Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

More Horizon route cuts: The juggling continues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More Horizon route cuts: The juggling continues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by beckoa
So what comes first, PSC-PDX resuming, or the flagship rooftop AL opening in N?
Neither. Armageddon.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:19 am

[QUOTE=sfozrhfco;29182472]
Originally Posted by acarney
I just look forward to when PSC to PDX comes back
/QUOTE]

Keep your fingers crossed. 2019 is not that far off
What?! I was hoping by like April or May! T^T

Hey Delta... wanna fly PSC to PDX? ^_^
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by acarney
Hey Delta... wanna fly PSC to PDX? ^_^
Via SEA?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Via SEA?
Hopefully direct :P

Delta already offers PSC to SEA (that expansion happened when they started moving into SEA hardcore to compete with Alaska) and I’m sure there are loads of SEA-PDX Delta flights. I can get to PDX via Alaska and SEA but it pushes the price to like $250+ round trip and of course takes much longer.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:36 pm

Schedule tweaks to the post-March 10 Q400 schedule on PDX-SMF/OAK. Hopefully doesn't mean anything and it'll change before we get there, but now it's looking like most probable outcome is back to Q400 for spring and summer after 3+ months of 737s
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Schedule tweaks to the post-March 10 Q400 schedule on PDX-SMF/OAK. Hopefully doesn't mean anything and it'll change before we get there, but now it's looking like most probable outcome is back to Q400 for spring and summer after 3+ months of 737s
i might be okay with that if frequency goes back up
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier

i might be okay with that if frequency goes back up
If I flew those midday flights I might feel differently, but 95% of my travel on this route is morning or evening so I'll happily take the double daily 737s. For when I want to fly during the day WN is easy enough with multiple options.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
SFO lounge
tgrazini likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
SQ and AY awards.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA,AS,DL,MHC,IHG,Parrot Head
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
These cuts were sold as a temporary measure. Temporary cuts which were going to be a few weeks, then months, are now extended to years with lots of new hires needed just to keep the now reduced schedule. QX management themselves said that they are losing 30% of their pilots each year so is the plan to keep cutting the schedule if they can't hire and train new pilots fast enough? Yes, I suppose it is better to face reality and only operate a reduced schedule but this was not how it was sold when this mess started. As the bar for achieving success keeps getting lower and lower, it does make it easier to achieve.
And the reality of a permanently reduced schedule will have long term effect. As Delta enters the majority of Horizon served markets, they are better positioned to offer more convenient options to those of us in the hinterlands who are now relegated to flying when AAG dictates rather than what we need. The convenience factor cannot be overlooked. Lets take two scenarios: First: Look at markets that compete with automobiles(EAT,YKM,PDX etc) Will it be more convenient to now drive to SEA to make a connection? Many do it now. Will these drivers increase ?Second, look at YVR,YLW,YEG and YYC. Delta has 3 out of those 4. and has signed a new expanded partnership with Westjet. This gives those Canadian customers a loyalty program that covers all of Canada, plus all Delta destinations . When the program takes full effect in one year, you'll likely see AS/QX fade from those markets as Delta and Westjet offer tons of Eastbound departures from those cities without the need to detour through SEA. Combine that with WJ expanded ns frequency to California destinations, and AS might be ceding those markets to Delta/WJ. AAG seems to not care as their strategy seems centered on the Virgin "opportunity" with less regard for current destination that feed traffic. Time will tell if this is a viable strategy.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tsillanman
And the reality of a permanently reduced schedule will have long term effect. AAG seems to not care as their strategy seems centered on the Virgin "opportunity" with less regard for current destination that feed traffic. Time will tell if this is a viable strategy.
I think this is the key. They were blinded by Golden California and may well end up losing the grip they had in the PNW where they were the unquestioned leader. The DL linkup with WestJet will hurt along with the loss of other partnerships and claiming success when they can barely operate a reduced schedule is just being in denial. Now they are even cutting mainline and new ads from California in the summer. BOS-SFO is reduced to 3 flights a day which is the weakest schedule out there. Denver is down to 2 flights a day in summer. MSP is down to 1. They need to bulk up SEA transcons to fight Mint as well. They are really getting bombarded from all sides. Can't wait to hear their update on the next earnings call to see if they have started to think through a strategy and are able to clearly articulate it.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:19 pm

I already have moved my flying from PSC to SEA to Delta (not that I fly a lot, but casual trips have been Delta lately). If I want to open the wallet a little more I can get F on this route, seems kinda stupid but it's nice having that single seat row, getting on/off first if I've got a tight connection, free bag if I'm heading over there for the night and want a bag but don't have status, etc. Probably will only move back to Alaska if the times are a absolute issue with Delta OR if it's easier to check my bag all the way to final destination. But with Alaska killing the Virgin F seats it's kinda a toss up on Delta or Alaska F down to LAX area so.....

If Delta was able to get a PSC to PDX flight up and running before Alaska comes back, well I probably would book them for my PDX trips... again as long as the hours were good (early departure before 9am and late return after like 8pm).

Delta/SkyWest could come in and snatch a lot from Alaska in PSC. Hell, if Delta opened up the PDX AND a direct LAX route they would kill here at PSC...
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Totally a bummer on the that route. Obviously it has legs or UA wouldn't have picked it up so quickly. QX will most likely not start it up for quite a few years now.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA,AS,DL,MHC,IHG,Parrot Head
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
I think this is the key. They were blinded by Golden California and may well end up losing the grip they had in the PNW where they were the unquestioned leader. The DL linkup with WestJet will hurt along with the loss of other partnerships and claiming success when they can barely operate a reduced schedule is just being in denial. Now they are even cutting mainline and new ads from California in the summer. BOS-SFO is reduced to 3 flights a day which is the weakest schedule out there. Denver is down to 2 flights a day in summer. MSP is down to 1. They need to bulk up SEA transcons to fight Mint as well. They are really getting bombarded from all sides. Can't wait to hear their update on the next earnings call to see if they have started to think through a strategy and are able to clearly articulate it.
Yea, AAG will be on the hot seat(or should be) from the analysts. Consider: Canada's population and market potential is equal to California. Canada has 5 major international gateways. WJ and Delta serve all 5 WJ has announced a doubling of their fleet to 180 aircraft by 2020. This includes 20 new B-787's for service to Asia and Europe from their 4 Canadian hubs(YVR,YYC,YEG,YYZ,). Delta will have the option of routing traffic through them as well, instead of their increasing overcrowded U S gateways. Lets not forget, that WJ CEO Greg Saretsky was EVP at AAG before his departure for WJ. He has intimate knowledge of his competitor. Saretsky's move with Delta is not been noticed in the U S yet, but 3-5 years from now it'll be a major positive for Delta and a major negative for AAG.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by tsillanman
...Second, look at YVR,YLW,YEG and YYC. Delta has 3 out of those 4. and has signed a new expanded partnership with Westjet. This gives those Canadian customers a loyalty program that covers all of Canada, plus all Delta destinations . When the program takes full effect in one year, you'll likely see AS/QX fade from those markets as Delta and Westjet offer tons of Eastbound departures from those cities without the need to detour through SEA. Combine that with WJ expanded ns frequency to California destinations, and AS might be ceding those markets to Delta/WJ. AAG seems to not care as their strategy seems centered on the Virgin "opportunity" with less regard for current destination that feed traffic. Time will tell if this is a viable strategy.
I have a few itineraries on QX for next year that have already had major sked changes as AS has cancelled the QX morning flight outta YYC, thus killing most of the same day connections to east coast.

​​​​​​From 4xdaily to just 2xdaily and not even a morning flight anymore and tons of connections now no longer possible (without a forced overnight in SEA at least) and DL is a far more attractive option out of YYC.
​​​​​​
The new JV with WS and DL will be interesting for sure. But certainly AS has gone from being a major player in Western Canada to a much more diminished position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.