Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger harassment allegation LAX-MZT

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Passenger harassment allegation LAX-MZT

Headline: "Randi Zuckerberg says Alaska Air staff enabled drunk passenger to harass her"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...OHP?li=BBnbfcN
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm glad to see the airline execs acting promptly and appropriately. They should also investigate the flight crew with regard to their possible disregard for regulations or policy. This is certainly a case where using the "Do you know who I am?" card was measured and appropriate.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:35 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I'm glad to see the airline execs acting promptly and appropriately. They should also investigate the flight crew with regard to their possible disregard for regulations or policy.
It's crazy that, considering how many stories we hear these days of people getting booted off flights for behavior (either justified or not, depending on which side of the story you hear), the crew didn't do anything when they received the complaint prior to departure.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Alaska's Social Care Team is top-notch. Now let's see how the management team takes the hand-off. Case study in progress...
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:32 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Hello Everyone,

I encourage a on topic discussion here but any off topic discussions will be deleted (as I have already deleted one post in this thread that would have sent the thread to OMNI Land).

Thanks
Ryandc99, Moderator Alaska Airlines
Grog, jinglish and pbelmore like this.

Last edited by ryandc99; Nov 30, 2017 at 10:05 am
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Hello Everyone,

I encourage a on topic discussion here but any off topic discussions will be deleted (as I have already deleted one post in this thread that would have sent the thread to OMNI Land).

Thanks
Mea culpa.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
what is wrong with people these days.

what is even more astounding to me is that the crew seemed to know who this guy was, his pattern of behavior, and have let him get away with it repeatedly in the past.

will be very interesting to see how AS handles this.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
what is even more astounding to me is that the crew seemed to know who this guy was, his pattern of behavior, and have let him get away with it repeatedly in the past.
Yep. Absolutely inexcusable behavior from the FAs here.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:34 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Hello everyone, second warning to this thread.

I have deleted a few posts debating the person who is making the accusation and name calling.

I would like to leave this thread open, but if we cannot have a civil discussion we will eventually have no choice but to close it.

Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
what is wrong with people these days.

will be very interesting to see how AS handles this.
I don't think this is a new phenomenon. I think people are simply emboldened to speak out about it. In the case of sexual harassment I think this is a great development. I have never harassed or been harassed but nobody should be forced to endure this. Some of the other "social justice" issues out there are a little less above board in places and maybe this one will get there in time too. It seems like any sort of movement like this ends up being used as an agenda promoting tool by a more extreme segment at some point.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Statman, I live in Juneau - one of the most drunk places on the planet. I've sat next to my fair share of drunk passengers, and some nearby. and even in an airplane.

This to me is a highly isolated incident and Alaska needs handle it, especially if it is non-rev. I don't think her lashing out publicly is going to fix this any faster, its just going to get her a check in the mail faster. While damaging an airline that tends to be a bit better than others, when it comes to customer care.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Statman, I live in Juneau - one of the most drunk places on the planet. I've sat next to my fair share of drunk passengers, and some nearby. and even in an airplane.

This to me is a highly isolated incident and Alaska needs handle it, especially if it is non-rev. I don't think her lashing out publicly is going to fix this any faster, its just going to get her a check in the mail faster. While damaging an airline that tends to be a bit better than others, when it comes to customer care.

1. Why is there speculation this is a non-rev?
2. The female in question likely is not motivated to "get a check". She is a the sister of Mark Zuckerberg, and a retired Facebook executive herself.
3. The reason I posted this is the potential for a public relations crisis for Alaska. Their response is worthy of examination, I think.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:57 am

All indications are they are handling this appropriately - investigation happening, passenger temporarily banned from travel. Not surprising given the stature of the complainant (although of course we should expect they take all similar allegations this seriously).
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
All indications are they are handling this appropriately - investigation happening, passenger temporarily banned from travel. Not surprising given the stature of the complainant (although of course we should expect they take all similar allegations this seriously).
Yeah, the fact that this guy apparently is a regular at this sort of behavior says that this was long overdue.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by jinglish
Yep. Absolutely inexcusable behavior from the FAs here.
Yeah, the folks who we've sometimes been told are there primarily for our safety. Sheesh.

As a woman in F I'm wondering what I could do in a situation like hers if the FAs refused to take action more satisfactory than moving me to a much less desirable seat in the back of coach. I don't think I could just sit there and take it. For you gentlemen here, if a woman near you announced that the man next to her was harassing her and the FAs weren't willing to help would you be willing to trade seats with the woman assuming it was like for like? Or would you consider this boorish behavior on the woman's part? Should the woman ask to have the situation reported to the captain or is that likely to end up badly for the woman?

I'm just wondering what a woman can do in a similar situation.
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.