Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

First Horizon E175 flight... doesn't feel much like Horizon

Old Nov 19, 17, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG75k, NEXUS

Maybe I've been on too many Q400's over the years but I was really surprised by some things on my first E175 flight SEA-BZN over the weekend.

First off, no Ala Cart. Small thing, but when you board a flight at the C2, C10, C16 gates at SEA, it's kind of standard to get to put your bag on a cart. Overhee ad space in the 175 is better, but still not enough.

I received a late upgrade to F, which I really enjoyed. Comfortable seats! But we got no meal service which left me confused. F pax got a Biscoff cookie, yet PC pax still got a snack box. Some colleagues who traveled the day before said they did get a meal on their flight in F, so maybe we were a one-off? Or I missed an announcement of some kind? Still seemed odd.

Finally, near the end of the flight, a FA got on the intercom to announce that they had heard lots of complaints from coach passengers about not getting complimentary beer or wine. "Complimentary beer and wine is only available on planes with propellers" was the quote from the FA. Really? I'm pretty sure I've gotten beer on CRJ-700's right? Or was that a long time ago and not current?

Anyway, it was a pleasant, fast flight, but I think Alaska/Horizon has some educating to do if they aren't going to continue their legendary great service.
Old Nov 19, 17, 9:19 pm

Hi -

Yes. Perhaps better for the FA to say "Complimentary beer and wine only is available in Premium Class on flight so configured".
Old Nov 19, 17, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by brownnet View Post
Finally, near the end of the flight, a FA got on the intercom to announce that they had heard lots of complaints from coach passengers about not getting complimentary beer or wine. "Complimentary beer and wine is only available on planes with propellers" was the quote from the FA. Really? I'm pretty sure I've gotten beer on CRJ-700's right? Or was that a long time ago and not current?
Well, Horizon doesn't operate any CRJ-700s anymore (and hasn't for years), so as far as Horizon flight attendants are concerned, what the FA said is true. Of course, the vast majority of customers don't know the difference between Alaska operated by Horizon and Alaska operated by Skywest and wouldn't care if they did know. But Horizon flight attendants do very much care about the difference between Horizon and Skywest.

Originally Posted by Orwaid View Post
Yes. Perhaps better for the FA to say "Complimentary beer and wine only is available in Premium Class on flight so configured".
Or "Complimentary beer and wine is only available in coach on flights without First Class; otherwise, Alaska would find it difficult to entice you to pay more for better seats." Perhaps a bit too honest?
Old Nov 20, 17, 12:44 am

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Maybe I've been on too many Q400's over the years but I was really surprised by some things on my first E175 flight SEA-BZN over the weekend.

First off, no Ala Cart. Small thing, but when you board a flight at the C2, C10, C16 gates at SEA, it's kind of standard to get to put your bag on a cart. Overhee ad space in the 175 is better, but still not enough.

I received a late upgrade to F, which I really enjoyed. Comfortable seats! But we got no meal service which left me confused. F pax got a Biscoff cookie, yet PC pax still got a snack box. Some colleagues who traveled the day before said they did get a meal on their flight in F, so maybe we were a one-off? Or I missed an announcement of some kind? Still seemed odd.

Anyway, it was a pleasant, fast flight, but I think Alaska/Horizon has some educating to do if they aren't going to continue their legendary great service.
Kinda sad sad that premium class passengers get more snacks thank those in F....lol.
Old Nov 20, 17, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat, and a bunch of other stuff I guess
It's not whether the statement about propeller planes is correct; it's whether it makes any sense at all (it doesn't... unless the beer and wine are meant to be an apology of sorts for the otherwise abysmal hard product on the Q400).

I was upgraded to F on a Skywest-operated E175 a while back, on SEA-SMF (only a tiny bit longer than SEA-BZN) and they managed a free drink before departure and a full meal service inflight.

Maybe they should start printing a flow chart on the seat back cards so you can figure out who gets a meal, who gets cookies, who gets a snack box, who gets free booze, and who gets to sit down and shut up.
brownnet likes this.
Old Nov 20, 17, 4:24 pm

Personally I am going to miss the Q400ís. Itís really the only plane that I will take if I have to fly economy, especially non-exit row economy. I like the cart and I like that the seats donít recline.

I am a tall guy and PDX - Billings is a regular trip for me. The Q400 suits me fine.
Old Nov 20, 17, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by rowsign View Post
Personally I am going to miss the Q400ís. .
Really? Do you miss butter churning too? Louder, slower, winter outside waits for the a la carte, no WiFi, no running water. Perhaps you can arrange for some PDX - OAK travel. You can still enjoy the Q400 on that route despite E175s being assigned to such booming metropolises as San Luis Obispo and Fresno. The PDX - OAK flight will be two full hours of Q400 joy.
Old Nov 20, 17, 5:40 pm

Alaska webpage says that "On Horizon Air, we offer you a free drink, either a beer or wine; complimentary beer and wine service is not available on Skywest E-175 aircraft."
So Horizon E-175 should have the free drinks.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...food-and-drink
Old Nov 20, 17, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by bofc View Post
Really? Do you miss butter churning too? Louder, slower, winter outside waits for the a la carte, no WiFi, no running water. Perhaps you can arrange for some PDX - OAK travel. You can still enjoy the Q400 on that route despite E175s being assigned to such booming metropolises as San Luis Obispo and Fresno. The PDX - OAK flight will be two full hours of Q400 joy.
In good weather I fly my own twin over but itís even lower,slower and actually more expensive. On Horizon I can relax and have a beer on the Q400. I find staying on the plane for awhile solves the ďwaitingĒ issue on a la carte. I like that the small bins limit the carry on madness and, as previously noted, I really appreciate that the seat donít recline.

Dont get me wrong - The E-175ís are fine. I buy a seat up front on the one seat side and I am a happy camper. I just donít mind the Q400ís as much as some do, and can even tolerate coach for the reasons noted above.
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Mehdron View Post
Alaska webpage says that "On Horizon Air, we offer you a free drink, either a beer or wine; complimentary beer and wine service is not available on Skywest E-175 aircraft."

And what is the reason for distinguishing between an E-175 operated by Horizon for Alaska and one operated by a different subcontractor, Skywest?

Seems bizarre to me. It is Alaska that decides what the service standard is, right?
Old Nov 21, 17, 6:39 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA

I would bet they just forgot to update the website when Horizon started operating E175s. But still, good catch; that wording is quite clear that Horizon E175s should have the free drinks.
Old Nov 21, 17, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG75k, NEXUS
This is a great catch!!

Old Nov 21, 17, 1:58 pm

Skywest CRJ's do have free wine/beer- can confirm on my PDX to SEA flight.
Old Nov 21, 17, 6:29 pm

Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
And what is the reason for distinguishing between an E-175 operated by Horizon for Alaska and one operated by a different subcontractor, Skywest?

Seems bizarre to me. It is Alaska that decides what the service standard is, right?
the one NOT staffed by Horizon has a crew :P
Old Nov 23, 17, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
SEA GA tonight was offering preboarding as an incentive for gate checking bags on a BOI E175 flight.