Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Reduced AS/AA Codeshare Effects on Routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reduced AS/AA Codeshare Effects on Routes?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Question Reduced AS/AA Codeshare Effects on Routes?

So when I jumped to AS last year, one of the reasons for doing so was that I'd have access to the domestic AA network.
Well go figure, that's basically all gone. Because annihilating merging with a fellow west-coast airline is just as good, right??? UGH.

Anyway, now there are lots of restrictions on what routes that AS and AA can and cannot code share on.
This is SEPARATE from mileage earning changes-- those I can read and understand.
But reading the DOT (or whoever)'s rulings on the reduced codeshares makes me feel like an imbecile.

SO- can someone accurately predict whether AS will specifically be able to market the AA nonstop DFW-ANC-DFW (AA flight 145) with an AS flight number in 2018?
Because as of today, AA is no longer going to run the 737MAX8 on the route next year, but rather a 757 (like always) with LIE FLAT J seats (NOT like always!).
That option is much more appealing to me than a redeye to SEA, PDX, or LAX and then a connection to DFW or DAL.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense- it's late and I'm befuddled.
But I'm specifically asking about an AS flight number (on AS ticket stock, I guess?) on the AA ANC/DFW summer seasonal run.
​​​​​​​Thanks, folks!

Last edited by Legend717; Dec 4, 2017 at 2:30 am Reason: Edited for clarity; it didn't help.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP
As far as I can recall the DOT restricts the ability to codeshare on AA/AS HUB<>HUB flying, and, therefore DFWANC would be ineligible for codeshare.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by QXflyer
As far as I can recall the DOT restricts the ability to codeshare on AA/AS HUB<>HUB flying, and, therefore DFWANC would be ineligible for codeshare.
Bummer.
Thanks for answering, though.
I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed for year-round AS service to DFW with the MAX.
​​​​​​​But I'm not holding my breath!
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The 'no codeshares from designated key airports' is one of four stipulations.

Actually, it's the Dept of Justice, not the Dept of Transportation, which is responsible for clearing airline mergers.

https://www.justice.gov/atr/case-doc...15971/download

Specific to the OP's question, an AS codeshare on AA-operated ANC-DFW is prohibited.

No AS-code on AA operated flights from AS' key airports: PDX, SEA, SFO, ANC

No AA-code on AS-operated from AA's key airports: CLT, MDW, ORD, DFW, DAL, FLL, JFK, MIA, LGA, PHL, PHX, DCA

The other stipulations are stated in the justice.gov link above.
Legend717 and pbelmore like this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The 'no codeshares from designated key airports' is one of four stipulations.

Actually, it's the Dept of Justice, not the Dept of Transportation, which is responsible for clearing airline mergers.

https://www.justice.gov/atr/case-doc...15971/download

Specific to the OP's question, an AS codeshare on AA-operated ANC-DFW is prohibited.

No AS-code on AA operated flights from AS' key airports: PDX, SEA, SFO, ANC

No AA-code on AS-operated from AA's key airports: CLT, MDW, ORD, DFW, DAL, FLL, JFK, MIA, LGA, PHL, PHX, DCA

The other stipulations are stated in the justice.gov link above.
Sadly the latter exclusion also applies to SEA-EWR flights, even though AA is not a major player at EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.