Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

So how did AS MP go for fellow 2017 newbies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So how did AS MP go for fellow 2017 newbies?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Slight derail, but likely informative to some;

Originally Posted by Legend717
And how can 150,000 LH miles be worthless?!?!
Oh where to begin ...
The most obvious problem is that M&M redemption is per leg, not per journey, on LH and DE.

Want to do FAI-DUB in J? Can't, but it's still 105k miles for a very disappointing hard and disappointing soft J in DE between ANC and FRA, plus hefty surcharge. Want to do FRA to DUB in J? Well, that's another 45k plus surcharges. So for a total of 150k miles I end up with generally sub-par products and tons of surcharges.
For 120k AS miles I can go from FAI-DUB in J, well F on AS on FAI-SEA, and then on J on BA all the way. Yes, BA has a ~$600 surcharge, but a far superior product than screwing around in what's essentially slightly above W in DE.

The only really cool thing about M&M redemption is to do a 3-region redemption between North America, the Caribbean, and Central America, taking advantage of the 3-day layover rule. That's 185k in J on UA with very minimal surcharges. Will add a few more miles to M&M and then do that 3-region redemption when I have nothing but time to make it work.

I hear what you are saying about not being able to book partner award travel online. While that is inconvenient I never had any issues booking via the partner desk. Just called with the flights I had in mind and boom, done. But yes, in 2017 I shouldn't have to talk to a person to get that done.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I moved from SFBA to Seattle in 2016, so the VX/AS merger was great for me. I status-matched into AS MVP Gold in early 2017, and am ending the year as AS MVP Gold 75K with ~500k miles in the bank, after converting ~160k VX points accumulated over the years, and some promos.

I've mostly been flying super-cheap partner business class (Condor to Europe, Iceland Air, Finnair, Hainan), and wanted to make sure I'd get my 90k this year, which I accomplished back in October. I've been flying mileage redemptions (5k and $6 one-way on VX! whoa) since then, mostly. Most of my domestic flying has been VX, some AS, but I try to avoid domestic flights if possible. (Even to the extent of driving up to YVR to fly transcon...)

Things I love: Alaska Baggage -- always faster to come out (I often have multiple checked pelican cases full of firearms and/or electronics). I collected points for a 25 minute wait exactly once. Free F upgrades (pretty high hit rate).

Things I miss: slight preference for VX Gold+Credit card giving me 3 free bags vs. 2. VX F > AS F if you're going to pay (I often did upgrades), but free AS F > free VX MCS. VX snacks seemed better. VX credit card was WAY better, but MVP Gold covers the same stuff.

Alaska also seems way better overall in IRROPS; I got screwed by the Horizon strike and stranded in Vancouver overnight, got a hotel and meals and generally well taken care of by Alaska. Bigger fleet, etc.

I've had a few cases where flights credited to the wrong program (VX or AS), where I'd picked a different one to maximize benefits or miles, but that's going to end this year anyway.

My friend is in the middle of a segment run on VX today so she can hit VX Gold on segments and then MVP Gold for 2017.

Definitely plan to retain MVP Gold (and hopefully 75K) going forward; I'm also going to try to get JL elite status to get lifetime oneworld.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
SAN based flyer who has been flying AS for a while but fully ditched AA this past year.

The overall value of AS miles is the biggest plus for me (very envious of OPs 681k balance!). I don't fly all that much (only MVP for 2018) but I love being able to redeem for CX, JL, and be able to change those reservations without a fee if done 60+ (I think?) days out (hear me, AA?)

Earning on partner J/F paid tickets is the second biggest plus to me. Its far more generous than AA, especially for discounted J fares on partners, which seem to come around more often than not nowadays.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
In a world of declining loyalty programs I still feel Alaska cares about the people that are loyal to them. I have been flying AS for four years now out of PDX and am pretty sad with the rapid partner loss that will force me to find alternate partners. As much as I love AS I don't see any way to get to most of the places I need to go in 2018 on partners or with decent schedules. South America is a dead zone. Europe is down to BA with massive fees or bit players like Condor, Icelandair and Finnair, all three combined don't have half the flights from US to EU that AF has.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First time using Alaska loyalty this year, and I just made Gold (no flights on AS, all were on Cathay or Qantas). I'm looking forward to having lounge access with British Airways, as I have flights with them in the new year, and will also accrue some points from an Emirates booking I have. Customer service staff have been wonderful when I have had to call them. Hoping to redeem some points in 2018 once I work out the best way (which partners) as AS don't fly to Toronto!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.