Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pet Peeve: “Alaskan” Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I'm just confused as to why its called Alaska Airlines, but its hub is in Seattle. When they started service to Nashville, a lot of my coworkers and friends were confused because they didn't think there was a big market for flights to Alaska. I told them the flight was to their hub in Seattle. Then they got confused because they didn't know Seattle was in Alaska.
It;s really a Seattle or Washington airline, as that's where the corporate offices are.
For 100+ years Washington based companies have been sucking the money out of Alaskans, from airlines to shipping and fishing.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
The sad thing about Eastbay1K's and Eujeanie's and others' posts is that my former boss made every single one of those mistakes nearly daily.

It was painful (though not the reason I did end up leaving that position ).
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
The sad thing about Eastbay1K's and Eujeanie's and others' posts is that my former boss made every single one of those mistakes nearly daily.

It was painful (though not the reason I did end up leaving that position ).
Writing or speaking? I often wondered whether they were just typos, no one really says "quite" for "quiet", do they?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Writing or speaking? I often wondered whether they were just typos, no one really says "quite" for "quiet", do they?
Both, though you're right, I don't think I ever heard him say "quite." I definitely did hear him talk about "wondering around" places, though. When he said that, I always pictured him as walking around with his mouth slightly open in a sense of awe and wonder as he walked.

I was his designated copyeditor for everything he sent to his boss. He was not at all a writer--and at least he knew it.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
"Alaskan" is the beer.

"Alaska" is the airline.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by Mehdron
Seattle has long been the hub for transportation between Alaska and 'Outside'. Seattle was first "made" by outfitters for the Klondike gold rush; the outfitters in Seattle made more money than most of the prospectors. Nowadays, most anything that goes by ship to Alaska goes through Seattle; the Alaska fishing fleet is based in Seattle; etc.
If it makes you feel any better, many of the signs at my local Seattle-area Safeway say Carr's. Fred Meyer is also not based in WA, but in OR/OH.

I did once convince a DL agent that ANC is a perfectly logical connection point to SEA from the Southeastern US. I almost had a VDB on BNA-ATL-SEA and had BNA-CVG-MSP-ANC-SEA as my alternate itinerary as other flights were sold out or required an overnight stay and connecting in ANC got me to SEA by 5:30 am.

Maybe not as much as Hawai'i, but there are some people who think that Alaska is a different country. The Disney movie Snow Dogs had a scene about this. Apparently that is part of the reason why AS no longer has the Alaskan flag above the entry door of each aircraft, which I believe was after the Gold Rush livery.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by beckoa
"Alaskan" is the beer.

"Alaska" is the airline.
And only the former is based in Alaska.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by AKronin
And only the former is based in Alaska.
You can drink Alaskan on Alaska but you can't fly AS to WN59 or WN74.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Why do people fly Southwest Airlines to Chicago Midway or Baltimore? Their name is Southwest, as in San Antonio and Phoenix.
Direction is all relative. From my house, Southwest is South Africa.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Crzn33k
As an employee of Alaska it drives me crazy.
on FB there is a page for airline employees to share loads.
I had someone ask for loads on Alaskan Airways.
when I told her how many F & Y were open she said o I thought you only flew small planes with only Y.
its sad she was an employee of American Airlines
Don't you mean that it was an employee of America Air?

BTW, if Alaskan changes its name to Seattlen Airlines (which cannot be abbreviated as SA), they won't be able to serve that good Baked Alaskan on board any more.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Smile

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I'm just confused as to why its called Alaska Airlines, but its hub is in Seattle. When they started service to Nashville, a lot of my coworkers and friends were confused because they didn't think there was a big market for flights to Alaska. I told them the flight was to their hub in Seattle. Then they got confused because they didn't know Seattle was in Alaska.
the airline that became Alaska Airlines was founded in Alaska and originally headquartered in Anchorage. The headquarters was later moved to Seattle when the airline expanded routes to cities outside of Alaska.

You can read the history of the airline here if you want:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines

I lived in Fairbanks through the 1970’s, when it was nicknamed “elastic scarelines”, largely on account of the unfortunate 1971 crash at Juneau. Most Alaskans I knew then chose Wien Air Alaska for in-state flights, and PanAm or Western Airlines for flights from Alaska to “outside” ( including Hawaii).

After moving to Seattle in 1988 my family and I started flying Alaska for our frequent trips to the Bay Area. This rapidly became my favorite airline and is now our airline of choice for domestic travel. The AS mileage program has been very good to us for foreign trips, including First on Qantas to Sydney and Club World to Italy on BA, twice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.