Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uh-oh, is coal on the way again?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'd probably feel the same if I were 75K. But I have to tell you, attaining Gold as an all-leisure traveler has not been easy - not that AS should care about that, but 40,000 miles, all leisure, no work-related, all on our dime, has been a tough (but pleasurable, since we DID get to go all those places), schedule to keep up for the past few years.
My job in Denali National Park does not require any work related travel either, so like you, all of my travel is on my own dime.

Those of us who are "just" Gold do not get showered with gifts all year long...very few upgrades any more, etc...so our experience, after seeing the VX's get showered last year while we got nothing, does sting.
I guess it's all in how one looks at it. Even as a "mere" Gold, speaking only for myself here - I'd still be appreciative most of all for the waived fees but also for the ability to select premium seats (albeit in the main cabin) at time of booking, the complimentary cocktail(s), the double mileage earned and the GGUs. First Class upgrades are nice but as one who logged my first millionth mile over 30 years ago and remember flying when First Class was much, much nicer, I don't get all that excited about the current "First Class" product anymore. Given the extra legroom and perks in Premium Economy, I'm not at all unhappy there. Additionally, it's not like Golds aren't getting any upgrades anymore. I know of at least a couple of "mere" MVPs who do surprisingly well in this regard flying primarily FAI-SEA and SEA-DEN.

So while "showered" might seem a bit superlative, I honestly feel Alaska does a great job of showing its appreciation on most every flight throughout the year.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 14, 2017 at 12:01 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
First-time base-level MVP here. What did MVP's get in the past?

I need to know what I'm whining about not getting now.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
... Even as a "mere" Gold, speaking only for myself here - I'd still be appreciative most of all for the waived fees but also for the ability to select premium seats (albeit in the main cabin) at time of booking...
One proviso: If MVPGs want to select premium seats at time of booking on planes with Premium Class we have to be in certain fare classes. So we have to pay extra for it.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I'd probably feel the same if I were 75K
I feel the same, and I bounce between Gold (this year and some years in the past) and MVP (next year and some years in the past). Never been remotely close to 75K.

So while "showered" might seem a bit superlative, I honestly feel Alaska does a great job of showing its appreciation on most every flight throughout the year.
I do as well. It's a pretty good deal, all things considered. I don't get bent out of shape that AS gave some love to new people and not to me (while honoring the deal they had with me, that part of which is exactly what I expected- they came through on what they promised to me, and it's none of my business if someone ELSE got a better deal because AS bought VX). Instead, I've been collecting DL miles for next to nothing because DL is giving love to some new people, plus the usual allotment of WN/UA/AV when a good deal comes along.

I'm not going to labor under an illusion that I'm a particularly valuable customer to AS, but I'm happy with the program at the moment. If that changes I'll just go elsewhere instead of taking it personal. The brick doesn't love me, and that's OK.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 14, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped
First-time base-level MVP here. What did MVP's get in the past?

I need to know what I'm whining about not getting now.
Golds and 75Ks had, for some time, gotten an end-of-the-year gift in addition to the stated benefits--I believe it was a choice of extra GGUs, lounge passes, or something else. Nothing last year, hence the whining.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jinglish
Golds and 75Ks had, for some time, gotten an end-of-the-year gift in addition to the stated benefits--I believe it was a choice of extra GGUs, lounge passes, or something else. Nothing last year, hence the whining.
And in the distant past it was chocolate-covered cookies.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I got the cookies my first year as gold before they axed those.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I was able to make multiple changes to my flights without any change fees, only needing to pay the fare difference or getting a credit. That alone is worth being Gold or above. The complementary upgrades and the ability to get immediate upgrades are just icing on the cake.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:31 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

With all the integration bumps this year, it wouldn't be the worst idea to throw a bone to the elites.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
And in the distant past it was chocolate-covered cookies.
Think I still have one left. Not sure I'd want to eat it anymore.

Sorry (but not overly so) to row against the current here, but I just want to go on record as saying I have zero complaints with Alaska's end-of-year offerings or lack of same.

I've been a 75K every year since that tier has been attainable and throughout that time Alaska Airlines has always treated me like royalty with warm, personal recognition and thanks on every flight along with great perks such as upgrades, quality preflight seat assignments in the main cabin, free drinks and the waiving of almost all ancillary fees related to air travel.

Maybe I'm missing something here and really ought to be less thankful, but in the 41 years and 1500+ flights since my first flight with Alaska in 1976, Alaska Airlines and I have had a great relationship, one that has rewarded me with a ton of miles (and unlike other airlines continues to do so) and really doesn't require any end of season gifts because I honestly feel showered with them throughout the year.

Thanks, Alaska!
I'd like to echo these thoughts, although I've only been an AS MP member since '04 myself. But my first AS flight was in the early 90's
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
For me it comes down to the old idea of "smile and you will feel better, you will be happier; frown and you will find more things that make you feel bad" Others have said it better, but if I had to answer the question "what have you (AS) done for me lately" it would be a long list actually. I got several discount codes for flights where the aircraft was swapped and premium class was no longer available. I got some discounts for long flight delays last month. I was able to take my husband to the Earth Wind and Fire concert and met several other FFs as well as AS employees and had a blast. I do get to board early and always have space by my seat in the overhead bin because of that. I was able to cancel and re-book two different trips due to a client not being ready without having to pay a change fee. I do not have to pay for baggage (unless part of my trip is on AA where AA is the first leg) I do get very nice "thank you for being a Gold or a 75k even if I am upgraded to FC which is another nice thing that AS does for me about 80% of the time. So, while I DO understand your frustration Eujeanie, and support your right to express frustration over it, I also think it is important to focus on why AS is the right airline to use. What makes you chose AS over another?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by ctporter
For me it comes down to the old idea of "smile and you will feel better, you will be happier; frown and you will find more things that make you feel bad" Others have said it better, but if I had to answer the question "what have you (AS) done for me lately" it would be a long list actually. I got several discount codes for flights where the aircraft was swapped and premium class was no longer available. I got some discounts for long flight delays last month. I was able to take my husband to the Earth Wind and Fire concert and met several other FFs as well as AS employees and had a blast. I do get to board early and always have space by my seat in the overhead bin because of that. I was able to cancel and re-book two different trips due to a client not being ready without having to pay a change fee. I do not have to pay for baggage (unless part of my trip is on AA where AA is the first leg) I do get very nice "thank you for being a Gold or a 75k even if I am upgraded to FC which is another nice thing that AS does for me about 80% of the time. So, while I DO understand your frustration Eujeanie, and support your right to express frustration over it, I also think it is important to focus on why AS is the right airline to use. What makes you chose AS over another?
First of all, while I did start this thread, I did not recently resurrect it...and you're right, we get a lot more out of AS than we would from any other airline serving Eugene. I was initially upset last year when we were overlooked in favor of the VX's for the end of year gifts, I guess I'm old school and am a "if you don't have enough candy for everyone in the class, nobody gets any".

We manage to fly First on almost all our long haul flights, either through the 4 GGU's we earn from turning Gold each year, or paying the upcharge for a regular Gold upgrade. But I can't remember a single short-haul (to us that means LAS/LAX/PHX/SAN/SFO, etc.) where we were upgraded this year. And I don't like the upgrade glitches that enable my no-status neighbors to get ostensibly the same upgrades we do (mentioned in another thread).

Living in EUG, I love that we get 500 miles for the puddle jumpers we HAVE to take to get positioned to get anywhere. If we lived in SEA, say, with non-stops everywhere, we'd be lucky to make MVP every year, never mind Gold.

So yes, I like to grumble, I'm human, but I do like Alaska and they will continue to be our airline. Now if I could only stop checking my in-box for that "Happy Holidays!" email...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by dayone
With all the integration bumps this year, it wouldn't be the worst idea to throw a bone to the elites.
Only temporary but being able to upgrade on a VX fleet, post 4/25 is a small but worthy bone.

Jiburi
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:51 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jiburi
Only temporary but being able to upgrade on a VX fleet, post 4/25 is a small but worthy bone.
Certainly anecdotal, but I haven't seen any U on post-4/25 Airbus flights.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by dayone
Certainly anecdotal, but I haven't seen any U on post-4/25 Airbus flights.
I'm on several Airbus flights that I've used GGUs on next year to upgrade. They aren't common, but they are out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.