Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: AF/KLM partnership ending April 30th 2018!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
Ending April 30, 2018

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...e-partners/klm
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ers/air-france

Effective April 30, 2018 the partnership between KLM and Alaska Airlines will end. Our other global partners serve all of the top destinations members have earned miles to in the past with KLM, but we recognize that this change leaves a gap in coverage to some small European destinations. Europe continues to be a key focus area, served by partners including British Airways, Icelandair, Condor, and Finnair, and we’ll continue to evaluate additional partnerships to serve your needs both to and within Europe.
Effective April 30th, 2018, the partnership between Air France and Alaska Airlines will end. Our other global partners serve all of the top destinations members have earned miles to in the past with Air France, but we recognize that this change leaves a gap in coverage to some small European destinations. Europe continues to be a key focus area, served by partners including British Airways, Icelandair, Condor, and Finnair, and we'll continue to evaluate additional partnerships to serve your needs both to and within Europe.
Tickets booked through December 5th, 2017, will earn miles regardless of travel dates.
Tickets booked on or after December 6th, 2017 for travel through April 30, 2018 will earn miles.
Tickets booked on or after December 6th, 2017 for travel beginning May 1, 2018 will not earn miles.
Print Wikipost

Confirmed: AF/KLM partnership ending April 30th 2018!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Legend717
Nevermind the points that others have made about hurdles, here's one that Turkey can NEVER overcome:
Geography.
Turkey is PAST EUROPE.
At that point, you might as well fly SEA-FRA using Emirates!
But, most are here to collect miles! And, if that ticket for flying out of the way by 1000 miles is cheaper than one more direct (which is often the case with TK), then we might feel like we've won the lottery

In all seriousness, I'm simply suggesting that TK does well to fill a gap that now exists. BA (+ DE & AY) are still available for more 'direct' routing to Europe.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DrAlex
But, most are here to collect miles!
Some are here to collect miles, but a lot of folks who want to credit miles are not about to add a lot of travel time by inconvenient Europe routings. TK may be more useful for Africa/ME/Asia than Europe for US-based passengers (which wouldn't be bad because losing AF/KL reduced Africa coverage substantially).
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Some are here to collect miles, but a lot of folks who want to credit miles are not about to add a lot of travel time by inconvenient Europe routings. TK may be more useful for Africa/ME/Asia than Europe for US-based passengers (which wouldn't be bad because losing AF/KL reduced Africa coverage substantially).
I considered flying EK to Europe before, but that was at the old redemption value. Bit of a detour, but when in F
drewcwsj likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
I considered flying EK to Europe before, but that was at the old redemption value. Bit of a detour, but when in F
Yeah, but you're part of the "I'm an insane FTer who can't get enough of aluminum tubes, I voluntarily subject myself to them just to get the miles" contingent. Which I admit does exist here, but it's not enough to run an airline on (or I suspect to make a reasonable FF partnership on).
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
Originally Posted by felicidad76
Also if you even just transit through IST people are getting SSSS which can last for 3 months after you return and even global entry does not help. For no ow it looks like ty airlines would not be tu e best choice unfortunatelly
It cannot be over-emphasized how important this factor is.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by getoffthe grid
It cannot be over-emphasized how important this factor is.
I was not aware that was happening for those transiting IST since the shenanigans started - a major, major pain.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
I was reading different forums and it is a big problem for IST. You almost always will get SSSS. So I hope there are other options
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by SamuelS
No chance of an AS partnership with WS.

As you reference - with the WS JV with Delta on transborder which will role out progressively over next 18 months, this seems to be an exclusivity agreement with DL, to the point that all AA codeshares were also terminated same weekend.
Codeshares with Westjet and American weren't terminated but zeroed-out (no new seats sold). However, the partnership between WS and AA will come to an end for the most part on July 31 '18 per AA "July 31, 2018 is the last day to fly and earn miles on WestJet."

Looks like Delta (and Air France/KLM) don't play nice with in the big sandbox.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by felicidad76
I was reading different forums and it is a big problem for IST. You almost always will get SSSS. So I hope there are other options
That is NOT something I've read anywhere on FT. Could you be more specific? If it's over on TripAdvisor, I'd have my doubts about veracity. It also doesn't make any sense...absent some other more compelling considerations. Also, if you're going to cite alarmist reports like this, it is at least useful to provide a link or two for others to follow. I'm quite curious myself as I have IAH-IST on KL connecting via TK to TLV. I also have a fun return TLV-AMM--IST on RJ connecting back to IAH on KL again. I see a small potential for problems in the event of a misconnect (mitigated in part if I plunk down the $200 for a 90-day visa, which are supposedly being issued), but a future SSSS issue is not one of them. Thank you for the additional detail.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Done it. Twice. Insane, sure. But, ask me about having the entire F cabin on an A380 to myself, DXB-BCN
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I think USA-Turkey geopolitics make any AS partnership with TK problematic; we're talking about the national airline of a country where getting a visa for a US citizen is a pain in the posterior at the moment (unlike, well, most of Europe). It doesn't strike me as the most logical new European partner for AS: "Sorry, your onward flight to Rome's been cancelled, but since you don't have a visa for Turkey, you can't leave the airport, Ms. MVP Gold."
Point taken. And see my previous post. I am worrying about this...a little. Trip late March.

Take the Erdogan-Trump chest thumping out of the mix, however. How do you see the dynamic then? I've been surprised with the breadth of the TK European network.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
LY (El Al) has announced upcoming TLV-SFO service: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKBN1ES0IP

Appears that LY codeshares or partners with QF and AA among others, so perhaps a candidate for future AS linkup.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by lawchild
LY (El Al) has announced upcoming TLV-SFO service: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKBN1ES0IP

Appears that LY codeshares or partners with QF and AA among others, so perhaps a candidate for future AS linkup.
How would EK feel about that partnership regarding regional tensions?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
Originally Posted by safari ari
How would EK feel about that partnership regarding regional tensions?
Hard to say. However EK codeshares with SA, which is also an LY partner.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Just redeem my first and last redemption on KL J from YYZ-AMS 2 nights ago. There were alot of availability few weeks ago and drying up fast. I managed to select the last direct asiel seat (only 3), I booked the free segement on AF. Which is operated on HOP, so I don't know what to except from them.

Last edited by Jma12; Jan 12, 2018 at 5:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.