Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) Redemptions - Limited Availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines (SQ) Redemptions - Limited Availability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Jma12
Redemption will probably limited to Intra-Asia, Asia-NA, NA-Asia. Asia-NA and NA-Asia redemption will be limited to Y and possibly Y+, Intra-Asia will have J as well. I hope they will have the upper deck J available for redemption.
I suspect it as well (though I could see an outside shot at Asia-Australia/NZ and NA-Australia/NZ, plus NA-Europe), but it would be news to me (and pretty much all the FF community) if SQ availability for partner J out of North America was "pretty good" unless you were doing some wacky AV hack involving chainsaws and boomerangs, or whatever the code word they are using these days. I suspect someone from Adelaide has a lot more access to SQ regional J though, given that SQ does NOT restrict their slanty J and Australia gets it- I've flown it, multiple times on *A partner awards.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: alaska
Any update on this? Been what, 1.5 years?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I originally was kind of upset about this and not releasing redemptions on AY too. But then I realized you’re never going to be able to find space on SQ anyway so what’s the rush?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by gdam22
Any update on this? Been what, 1.5 years?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I originally was kind of upset about this and not releasing redemptions on AY too. But then I realized you’re never going to be able to find space on SQ anyway so what’s the rush?
My flight in J SIN-DXB on the 777 was nothing to write home about. Weird J seats were very uncomfortable, more tolerable if you can get a bulkhead seat but they are blocked out for KrisFlyer Elites. Service was fine, not memorable. Other aircraft may be a different experience. Not a good option for AS EQM.

It will come when it comes. I am in no rush myself.

James
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
My flight in J SIN-DXB on the 777 was nothing to write home about. Weird J seats were very uncomfortable, more tolerable if you can get a bulkhead seat but they are blocked out for KrisFlyer Elites. Service was fine, not memorable. Other aircraft may be a different experience. Not a good option for AS EQM.

It will come when it comes. I am in no rush myself.

James
100% agree. I just did HKG-SFO in FIRST on the “new” (I say new because all they did was refresh everything and take out a row of F) 777 and it wasn’t anything special. SQ is not the crem de la creme they once were. Everything was fine but nothing super amazing. Sure the A380 is nice, but I’ll still fly EK over them any day of the week.

We’re never going to be able to redeem premium awards on SQ anyways because of the availability. This I am sure of.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum

100% agree. I just did HKG-SFO in FIRST on the “new” (I say new because all they did was refresh everything and take out a row of F) 777 and it wasn’t anything special. SQ is not the crem de la creme they once were. Everything was fine but nothing super amazing. Sure the A380 is nice, but I’ll still fly EK over them any day of the week.

We’re never going to be able to redeem premium awards on SQ anyways because of the availability. This I am sure of.
I'll take EK anyday too. The SQ flight we took was SIN-DXB which I had no problem booking 2 J through KrisFlyer. I transferred from SPG. I have a couple of Mileage Runs coming up with segments in J on AS Partners. I chose EK over SQ because I enjoy the onboard bar in J on EK A380 and Emirates accrues a 25% COS in Business, SQ does not.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:06 am
Original Member

Hello all
Just checking if AS has given any update on redemptions on SQ? It's been a long time!
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all
Just checking if AS has given any update on redemptions on SQ? It's been a long time!
no updates.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: alaska
I find EK to be the most overrated airline. Their cabins are old and entertainment screens outdated, omelette was a rubber shoe, and the bathroom situation on their A-380s is pretty terrible...probably the worst international flights I've taken in the last 5 years... The one time on SQ was fantastic service...so interesting to hear different experiences.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all
You can safely assume it will be sometime before never
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
I find EK to be the most overrated airline. Their cabins are old and entertainment screens outdated, omelette was a rubber shoe, and the bathroom situation on their A-380s is pretty terrible...probably the worst international flights I've taken in the last 5 years... The one time on SQ was fantastic service...so interesting to hear different experiences.
Is there a second, decrepit model of the EK A380 I haven't flown recently? Otherwise, this sounds like a bit of an outlier. My EK flights in F over the last several years have been a uniform delight.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
You can safely assume it will be sometime before never
Not so sure that is a safe assumption.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Is there a second, decrepit model of the EK A380 I haven't flown recently? Otherwise, this sounds like a bit of an outlier. My EK flights in F over the last several years have been a uniform delight.
Hmmm. I have taken at least 10 EK F flights in the past few years and never had a bad experience on one of them.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
lol okay.. yes, I found their omelette to be pretty rubbery, but it's eggs reheated in the sky so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. The restrooms I used in EK business and first were nicer than most others I've used domestic or internationally. Okay, the cabins aren't brand new, but certainly don't feel old or outdated to me, and their IFE system had the largest selection I've seen, with some pretty large screens. I've not tried SQ yet, but hoping to soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.