Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) Redemptions - Limited Availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines (SQ) Redemptions - Limited Availability

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
If you have UA status or a UA branded Chase credit card you get expanded economy award availability on UA metal only (must log in to your account first when searching online). No premium cabin expanded award availability unless you are Global Services.
Platinum and 1K are also supposed to get better award availability for select premium awards - although certainly not the level that GS get.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I really wish they would somehow prioritize availability to elites. I know they’re making a killing on selling miles but it really does such a disservice to those of us who are loyal to AS.
I don't really see why they couldn't do this, even with partners. Create a subset of the actual partner availability that's available to everyone, and keep the entire pot available for MVPG and G75k's.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
AS MM'ers only?
Basically whatever will make sure that I get it, but the rest of you don’t.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SF1K
Platinum and 1K are also supposed to get better award availability for select premium awards - although certainly not the level that GS get.
Yes, Plat and 1K (and GS) do get better saver business availability. IN vs. I. The difference is less significant than XN vs. X, but there is a difference.

With respect to SQ, the idea of differentiating availability makes little sense. SQ is not going to make available the seats that people really want (long haul J/F on 380, 350, 77W), and the incremental demand for SQ intra-Asia from MP members is not going to move the needle, given that inventory is already available for booking via UA, AC, AV, etc.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, Plat and 1K (and GS) do get better saver business availability. IN vs. I. The difference is less significant than XN vs. X, but there is a difference.

With respect to SQ, the idea of differentiating availability makes little sense. SQ is not going to make available the seats that people really want (long haul J/F on 380, 350, 77W), and the incremental demand for SQ intra-Asia from MP members is not going to move the needle, given that inventory is already available for booking via UA, AC, AV, etc.
I have never had high status so I cannot say for sure but in my checking fares I rarely found IN > I, sometimes but very rarely. I have not done recent checks so maybe it is more pronounced now? The value I perceived in higher status for awards was higher priority on the waitlists.

I agree, SQ is not going to make longhaul J/F available for AS. They hold them for themselves. They do not release those to other partners even in their own alliance so it would be beyond the stretch of my imagination to think they would release these for only AS. Where there is some hope is that AS may get access to Premium Economy awards (which are not available to Star Alliance partners) so availability might be decent on these.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I don't really see why they couldn't do this, even with partners. Create a subset of the actual partner availability that's available to everyone, and keep the entire pot available for MVPG and G75k's.
Because the are already available through non-mvps to the partner's other partners.

Eg, if there is CX availability, and you need to be MVPG to book through Alaska, but anyone can book that same seat through AA... exactly what does that accomplish? It just devalues AS vs AA.

What you were saying would make sense if AS had their own quota of space that no one else has access to. Then they could control access however they wished. But they don't.

What Alaska could do is offer discounts to elites (or, more likely, raise the price for non-elites to be more in line with other programs). That would make AS elite status very valuable.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Even if they could do this — which seems like a rosy view of AS IT — I don’t see how it would help. 99% of the time, it’s not an AS member who is taking the available award seat, it’s someone in another program. So restricting availability for AS non-elites will have virtually no impact on partner award availability for AS elites.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: alaska
Just a bump to remind folks to continue to query Alaska about this. Been well over a year now.
flo_147 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I’m really starting to wonder if AS made some deal with SQ where AS miles can’t be redeemed on SQ...

As mentioned above, ample time has passed for them to introduce mileage redemptions onto SQ, and it has not materialized. So I’m wondering if this is a possibility?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I’m really starting to wonder if AS made some deal with SQ where AS miles can’t be redeemed on SQ...

As mentioned above, ample time has passed for them to introduce mileage redemptions onto SQ, and it has not materialized. So I’m wondering if this is a possibility?
With the poor MP earning rates, I anticipate AS hasn't been able to negotiate sub 100K premium cabin awards, or premium cabin awards at all for that matter. For North America based flyers, in my opinion, there is very little incentive to fly them otherwise. Even the odd "good" PE fare is too expensive on an EQM cpm basis.

James
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
For North America based flyers, in my opinion, there is very little incentive to fly them otherwise. Even the odd "good" PE fare is too expensive on an EQM cpm basis.
Which is naturally the basis on which most flyers make their decisions. SQ is in trouble.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Still waiting on Aer Lingus to go online as well
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Well there has to be some reason AS has not released SQ and Aer Lingus awards.

I wonder if the cap purchasing of 150K miles for non-elites has to do with redemption negotiations? Even if it’s not long hauls it would be nice to have SQ as an option intra-asia.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Honestly, given SQ's reticence in general (at the end of the day, I don't think SQ is going to release much of anything in a premium cabin except *maybe* some odd short-hop stuff), I'd really like to see AS just declare them an "earning only" partner and call it a day. To be fair, I think most of SQ's non-alliance partners might want to consider doing the same...SQ may be a nice "feather in the cap" partner for some of them because of their premium cabin reputation, but IIRC they're even stingy about their in-alliance availability (though I've heard a little bit does come out there now and again,lest *A consider dumping them), let alone with other partners.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Even if it’s not long hauls it would be nice to have SQ as an option intra-asia.
Until the inevitable Asian or other mileage brokers start ruining the fun the way they have for CX close in redemptions.
NWplatinum and Flying for Fun like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.