Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) Redemptions - Limited Availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines (SQ) Redemptions - Limited Availability

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
My bet is the REGIONAL A359/787-10 (the 359 with just J and Y that is derated and used for shorter flights) will be OK for J redemptions, just like A330s and 772s are/were, but longhaul A359s not so much.
Yes, they've made the 781 available for redemption through UA. By all reports, it's a great J product, arguably better than the 359. Will have to see how the regional 359s are handled (and in particular whether SQ can code them separate from the long-haul 359s).

The odds that AS is going to get inventory UA and the rest of *A doesn’t get resemble lottery odds.
I'll go out on a limb and say zero chance.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE

My bet is the REGIONAL A359/787-10 (the 359 with just J and Y that is derated and used for shorter flights) will be OK for J redemptions, just like A330s and 772s are/were, but longhaul A359s not so much. But otherwise agree 100%.

The odds that AS is going to get inventory UA and the rest of *A doesn’t get resemble lottery odds.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, they've made the 781 available for redemption through UA. By all reports, it's a great J product, arguably better than the 359. Will have to see how the regional 359s are handled (and in particular whether SQ can code them separate from the long-haul 359s).

I'll go out on a limb and say zero chance.
We don't even need to go out on limbs here, we have access to zero inventory already!
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
As the days move on, I’m starting to think more and more that we’re not gonna get access to SQ.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
As the days move on, I’m starting to think more and more that we’re not gonna get access to SQ.
I could see Y and Y+, maybe J regional (though with fraudsters that might not make a lot of sense). But it won’t shock me to see it turn into a AM situation...

Funny how you can redeem SQ for AS though.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Well we aren't getting suites, so what the point.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by CDKing
Um...getting to Asia?

Maybe using miles earned on my work trips to fly a whole family the best economy class available?

Suites is awesome, but so is Asia.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Funny how you can redeem SQ for AS though.
Maybe. I tried the other month to redeem for available saver seats (confirmed on AS and AA websites), but the SQ agent claimed there was nothing he could see. I didn’t care enough to try HUACA.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalanMan

Um...getting to Asia?

Maybe using miles earned on my work trips to fly a whole family the best economy class available?

We already have lots of ways to get to Asia, on good airlines. If you can't fly SQ you can fly JAL or CX or KE or even EK if you want to take the scenic route. One more would be nice, I guess, but not exactly exciting.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
We already have lots of ways to get to Asia, on good airlines. If you can't fly SQ you can fly JAL or CX or KE or even EK if you want to take the scenic route. One more would be nice, I guess, but not exactly exciting.
Agreed that AS already partners with quality airlines in Asia, but I do think there is some value in being able to get to Southeast Asia non-stop. I personally always include a couple of days in Singapore when visiting Southeast Asia anyway and certainly wouldn't mind avoiding an additional connection in Tokyo, Hong Kong, or Seoul.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by CalanMan

Um...getting to Asia?

I've been to Asia a dozen times on AS partners. SQ doesn't add much that you don't already have.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
We already have lots of ways to get to Asia, on good airlines. ... One more would be nice, I guess, but not exactly exciting.
This is basically exactly how I feel about this. More partners and options would be nice. My response was a direct response to:

And to the response:

I've been to Asia a dozen times on AS partners. SQ doesn't add much that you don't already have.
I have also been to Asia multiple times on Alaska partners, generally in premium cabins. (Once in Suites, even.) I'm under the impression that SQ has a better Y than CX, but even if it didn't, there's still a point to having more options.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:01 am

I wrote into AS about Aer Lingus and SQ redemptions and all I got back was that my comments had been “noted.” Two years is a long time. I’m genuinely curious what the hold up is? Are they trying to negotiate the miles for redemptions or is it a computer/software problem?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:07 am

We will be lucky if SQ allows Y+ ex-USA for 40-50k each way. I think the odds of SQ J ex-USA are negligible considering how many people buy AS miles without actually flying the airline. They don’t hand it out to UA or AV either...
Also to this point: now that AS has capped the miles at 150K per person whose not elite, it should benefit us greatly. With more availability now, they’ve gotten rid of all the mileage brokers and swindlers. The move makes me speculate if this was something their partners pressured them to do?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Also to this point: now that AS has capped the miles at 150K per person whose not elite, it should benefit us greatly. With more availability now, they’ve gotten rid of all the mileage brokers and swindlers. The move makes me speculate if this was something their partners pressured them to do?
Wouldn’t shock me. They also might have done it because why cash from MP is nice, they (unlike, say AA) make money flying the planes.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The move makes me speculate if this was something their partners pressured them to do?
Extremely unlikely. AS is a small, inconsequential player in the FF world. Many of SQ's larger partners, including particularly UA with one of the largest FFPs in the world, sell miles freely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.