Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) Redemptions - Limited Availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Alaska and Singapore Airlines has been parter for a while. on official website it said it will be able to redeem Singapore airlines late this fall. but now it has been December! Anyone know or heard some news about it?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Someday (technically its still fall). AS isn't very good at meeting targets. most new partners go past the season they mention. Hopefully by spring is my guess
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:17 am

It would be nice if they would at least publish the award chart. I'll be happy if it resembles the CX awards.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I was curious, too, and a week ago I reached out to the AS Social Media Team to ask the question. The first Agent replied, very quickly, "Great question! Let me see what info I can get for you on that. I apologize for the wait!" I thanked them for the swift response and got another reply, "We do our best I reached out to our Leadership. We should have more info in the morning. We will follow up with you then if that's ok?"

The next day I received a reply from a different Agent: "Thanks for your patience while we looked into this. We are still waiting to hear form [sic] Mileage Plan leadership. Unfortunately, no exact date for award bookings has been announced yet." Included in that message was a link to the SQ partner overview page on AS's website. I then asked if they still expected to hear from Milage Plan leadership in response to my inquiry and the reply was, "Unfortunately, there will not be a follow-up. We will make it public when it's official (i.e. email, web page, social media, etc.). Typically we all find out around the same time."

I'm with you, myleguy, in hoping that the awards will resemble those with CX but I don't think it's realistic at all.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by bbinchi
I was curious, too, and a week ago I reached out to the AS Social Media Team to ask the question. The first Agent replied, very quickly, "Great question! Let me see what info I can get for you on that. I apologize for the wait!" I thanked them for the swift response and got another reply, "We do our best I reached out to our Leadership. We should have more info in the morning. We will follow up with you then if that's ok?"

The next day I received a reply from a different Agent: "Thanks for your patience while we looked into this. We are still waiting to hear form [sic] Mileage Plan leadership. Unfortunately, no exact date for award bookings has been announced yet." Included in that message was a link to the SQ partner overview page on AS's website. I then asked if they still expected to hear from Milage Plan leadership in response to my inquiry and the reply was, "Unfortunately, there will not be a follow-up. We will make it public when it's official (i.e. email, web page, social media, etc.). Typically we all find out around the same time."

I'm with you, myleguy, in hoping that the awards will resemble those with CX but I don't think it's realistic at all.

That's pretty much the exact same response I got a few weeks ago when I asked about Finnair and Singapore.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
With JL they took forever to get redemptions up and running. Nothing much we can do but be patient.

Originally Posted by myleguy
It would be nice if they would at least publish the award chart. I'll be happy if it resembles the CX awards.
Why publish the award chart when awards can't even be booked? It'll just confuse a lot of people. In any case, don't expect much from SQ awards. Even if they have reasonable rates for US-Asia, only Y awards will be possible.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Seems we can only be patient to wait now
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SilverChris
With JL they took forever to get redemptions up and running. Nothing much we can do but be patient.

Why publish the award chart when awards can't even be booked? It'll just confuse a lot of people. In any case, don't expect much from SQ awards. Even if they have reasonable rates for US-Asia, only Y awards will be possible.
You certain they won't allow Y+? AS, unlike UA and most *A airlines, allows Y+ redemptions on partners. Might be willing to spring for LAX-SIN-NRT on SQ with NRT stopover if AS allows it at reasonable cost in miles; a daytime flight in SQ Y+ for 10 hours seems OK (the marginal value over J isn't great for daytime flights- the same might be true for FRA-JFK as a daytime flight). I doubt there would be J or F, but Y+ doesn't seem ridiculous.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Finding SQ F award with partner miles is like finding a unicorn.
Metanoia likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Given the ease with which miles are accrued here in the US, it wouldn't surprise me if SQ either doesn't offer AS Mileage Plan a First Class award (a la KE, AF) or prices it way up there as with EK.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Given the ease with which miles are accrued here in the US, it wouldn't surprise me if SQ either doesn't offer AS Mileage Plan a First Class award (a la KE, AF) or prices it way up there as with EK.
I would be fine with that; I end up booking my SQ first rewards via Amex points anyway
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Looks like Singapore just reconfigured their awards structure going forward. So either AS was told his would be coming up or they have to start all over again. Other way it might now be a while.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
J award space has been pretty good with Avianca Lifemiles. So - maybe AS will have access.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by davistev
J award space has been pretty good with Avianca Lifemiles. So - maybe AS will have access.
Are you referring to Australia/NZ award space or North America? Because SQ flies regional J to Australia/NZ and doesn’t block it. Not so much North America where they clamp down hard on partner award J.

Given that AS sometimes allows non—NA awards (CX) but often doesn’t, unlike AV, who has a region-based chart it’s a legitimate concern... or is it easy to get A380/77W J on AV without doing those sooper sekrit “chainsaw/boomerang” hacks?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Are you referring to Australia/NZ award space or North America? Because SQ flies regional J to Australia/NZ and doesn’t block it. Not so much North America where they clamp down hard on partner award J.

Given that AS sometimes allows non—NA awards (CX) but often doesn’t, unlike AV, who has a region-based chart it’s a legitimate concern... or is it easy to get A380/77W J on AV without doing those sooper sekrit “chainsaw/boomerang” hacks?
Redemption will probably limited to Intra-Asia, Asia-NA, NA-Asia. Asia-NA and NA-Asia redemption will be limited to Y and possibly Y+, Intra-Asia will have J as well. I hope they will have the upper deck J available for redemption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.