Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

No more snack box in premium class? Snack box only for F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Flew BUR-PDX last night in PC, and there were no snack boxes. The FA indicated that on "snack" flights, F gets snack boxes and there are no snack boxes for PC. Sure enough, the F passengers had snack boxes instead of what F used to get, which was sort of a light meal.

The AS website seems to have expunged all mention of a snack box, so I wonder if this is a new change. I also wonder what this means for F on these 2 hour or so flights...
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:09 am
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Interesting,

I flew SEA to ABQ in first Wednesday and the "snack" was a light meal. Then ABQ to PDX last night in premium and received a snack box.

I could see them doing this change, or perhaps a flight attendant not knowing what they're doing. Definitely wouldn't be the first time.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Interesting, and disturbing.

They have "almost" expunged snack box from the PC description - up the top they still say "do you enjoy a tasty snack", but I see that it is gone from the list of amenities for PC.

Really, really not fair to those who PAID for PC when the snack box was still included. Have they lowered the upcharge for PC?

So they are seriously giving that crappy snack box (which we fell for once and never booked PC again) for F passengers? Really, really disturbing.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AS
We purchased a PC seat for our daughter flying in from LAX. When she arrived (SEA,) she said drink was offered but no snack box. Considering the cost of the PC seat, really bad move by AS. (Not that the snack box was that great).
Sad,to see AS getting really cheap with onboard amenities.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I hope this isn't true. I enjoyed the snack box and it could not possibly cost AS more than $1.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
I don't understand this one at all. That box was cheap and it was a nice, small perk for setting in PC. Just got one earlier this week from SJC-SEA.

I mean, unless no one is paying for PC and it's just elites taking up seats in Y, why not just raise the price of PC by a buck or two?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by sullim4
I don't understand this one at all. That box was cheap and it was a nice, small perk for setting in PC. Just got one earlier this week from SJC-SEA.

I mean, unless no one is paying for PC and it's just elites taking up seats in Y, why not just raise the price of PC by a buck or two?
How would raising the price make people want to sit there more?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
How would raising the price make people want to sit there more?
he means raise it a buck or two to offset the snackbox costs so they can keep it
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Received the snack box on my DEN-SEA flight last night, F was listed as "snack" but obviously got a meal, maybe just a mistake on The FAs part or wasn't catered?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Adding a data point from SEA>SFO on 10/6 and SFO>SEA on 10/10. PC received snack boxes and FC received plated snack. Agree with others it would be silly of them to discontinue the snack boxes, though I don't see the snack box as a real perk (the free drinks, if the cart makes it through more than once are nice though). I'd much rather see them offer a free food item (Fruit/Cheese, Snack Boxes for Sale, Hot Meal item if available) in addition to the drinks to make this feel like I'm getting more value out of the "upgrade" for MVPG or upsell to the seats for non elites.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
... I'd much rather see them offer a free food item (Fruit/Cheese, Snack Boxes for Sale, Hot Meal item if available) in addition to the drinks to make this feel like I'm getting more value out of the "upgrade" for MVPG or upsell to the seats for non elites.
Would love if they used VX's model for MCS, then again the airline wasn't making money, but one can still hope. I will say the FA's were great on my flight where they came by and asked if I wanted 3rd/4th round without the cart, so it was nice to see that it wasn't just dependent on the cart service.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Had two PC flights this week - SEA->IAH and SFO->SEA - and got snack boxes on both.

I really like the salted almonds. Those things are $.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by safari ari
Would love if they used VX's model for MCS, then again the airline wasn't making money, but one can still hope. I will say the FA's were great on my flight where they came by and asked if I wanted 3rd/4th round without the cart, so it was nice to see that it wasn't just dependent on the cart service.
Well, the VX MCS crowd are going to be very disappointed in the AS "premium" Y product, to the point of "why bother" (as in why prefer AS over AA, DL and UA) as all will provide a more legroom seat. There was no comparable product in the USA (and there never was) and I'm sorry to see it go.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Just as an FYI, the Premium amenities listing in the inflight magazine has no mention of a snack (box). For that to be the New short-haul F "meal" would be truly shocking.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:39 pm

if they offer me a snack box in first, i'll be on CNN the next day!
Dynope and be_rettSEA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.