Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you pre-purchase WiFi on AS flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Can you pre-purchase WiFi on AS flight?

I've got a flight next week and was wanting to use WiFi on it. It's a Virgin America flight, BUT, I think it's now "considered" an Alaska flight since I added the flight to my Alaska profile and it shows up as a purchased trip under "MyTrips" on the Alaska page. It also shows up on my Virgin America account but the trip extra's is grayed out on that page and when I click on print receipt/view itinerary it says I must be on the other airlines page to print details on this flight.

I've looked around my Alaska page and I see no area for trip extra's or purchasing WiFi. I mainly wanted to so I wouldn't have to fight with it on the flight and in case it was cheaper in doing so ahead of time...
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
Yes you can and it is cheaper.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ment/wifi.aspx

Also, if you have T-Mobile you get a hour for free on each flight.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Idaho Territory

Is this true on VX metal too? OP stated bought on AS and is on an AS ticket but it is VX metal. For crediting to FF account VX is like AS and we get some bennies but for everything else VX is just like a partner airline. The page you link to only mentions AS metal flights, nothing about VX.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
https://www.gogoair.com/list-all-products

Virgin America uses Gogo internet.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Note the one hour pass. Works for both VX and AS.

https://content.gogoair.com/participating-airlines/
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:19 pm

Even though its cheaper, I don't think you should buy it beforehand.

You never know what might happen - you might miss the flight, the flight could be delayed, the wifi on the flight might not be working at all or way too slow, you might not need to use wifi between now and next week (all your wifi-related work is done, you're fired rendering work irrelevant etc etc).

Maybe just create a gogo account and have your credit card info saved in that account, so you can buy it faster, but don't actually buy it till you're on the plane.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

I always forget that these can also be managed through a GoGo account and just getting passes from them... interesting to note that they're more expensive ($19/day vs $16/day from that Alaska page...) though...

Anyone know how much the going rate is on a SEA to LAX flight on Virgin America if I buy in flight?

This will just be to kill time and not for work... or at least I don't anticipate it being for work.... Do they still have reduced prices for mobile access? (I would just be using an iPhone)
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:40 pm

Not all VX flights use Gogo, I took SFO-MSY last week and it's viasat on that flight

Virgin America uses Gogo internet.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by acarney
This will just be to kill time and not for work... or at least I don't anticipate it being for work.... Do they still have reduced prices for mobile access? (I would just be using an iPhone)
No, the cheaper smartphone pass went away. Free chat of course.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:41 pm

deleted
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Even though its cheaper, I don't think you should buy it beforehand.

You never know what might happen - you might miss the flight, the flight could be delayed, the wifi on the flight might not be working at all or way too slow, you might not need to use wifi between now and next week (all your wifi-related work is done, you're fired rendering work irrelevant etc etc).

Maybe just create a gogo account and have your credit card info saved in that account, so you can buy it faster, but don't actually buy it till you're on the plane.
In my experience, purchased passes, at least those bought directly via Gogo, are good for a year.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
In my experience, purchased passes, at least those bought directly via Gogo, are good for a year.
The all day passes are, but the one hour ones expire in 30 days.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

and if your spousal unit has a plan with unlimited gogo - you can just type in their number and have it for the whole flight.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
No, the cheaper smartphone pass went away. Free chat of course.
At least as of a few months ago you could still buy the smartphone pass with some old links on the gogo site, though they might have finally fixed that.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by lalala
and if your spousal unit has a plan with unlimited gogo - you can just type in their number and have it for the whole flight.
Note that if you have unlimited access via T-Mobile, you can only use one MAC address with this trick within a 24 hour period. One of my co-workers used mine without asking and it was a bit frustrating to not have it work the next day. $60/year unlimited gogo on T-Mobile is an amazing deal, so I think it's worth just paying for it.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.