Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Canada on AS with a Nexus card but no passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Canada on AS with a Nexus card but no passport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AS could absolutely require a passport if it wishes. However, its website is poorly-written and the direction to a third-party visa provider does not help. If it is AS policy that passengers travelling to a destination outside the US must present a valid passport, the website ought to say so in clear and unambiguous language.

The fact that it may be good practice to travel with a passport does not impact writing one's website in clear language.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
Since AS doesn't have scanners linked to US/Canadian and Mexican customs at the gates then Nexus should not be used as they have no way of knowing if there is a valid passport attached . Traveling internationally without a passport is asking for trouble. If AS has a policy accepting Nexus, which I doubt, then that policy is wrong.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
AS could absolutely require a passport if it wishes. However, its website is poorly-written and the direction to a third-party visa provider does not help. If it is AS policy that passengers travelling to a destination outside the US must present a valid passport, the website ought to say so in clear and unambiguous language.

The fact that it may be good practice to travel with a passport does not impact writing one's website in clear language.
agreed. it should not be this hard to find their policy (on their website). it will avoid the situation i faced on saturday (AS phone rep said nexus was okay, airport agent refuses to check-in w/o passport, miss flight).
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
Originally Posted by damieniz1
agreed. it should not be this hard to find their policy (on their website). it will avoid the situation i faced on saturday (AS phone rep said nexus was okay, airport agent refuses to check-in w/o passport, miss flight).
If you would have tried to check in online or via the app then you would have seen that a passport must be entered to check-in.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:12 pm

but that only means you are unable to check-in online.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Everyone saying you need a valid passport for Nexus: check yourself before you wreck yourself. You need proof of citizenship/PR. 99% of you will have used your passport for this. You're required to update documents as they expire or become relevant: visas, for example, must be added in person at a Nexus office before you can use it with Nexus.

From CBSA:
You must provide a photocopy of an acceptable proof of your Canadian or U.S. citizenship and/or permanent resident status and admissibility to Canada
To demonstrate that you are a Canadian or U.S. citizen, you must provide a photocopy of one of the following documents:
  • In Canada
    • a valid passport;
    • a birth certificate and photo ID;
    • a Canadian citizenship certificate or card; or
    • a Certificate of Indian Status.
  • In the United States
    • a valid passport;
    • a birth certificate and photo ID;
    • a U.S. citizenship certificate;
    • a certificate of naturalization; or
    • a border crossing card.
All of that is separate from whether AS chooses to accept it, of course. I can have a valid Nexus card with no passport at all. That's allowed.
glitchy likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i'm curious what happened to the OP's wife.
A few years late but here's the answer.

AS was good to their word. Their website states that you don't require a passport to travel to Canada and the person checking my wife in was knew that was the case. No problems at all.

Kudos to AS.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 12:12 pm

Hello everyone. I would also like to share my sad story about how I lost my passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.