckland/
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Historically, that’s been a regional route for SQ- AU/NZ is one of the places where they will open up J to partners, much like Asia, because they don’t use their long haul equipment. It looks like they’re running A380s on it at the moment.

Show me where you can get USA-SIN with UA miles. Probably not too many AS MP members living in NZ as opposed to the US. And given the restrictions on combining partners on AS, just having regional routes that don’t touch the USA, and thus random places where you have to book a second award isn’t going to cut it. AS really tends to cater to a US audience...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 8, 2019 at 1:08 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
uA is blocking all Sq and tg space currently.

Missed the date when I booked

Hkt bkk sin mle, CMB sin bkk hkt for 30k miles in J
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Historically, that’s been a regional route for SQ- AU/NZ is one of the places where they will open up J to partners, much like Asia, because they don’t use their long haul equipment. It looks like they’re running A380s on it at the moment.

That is one hell of a region. It's a 5200 mile flight.

Show me where you can get USA-SIN with UA miles. Probably not too many AS MP members living in NZ as opposed to the US. And given the restrictions on combining partners on AS, just having regional routes that don’t touch the USA, and thus random places where you have to book a second award isn’t going to cut it. AS really tends to cater to a US audience...
So there are 2 regions.. "US" and "Rest of World"?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is one hell of a region. It's a 5200 mile flight.

So there are 2 regions.. "US" and "Rest of World"?
It depends on where they send their long haul equipment, generally. The US is about as far from SIN as you can get, given that their two longest flights are... wait for it...to the US. So it always gets longhaul equipped planes- A380s, 77Ws, and the longhaul and ULH A359.

But yeah, when I redeemed HKG-SIN using *A miles, I didn’t have the choice to fly the A380 or 77W. Just A330s and 772s with regional equipment. SQ will sometimes fly it on longer routes to Australia/NZ/Europe (say CPH, where F and J don’t sell great). Just not to the US.

I’m surprised they are allowing partner awards on the A380 in R on AKL-SIN-AKL. TBH I am surprised they are flying an A380 on that route at all. Wouldn’t shock me to see it go A359/787-10; EK withdrew A380s in those markets because it doesn’t sell, CX cut F in those markets long ago, QF cut back for similar reasons.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 8, 2019 at 8:07 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delete

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 8, 2019 at 8:00 pm Reason: Double post
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ULH doesn't even have suites. It's 2-class -- business and premium economy.

I'm talking specifically about being able to redeem for their first class suites. Business is nice but lots of other partners have that.

Just like when I redeem my AA miles on etihad I'm looking for space in F apartments. It's a product that stands out vs the competition. If it was just business class I'd have a lot more partners to choose from (and therefore wouldn't care if one particular partner didn't have space)
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
I remember seeing redemption on HKG-SFO in J with A3 miles at one point.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Not for long after the bloggers picked that up. SQ shut it down within a day.

The general rule is you cannot book 77W, 380, or 350 in a premium cabin through *A partners. There are occasional exceptions . . . most are mistakes by SQ, occasionally they are intentional (like SQ briefly allowing *A redemptions in J on SFO-SIN and LAX-SIN on the 350).

Lot of misinformation in this thread about the award inventory SQ makes available to partners.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not for long after the bloggers picked that up. SQ shut it down within a day.

The general rule is you cannot book 77W, 380, or 350 in a premium cabin through *A partners. There are occasional exceptions . . . most are mistakes by SQ, occasionally they are intentional (like SQ briefly allowing *A redemptions in J on SFO-SIN and LAX-SIN on the 350).

Lot of misinformation in this thread about the award inventory SQ makes available to partners.
My bet is the REGIONAL A359/787-10 (the 359 with just J and Y that is derated and used for shorter flights) will be OK for J redemptions, just like A330s and 772s are/were, but longhaul A359s not so much. But otherwise agree 100%.

The odds that AS is going to get inventory UA and the rest of *A doesn’t get resemble lottery odds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.