Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Redeposit fee for cancelled award flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,

If I have an award reservation through Alaska Air on an international itinerary on a Alaskan partner airline, but need to cancel, what fees, how much would that be?

thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
There's no specific miles redeposit fee, just the $125 ticket change/cancellation charge if more less than sixty days out from departure.

Last edited by jinglish; Nov 13, 2017 at 2:09 pm
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jinglish
There's no specific miles redeposit fee, just the $125 ticket change/cancellation charge if less than sixty days out from departure.
I fixed it for you

miles are returned along with refund of taxes, phone booking fee and partner booking fee not refundable.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by CDKing

miles are returned along with refund of taxes, phone booking fee and partner booking fee not refundable.
Is this still true for a 75K? And does the 60-day window go away for a 75K?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
Is this still true for a 75K? And does the 60-day window go away for a 75K?
75K and Gold. The special 60 day benefit was for MVP and general status member. That is what was discontinued. It was just a short time thing AS did to soften the blow when the change free went form $75 to $125 that didn't last long. Waiver of change fee for Gold (and now 75K) has been around for at least a decade.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
75K and Gold. The special 60 day benefit was for MVP and general status member. That is what was discontinued. It was just a short time thing AS did to soften the blow when the change free went form $75 to $125 that didn't last long. Waiver of change fee for Gold (and now 75K) has been around for at least a decade.
I believe the partner booking fee applies and is non-refundable in event of cancellation, regardless of status (though I could be wrong or you could have an agent refund it for you against policy). It's only $12.50 each way tho, so if you don't get it back, you're not out that much in the grand scheme of things. Also I think a "change" in itinerary could carry it over (i.e., re-routing w/ a different carrier) so depending on what you're trying to do with a reservation, you may not be completely out the $12.50.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Thanks for the helpful replies.

So if I (an Alaska 75K) book a BA J award one-way for 60k miles and $500 in extortion fees via alaskaair.com, I could get all the miles and all the money back if I cancel a few hours before departure?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
Thanks for the helpful replies.

So if I (an Alaska 75K) book a BA J award one-way for 60k miles and $500 in extortion fees via alaskaair.com, I could get all the miles and all the money back if I cancel a few hours before departure?
(emphasis added)

No. You will not get the $12.50 partner fee back. Taxes and surcharges yes.

Personally I would go for BA F for 10k AS miles more (assuming you have it and it's available, otherwise BA J on 747s UD isn't horrible though you need to pay $ for the seats unless you're OW Sapphire+), and if you're going EU-USA, book it out of AMS/BRU/INV and connect in London and you can drop the UK APD, which is about $200. BA F is probably the world's best business class. BA J not so much.

I get that the surcharges are rough but advance J/F to or from the EU during peak travel periods isn't an easy get these days, and doing something like waiting for LH F can put you on pins and needles... BA is probably the best at making it available (it was that or FI "business class" on my summer trip home from the EU, and that was actually FI Y to KEF and J to SEA @ 55k).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 11, 2019 at 1:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.