Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Denied mile credit from AA codeshare BA operated flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Denied mile credit from AA codeshare BA operated flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you upgrade, most FF programs give miles based on the underlying fare class that was purchased.
Agreed. Last year I flew SEA-LHR and upgraded to PE. The boarding pass showed fare class W but when I submitted to AS they said it's actually class T and only earned 100% EQM.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by milypan
According to the post, BA was the operating carrier, the fare code was P, and P does not earn on the BA chart. How is that irrelevant? Maybe I'm not parsing "based on the operating partner's earning charts in their with their underlying fare bucket" correctly. Is your point that there's a hidden fare bucket that BA is using that the traveler can't see but that AS has access to?
I think the corresponding fare class on BA for AA's fare class P is T. So P here is irrelevant since only the OPERATING AIRLINE fare class matters, which should be T.
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
So my friend was just denied on a AA-marketed BA-operated "P" fare for Premium Economy.

Since "P" is an AA code which does not exist on BA, the credit was denied by Alaska. What can my friend do? This was a paid cash fare for PE, seems unfair that it would get 0 when both carriers are AS partners.
The official policy is that you earn nothing. But if you email them and say the fare class is T(BA's code) instead of P, you probably could get the mile. I think AS's system could find the flight but they have to submit it to BA. Normally, it's better to find a BA document that indicating the fare class, but I'm not sure if your friend can find such document post-flight.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:12 am

This is something that I've been wondering - can't Alaska see the 'real' fare class code when they plug it into their system? I've sent in boarding passes before without a receipt, so clearly there is no fare class that can be deduced from the boardingpass, so it must be in the system. If so I can imagine that what Alaska is seeing is AA "P" = BA "P". I've told my friend to contact BA but BA customer service is notoriously inept about anything.
I think they can. They rejected my "W" fare code request(which is indicated on my BP, and W earns 150% EQM) and said what they saw in the system is a T fare(100% EQM). But I think they have to submit to BA to see the correct code. If they submit to AA, they probably see nothing since it's not AA-operated.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
So my friend was just denied on a AA-marketed BA-operated "P" fare for Premium Economy.

Since "P" is an AA code which does not exist on BA, the credit was denied by Alaska. What can my friend do? This was a paid cash fare for PE, seems unfair that it would get 0 when both carriers are AS partners.
To follow up, denial denial denial. Friend forced to credit to AA. Alaska refused to see it as anything other than a BA P fare, and BA/AA (as in all OW airlines) operate solely by marketing carrier, so saw P as well. Hopefully others can avoid this silliness with codeshares in the future.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is beyond stupid. The fare classes correspond to the marketing airline, but they credit according to whatever fare class on the operating airline happens to have the same letter?

If so, someone who enjoys dreaming up ways to beat the system (like me) might suggest flying on an AY marketed, BA operated flight booked into R. (LHR-EDI-HEL anyone?)
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
BA/AA (as in all OW airlines) operate solely by marketing carrier, so saw P as well.
Not sure that is true. As I mentioned earlier, I have an AY-marketed, BA-operated flight next month that codes as I for AY but R for BA. It doesn’t matter to me because I and R earn equally on BA, but the fare codes are different even though they’re both OW.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This is beyond stupid. The fare classes correspond to the marketing airline, but they credit according to whatever fare class on the operating airline happens to have the same letter?

If so, someone who enjoys dreaming up ways to beat the system (like me) might suggest flying on an AY marketed, BA operated flight booked into R. (LHR-EDI-HEL anyone?)
That'll work until AS starts auditing why their miles credited doesn't equal miles received from the partner. Knowing their response to such difficulties isn't fix it right for the customer, er guest (see JL PY or lap infants on partner awards), the likely result would be a strict interpretation of the written policy.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

Not sure that is true. As I mentioned earlier, I have an AY-marketed, BA-operated flight next month that codes as I for AY but R for BA. It doesn’t matter to me because I and R earn equally on BA, but the fare codes are different even though they’re both OW.
So AY flight numbers operated by BA? Personally, I stay away from Codeshares. Alaska could revert back to "official" written policy at any time. I want to know my miles will credit. I have had itineraries where the marketing partner was selling other partner's native flights, not codeshares, and issuing them on their own ticket stock. In those cases all the flights have posted automatically without issue.
Native flight numbers on KE, EK, BA, QF, CX, JL, SQ and AY are possibilities on LA stock.

James in Phoenix
channa likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
So AY flight numbers operated by BA? Personally, I stay away from Codeshares. Alaska could revert back to "official" written policy at any time. I want to know my miles will credit. I have had itineraries where the marketing partner was selling other partner's native flights, not codeshares, and issuing them on their own ticket stock. In those cases all the flights have posted automatically without issue.
Native flight numbers on KE, EK, BA, QF, CX, JL, SQ and AY are possibilities on LA stock.
Update on my AY-marketed, BA-operated flights. The good news is they all automatically credited, with no intervention on my part. The bad news is that, in automatically crediting, they applied the AY chart, which cost me a few thousand EQM (relative to the BA chart). I sent an email two weeks ago, with boarding passes and receipts, asking whether I could get credit on the BA chart since they're BA flights. I'm not expecting to get it, but they haven't even bothered to respond to the email and deny me, which is pretty lame.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:01 pm

Update on my AY-marketed, BA-operated flights. The good news is they all automatically credited, with no intervention on my part. The bad news is that, in automatically crediting, they applied the AY chart, which cost me a few thousand EQM (relative to the BA chart). I sent an email two weeks ago, with boarding passes and receipts, asking whether I could get credit on the BA chart since they're BA flights. I'm not expecting to get it, but they haven't even bothered to respond to the email and deny me, which is pretty lame.
I am not aware of codeshare flight numbers posting automatically. Native AY flights in the range of 1-2000 are eligible for accural on AS. Unless this is something new, codeshare flights require a manual request with supporting documents and accrue based on the operating carrier's chart, if granted.

EDIT: It is possible that AY codeshare flights with BA fall within the eligible 1-2000 flight number range to credit to AS. In that case, I anticipate the AY charts would prevail even though the flight is operated by BA.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; May 17, 2019 at 11:09 pm
Old May 17, 2019, 11:29 pm

EDIT: It is possible that AY codeshare flights with BA fall within the eligible 1-2000 flight number range to credit to AS. In that case, I anticipate the AY charts would prevail even though the flight is operated by BA.
Nope, the AY flight numbers for the codeshares were in the 5000s. All three posted automatically. Unexpected.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:33 pm

Nope, the AY flight numbers for the codeshares were in the 5000s. All three posted automatically. Unexpected.
Definitely! First report I have heard.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:59 pm

Definitely! First report I have heard.
I have what is hopefully the final update here. Just logged into my account and noticed that AS acted on my request to credit BA-operated segments using the BA chart, so I earned a full ~40k EQM for the trip. It's unclear when this happened; customer care never sent an email informing me that they'd do it.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:28 pm

I have what is hopefully the final update here. Just logged into my account and noticed that AS acted on my request to credit BA-operated segments using the BA chart, so I earned a full ~40k EQM for the trip. It's unclear when this happened; customer care never sent an email informing me that they'd do it.
It is possible that it has just been done. Follow-up emails usually come a day or two after the changes. You may still get one. I am still intrigued with the auto-posting on the Marketing Carrier Charts.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.