Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Bailing on a companion fare at connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bailing on a companion fare at connection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Stop using the word "technicality". That is what fare rules are.

While the thread about the family being tossed might be about something other than a Companion, it does show that AS is serious about its anti-fraud measures and OP needs to appreciate that the companion might get the boot and if that happens, what is Plan B?

The suggestion of using other passengers' BP's is a bad one. As a starting point it is a federal criminal violation. Is anyone likely going to prison? No. But, it's not the sort of thing one asks friends or colleagues (or whatever this companion) is and it's bad advice of the worst sort to give.

The best bet here --- shockingly for FT --- is to be honest and not a fraudster. If there is anything to be done, it is through AS in advance. So, call.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by lg20
I would call reservations and explain your situation. They very well may have leeway or another solution to achieve what you need without costing additional thousands.
I had a similar situation OAK to Hawaii RT. I could not fly the outbound because something came up but my companion needed to fly out on original itinerary. Called in and there is no flexibility on this. Had to buy two new tickets for outbound and change the companion fare ticket to a one way for our flight back together.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Often1
Stop using the word "technicality". That is what fare rules are.
No debate on what the rules are. However, I would say the average (non-FT) person would consider the fact that there is some sort of distinction between the two pax booked on identical flights that paid a single, combined fare is very much a technicality, but we're arguing semantics here which is beside the point.

The suggestion of using other passengers' BP's is a bad one.
As stated above, agreed completely.

The best bet here --- shockingly for FT --- is to be honest and not a fraudster.
Again, as stated above, nobody has any intent to be dishonest or a fraudster.

OP needs to appreciate that the companion might get the boot and if that happens, what is Plan B?
To simply pay the walk-up full fare, which is the only option currently available as well.

If there is anything to be done, it is through AS in advance. So, call.
Yup, and I will probably end up doing that. But as we all know some aspects of fare rules are routinely enforced, and some are routinely ignored. Simply trying to ascertain on which side of the line this case lies.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
is it possible (flight schedules? your calendar?) for you to just fly the ticket as booked, and then do an immediate return to the connecting city? you might consider using miles to reduce out-of-pocket cost ...
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
is it possible (flight schedules? your calendar?) for you to just fly the ticket as booked, and then do an immediate return to the connecting city? you might consider using miles to reduce out-of-pocket cost ...
Yes, I've considered that. But at 12 hours wasted in the air vs $2K, it's just about break even...
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Yes, I've considered that. But at 12 hours wasted in the air vs $2K, it's just about break even...
Well, it does net more miles

I appreciate the creativity of that response. Hadn't thought of it myself.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Just to close the loop on this, I ended up calling AS to discuss options. They insisted the rule is iron clad, and could not be overridden (at least by res; I remain skeptical that a GA would throw someone off the plane). As usual, AS was quite accommodating and allowed me to use the ticket for a different routing (which means the entire ticket was no longer a round trip) that both pax could actually fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.