Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Dragon?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Cathay Dragon?

Do flights on Catahy Dragon count towards AS MVP? Can't tell as there's some conflicting info out there. Anyone flown on a Cathay Dragon segment lately?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
No, my PEK-HKG didn't post. They are out of the range of allowable flight numbers and disallowed according to the partner rules.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Not only that, but one cannot redeem on Cathay Dragon either with AS miles.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Unfortunately, one can not earn/burn on KA as it is not a partner of AS.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
This is a big gap in the Cathay partnership -- the equivalent would be lack of mileage credit on Horizon, but only if QX flew 1000+ mile flights. Most Cathay connections into mainland China are on Dragon Air.

Given that Dragon is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Cathay, why isn't this in place?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Cathay Dragon is still a seperate company from CX, just like VX flights don't credit to most AS partners even though both companies are opened by Alaska Air Group. Unlike QX, you can buy tickets with Cathay Dragon flight numbers and not just codeshare CX numbers.

Write to AS and ask for credit and redemption on Cathay Dragon. If it's important to you, let them know!
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
A key difference is that the VX state is transitional -- while the merger completes. Cathay purchased dragonair over a decade ago. They even renamed it Cathay Dragon a couple years ago to show how integrated they are.

But good point about suggesting this to AS.

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Cathay Dragon is still a seperate company from CX, just like VX flights don't credit to most AS partners even though both companies are opened by Alaska Air Group. Unlike QX, you can buy tickets with Cathay Dragon flight numbers and not just codeshare CX numbers.

Write to AS and ask for credit and redemption on Cathay Dragon. If it's important to you, let them know!
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
A key difference is that the VX state is transitional -- while the merger completes. Cathay purchased dragonair over a decade ago. They even renamed it Cathay Dragon a couple years ago to show how integrated they are.

But good point about suggesting this to AS.
Well this is what happens when airline is not in an alliance. Every partnership is individually negotiated. No different than than not having access to Jetstar which is owned by Qantas. Condor but Thomas Cook & Lufthansa. If its been this way for over a decade as you bring up, why do you think AS has any power to make it change now? What does AS have to offer. Its not like they are feeding Dragonair flights
kevincrumbs and milypan like this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Perhaps KA will become an AS partner some day. However during this change, I'm sure the AS redemption charts will be enhanced.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Perhaps KA will become an AS partner some day. However during this change, I'm sure the AS redemption charts will be enhanced.
Exactly what I was thinking. Cathay is a nice sweet spot on Alaska's chart right now, and based on past history it seems ripe for devaluation. It's hard to imagine them renegotiating in any way -- even trying to maintain the status quo -- that wouldn't result in the rates going up. I guess the *one* strengthened position Alaska might have in a new partnership agreement with Cathay Pacific (but not Dragon) is added feed at SFO/LAX from the merger. Still though... it's hard not to be cynical when it comes to the future of one's point balance.

I have no current use for Cathay Dragon. So my biased self-interest says leave well-enough alone, and don't wake any mythical fire-breathing creatures.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
It used to be the same way with SilkAir, Singapore's regional subsidiary -- you couldn't earn or burn UA miles on them.

May well still be the case. Definitely frustrating!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
It used to be the same way with SilkAir, Singapore's regional subsidiary -- you couldn't earn or burn UA miles on them.

May well still be the case. Definitely frustrating!
Still the case and still frustrating!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.