Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page > Flights to Havana, Cuba (HAV) terminated: Last flight 1/22/18

Flights to Havana, Cuba (HAV) terminated: Last flight 1/22/18

Old Nov 14, 17, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Pure AS MVP Gold75K, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Exclamation Flights to Havana, Cuba (HAV) terminated: Last flight 1/22/18

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
News Release Issued: Nov 14, 2017 (3:08pm PST)

To view this release online and get more information about Alaska Airlines Newsroom visit: http://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2017-1...to-Havana-Cuba

Alaska Airlines will discontinue flying to Havana, Cuba

Aircraft and crew will be re-deployed to markets with higher demand

Photos(1)

SEATTLE, Nov. 14, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Alaska Airlines announced today that it will end a daily flight between Los Angeles and Havana, Cuba. The last flight is planned for Jan. 22. The airline will redeploy aircraft used to serve Havana to markets with higher demand.

"Travel is about making connections, and we were honored to have played a role in helping people make personal connections by traveling between the U.S. and Cuba," said Andrew Harrison, chief commercial officer for Alaska Airlines. "We continually evaluate every route we fly to ensure we have the right number of seats to match the number of people who want to go there."

About 80 percent of Alaska's flyers to Havana visited under a U.S. allowance for individual "people-to-people" educational travel. Changes to U.S. policy last week eliminated that allowance. Given the changes in Cuba travel policies, the airline will redeploy these resources to other markets the airline serves where demand continues to be strong.

Alaska started the Los Angeles-Havana flight on Jan. 5, 2017.

Alaska has launched 44 routes this year, which continue to develop according to forecasts. The company anticipates it will grow about 7.2 percent this year. As the airline looks ahead to 2018, its planning for nearly 8 percent network growth by adding capacity in primarily existing markets. Redeploying aircraft and crews will help the airline support the growth.

Alaska guests who have travel booked to Havana after Jan. 22 will be rebooked on another airline at no additional cost or offered a full refund.

Sad to see, but not surprised. Glad I got to go.
Old Nov 14, 17, 5:27 pm

Still for sale after Jan 22. You'd think they'd close sales before announcing the end.
Old Nov 14, 17, 6:22 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by ucdtim17 View Post
Still for sale after Jan 22. You'd think they'd close sales before announcing the end.
It is gone now.
Old Nov 14, 17, 6:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP75K, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
Wow! That's too bad. We just flew Alaska Airlines to Havana last week. The fights were only half-full, so probably not very profitable. I've been flying with them for over a decade and have *never* seen empty seats in First Class. But, there were five empty seats on the way down and one empty seat on the way back.

At this point, I am just *very* thankful that my wife and I got to take our trip.
flyupfrnt likes this.
Old Nov 14, 17, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVPG, VA
Every analysis I saw from the beginning said that it was very unlikely that there was a market for a daily LAX-HAV service (which is why AA put in for a weekly LAX-HAV service, which they argued was more in line with the probable demand). So particularly given the changes in restrictions on Americans (and non-Americans flying from the US) traveling to Cuba to make it even worse, no surprise at all.
flyupfrnt likes this.
Old Nov 14, 17, 11:11 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska MVP, AAdvantage, Etihad Guest, SPG Plat 75
That's too bad. It was an odd ball route that, as a Canadian, I had hoped to fly one day.
Old Nov 14, 17, 11:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors - Hertz
Originally Posted by rcarovano View Post
Wow! That's too bad. We just flew Alaska Airlines to Havana last week. The fights were only half-full, so probably not very profitable. I've been flying with them for over a decade and have *never* seen empty seats in First Class. But, there were five empty seats on the way down and one empty seat on the way back.

At this point, I am just *very* thankful that my wife and I got to take our trip.
Both my observations and feelings a nearly identical despite having taken this trip on AS in August.

Originally Posted by ashill View Post
particularly given the changes in restrictions on Americans (and non-Americans flying from the US) traveling to Cuba to make it even worse, no surprise at all.
Agreed. Unfortunate too as it was an extremely neat place to visit.

I might mileage run the final flight
flatdawgs likes this.

Last edited by flyupfrnt; Nov 14, 17 at 11:40 pm
Old Nov 15, 17, 12:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gld
Too bad the DOT won't allow Alaska to provide more limited service, IE 3 days a week or whatnot. That would probably fare better.

however, LAX/HAV is quite the long legs for Alaska, and I'd assume the yields just weren't there.
Old Nov 15, 17, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec View Post
Too bad the DOT won't allow Alaska to provide more limited service, IE 3 days a week or whatnot. That would probably fare better.

however, LAX/HAV is quite the long legs for Alaska, and I'd assume the yields just weren't there.

Fares, while not particularly expensive, are by no means cheap either. I think the light load factors (& worsening) did this route in.
Old Nov 15, 17, 6:00 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I guess the appeal of Cuba turned out to be more the forbidden-ness of it than the actual current intrinsic enjoyability of the place. Which, after some initial burst of interest, doesn't sustain 3-4 airlines daily service there, unfortunately.
Old Nov 15, 17, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Its good that US flights are being reduced, at least now the artificially high roach infested hotel prices will come down to earth as they used to be.
Old Nov 15, 17, 8:28 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
Its good that US flights are being reduced, at least now the artificially high roach infested hotel prices will come down to earth as they used to be.
For those still interested in checking out Havana - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - avoid hotels, stay in a Casa Particular - private rentals of individual rooms, apartments and homes. We stayed in a 9th floor apartment, king sized bed, private bath with daily breakfast overlooking the Malecon for less than $100 per night.
By doing so, you support private enterprise, rather than their Government, latter owns most of the hotels.
Old Nov 15, 17, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by diver858 View Post
For those still interested in checking out Havana - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - avoid hotels, stay in a Casa Particular - private rentals of individual rooms, apartments and homes. We stayed in a 9th floor apartment, king sized bed, private bath with daily breakfast overlooking the Malecon for less than $100 per night.
By doing so, you support private enterprise, rather than their Government, latter owns most of the hotels.
+1 - Great advice. We stayed in a casa particular too although in the Vedado neighborhood
Old Nov 15, 17, 8:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gld
LAX-HAV was just too much capacity for Cuba. I don't even think the Dominican Republic, with all of its swanky awesome all-inclusives, ever had nonstop service to LA.

Here's a quote from a USA Today article from March (before 45 changed the Cuba policy)

Frontier pointed to specifically to seat capacity between Florida and Cuba, saying that made it difficult for its own Miami-Havana route to perform well. Seven airlines alone are flying to Cuba just from South Florida's two biggest airports: Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Southwest and JetBlue are also flying to Cuba from other cities in Florida.

As for Silver, it too pointed to a glut of new Cuba service in deciding to exit the market.

“While the actual total number of passengers currently traveling to and from Cuba on all carriers combined is in line with what Silver originally projected, other airlines continue to serve this market with too many flights and oversized aircraft, which has led to an increase in capacity of approximately 300% between the U.S. and Cuba,” Silver spokeswoman Misty Pinson said in a statement to Today in the Sky.

http://https://www.usatoday.com/stor...vice/99131906/

Search this Thread