Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Very frustrated, Alaska stopped flying yo Cuba, now what ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I booked a direct fly LAX-HAV RT for my family, for a work related emergency i had to cancel our fly, now that i am out of the woods decided to book again and to my surprise Alaska will not fly to Cuba anymore after Jan 22, well here is my dilemma, i have over $1500 sitting in AS wallet plus a $250 voucher gave it to me because a problem i had when someone at AS deleted my old account without moved the money i had in my old wallet to my new wallet (had 3 different accounts with AS) plus the companion pass discount for my AS business credit card and there is no travel plans including AS, i fly Southwest all the time, i live in a SWA hub, here an example: from my city to Miami flying AS in December i have to go to SEA then ORD then MIA 13 hours fly and with SWA is a direct 4:45 hours fly, the only reason i booked AS was to take advantage of the non-stop fly to HAV.

My question is how can i take the money out of there?, i've called several times with no luck, the last time i was told to book a fly and use the $1500 lol, is there any way to get that money back without flying AS?.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by elegua
Hi guys,

I booked a direct fly LAX-HAV RT for my family, for a work related emergency i had to cancel our fly, now that i am out of the woods decided to book again and to my surprise Alaska will not fly to Cuba anymore after Jan 22, well here is my dilemma, i have over $1500 sitting in AS wallet plus a $250 voucher gave it to me because a problem i had when someone at AS deleted my old account without moved the money i had in my old wallet to my new wallet (had 3 different accounts with AS) plus the companion pass discount for my AS business credit card and there is no travel plans including AS, i fly Southwest all the time, i live in a SWA hub, here an example: from my city to Miami flying AS in December i have to go to SEA then ORD then MIA 13 hours fly and with SWA is a direct 4:45 hours fly, the only reason i booked AS was to take advantage of the non-stop fly to HAV.

My question is how can i take the money out of there?, i've called several times with no luck, the last time i was told to book a fly and use the $1500 lol, is there any way to get that money back without flying AS?.

Thanks in advance for your help.
None that I'm aware of, other than to explain the situation articulately to a supervisor or Customer Care, and hope for an exception. As an infrequent customer with no status, it's not likely, but worth a try.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by elegua
Hi guys,

They already have your money. You can use it to fly with them or loose it. AFAIK, those are your only two options.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
AS serves FLL out of SFO, LAX and SEA.

AS is not a huge carrier, so it takes some flexibility to make them work sometimes.

If it's wallet funds, you can also book for a friend or relative if you don't have any plans.

btw, Southwest does not fly to MIA, IIRC.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Are VX flights potentially useful to you? If so, you can use My Wallet funds for VX-operated flights, I believe. Hard to know since you don't say where you're based or what your travel patterns are, but AS/VX do have DAL-LGA and DCA flights which might be useful.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I'd definitely call and ask for a supervisor, and make sure you have your original ticket numbers. I don't see why Alaska won't override things and apply credit to a partner airline, like American, who has multiple daily flights to Cuba.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
In all honesty, I am surprised that the AS flight to HAV lasted as long as it did...I think most people saw the writing on the wall with this one. AS is not the only US airline to scale back the recent addition of flights between the US and Cuba so it won't be as easy to find flights as it had been regardless of which airline you fly.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:17 pm
vgc

I wouldn't hold my breath on Alaska giving you money out of the wallet. Are there really no flights you can take from where you are?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
And it doesn't need to be used at once.

Is there any way you can go to HAV by January 22nd?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other thing to make sure is that you and your family can even go to Cuba on a new booking. Bookings which were made before the policy changed a couple months ago were "grandfrathered" in, but any new booking has to conform to the much tougher policy that's now in place (for example, many cases of individual travel -- ie, not in groups -- are no longer allowed). You need to look into the new policy and figure out how it applies to you and your family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.