Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Canada on AS with a Nexus card but no passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Canada on AS with a Nexus card but no passport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i'm curious what happened to the OP's wife.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
"Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), the NEXUS card has been approved as an alternative to the passport for air travel into the United States for U.S. and Canadian citizens. However, if you are traveling without a passport we advise that you contact the airline first. You will also not be able to use the Global Entry kiosk upon entering the U.S."

​​​​​​​https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...al-information
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by pfpdx
"Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), the NEXUS card has been approved as an alternative to the passport for air travel into the United States for U.S. and Canadian citizens. However, if you are traveling without a passport we advise that you contact the airline first. You will also not be able to use the Global Entry kiosk upon entering the U.S."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...al-information

Another data point on this. I was flying w/Canadian traveler, traveling with Nexus card from SEA-YLW. AS agent would not check-in without a passport. The agent cited - TravelDoc- ICTS Europe Systems - as the reason for not checking-in. I thought a call to the 75k reservation line might help (i am 75k), phone agent told me nexus was only valid for land travel, not for air

I was very surprised at the unfamiliarity with the Nexus program.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
If they were flying to Kelowna then the agent was correct, that page clearly lists the airports you can use your NEXUS card for travel to/from and Kelowna isn't one of them. Looks like it's only valid for Canadian airports with US pre-clearance facilities.

Neil
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Coming back to this my quote from CBP talks about entering the US. Would need to find the documentation for what you need to enter Canada.

I really think the prudent measure is to travel with a passport.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, the NEXUS card is linked to a passport and its expiration date. You are supposed to update your NEXUS info online whenever you renew your passport.

So even if a NEXUS card linked to a valid passport may work for someone in a given situation, that doesn't necessarily mean that a NEXUS card linked to an expired passport would necessarily work in the same situation, especially if the card is scanned rather than just looked at.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by missamo80
If they were flying to Kelowna then the agent was correct, that page clearly lists the airports you can use your NEXUS card for travel to/from and Kelowna isn't one of them. Looks like it's only valid for Canadian airports with US pre-clearance facilities.

Neil
what about this: If you are a Canadian or U.S. citizen, and a NEXUS member, you may use your membership card as proof of identification and citizenship when entering Canada by land, air (when coming from the U.S.) or boat when using non-NEXUS lanes.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.html
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
All of that is true. You can use it as proof of identification when entering. That's entirely different from whether airlines can and should accept it as a substitute for a passport.

Neil
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Also, the NEXUS card is linked to a passport and its expiration date. You are supposed to update your NEXUS info online whenever you renew your passport.

So even if a NEXUS card linked to a valid passport may work for someone in a given situation, that doesn't necessarily mean that a NEXUS card linked to an expired passport would necessarily work in the same situation, especially if the card is scanned rather than just looked at.
This exactly! Your Nexus card and passport are linked. If your passport expires your Nexus card is invalid for border crossings. If your Nexus card expires then your valid passport will no longer work for Global Entry and TSA precheck, if that is how you get GE and precheck. It is a bit of a pain to keep both updated. My passport renewed last year and Nexus expires in April this year. One new feature for US passport holders is that you can renew Nexus online and may be able to bypass the interview. I have my fingers crossed to skip the interview for my renewal. And Nexus is only $50.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:23 pm

All of that is true. You can use it as proof of identification when entering. That's entirely different from whether airlines can and should accept it as a substitute for a passport.

Neil
My confusion was AS policy...is the policy, okay to use Nexus when traveling to US and select Canadian airports (on the "list"), otherwise, need a passport?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:29 pm

Neil
My confusion was AS policy...is the policy, okay to use Nexus when traveling to US and select Canadian airports (on the "list"), otherwise, need a passport? My issue is with the website (traveldocs), it is not correct to stay you can only use your nexus in lieu of passport at Nexus designated airports, that is not true. It seems the AS policy is based on an incorrect statement from a third-party website, no?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by damieniz1
My confusion was AS policy...is the policy, okay to use Nexus when traveling to US and select Canadian airports (on the "list"), otherwise, need a passport? My issue is with the website (traveldocs), it is not correct to stay you can only use your nexus in lieu of passport at Nexus designated airports, that is not true. It seems the AS policy is based on an incorrect statement from a third-party website, no?
For air travel I only use Nexus when going through security with TSA or the Canadian equivalent. For all airline activities - online cfheckin, airport checkin and boarding I use passport. I tried Nexus a few times for boarding AS both in Canada and in the US flying to Canada and all I got was a blank look. I think you have to accept that Nexus is a pretty small program and expecting airline personnel to recognize it is a bit much.

Also when traveling in countries other than Canada and Mexico then I don't even try to use Nexus.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by drewcwsj
For air travel I only use Nexus when going through security with TSA or the Canadian equivalent. For all airline activities - online cfheckin, airport checkin and boarding I use passport. I tried Nexus a few times for boarding AS both in Canada and in the US flying to Canada and all I got was a blank look. I think you have to accept that Nexus is a pretty small program and expecting airline personnel to recognize it is a bit much.

Also when traveling in countries other than Canada and Mexico then I don't even try to use Nexus.
Aiming higher here, what is the actual AS policy? and does it seem strange they would write a policy based on incorrect information?

When you are traveling across international borders, customs and immigration will require that you provide proof of citizenship. This proof can vary, as each country has its own requirements for entry. In order to get through the check-in and security process quickly and easily, please make sure that the name on your travel documents matches the name on your ticket.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by damieniz1
Aiming higher here, what is the actual AS policy? and does it seem strange they would write a policy based on incorrect information?

When you are traveling across international borders, customs and immigration will require that you provide proof of citizenship. This proof can vary, as each country has its own requirements for entry. In order to get through the check-in and security process quickly and easily, please make sure that the name on your travel documents matches the name on your ticket.
I think you are going down a rabbit hole here...just do what works, passport for airline stuff and Nexus for security stuff, and don't expect AS (or any airline) to train all their employees on Nexus. It's a niche program. One big problem for airlines with Nexus is without scanning they don't know if it links to a valid passport and they could be breaking the law.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by drewcwsj
I think you are going down a rabbit hole here...just do what works, passport for airline stuff and Nexus for security stuff, and don't expect AS (or any airline) to train all their employees on Nexus. It's a niche program. One big problem for airlines with Nexus is without scanning they don't know if it links to a valid passport and they could be breaking the law.
It isn't crazy to want to know the AS policy on documents required for international travel, right? I am assuming it is the traveldocs website...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.