Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Canada on AS with a Nexus card but no passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Canada on AS with a Nexus card but no passport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:29 pm

Given that alaska's website itself says its okay, i would personally book the earlier flight in the day to YVR, expecting to not be able to catch it as I argue with the agent, and eventually getting put on the later flight after escalating.

Plus get the flight cost refunded with some miles thrown in for being involuntarily denied boarding despite having the documents listed on alaskaair website.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Am a US resident with NEXUS and Passport. At entry into Canada, NEXUS automated machines were inoperative in YVR. I had to see the regular agent. When I presented my NEXUS card, the agent asked instead for my passport. Not knowing why, I presented my passport, of which I carried just in case.

I don't know how it would have been dealt had I not carried it, but I too would suggest you carry it.

Jiburi
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by sbedelman
I've dug further and AS provides a tool to confirm what documents are required (https://alaskaairlines.traveldoc.aero). Here is what it says...

Given that this information comes directly from AS website it seems reasonable that agents working these routes know both the applicable government and company rules.
I wouldn't take this as gospel. alaskaairlines.traveldoc.aero is not an AAG/AS website, it's a third party (the domain is traveldoc.aero), which claims to be "A preferred provider of Alaska Airlines," with a logo from two brand refreshes ago.

In their terms and conditions, which you have to accept to get information from them, they state "Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors..."

Referencing a source that isn't the airline itself, which also doesn't guarantee its own information, isn't going sway any airline employee or government agent.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Technically, you need a passport in the event of a secondary inspection from airport staff.

In the United States, a trusted traveler card, such as NEXUS, is a valid secured document under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and may be used by itself to reenter the United States from Canada, including by air. Although the card creates a presumption of nationality, neither US nor Canadian law views the NEXUS card as full proof of citizenship. NEXUS cards issued after September 2010 are accepted as proof of citizenship (if the card holder is a citizen of either country), and the traveler is no longer required to carry the passport if traveling by land only. However, airport documentation checks can and do require presentation of a passport in addition to the NEXUS card in the event of a secondary inspection.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
The UA agents checking me in at SEA for a AC flight SEA-YYZ were able to force their systems to check me in with just a Nexus card in September, but they told me that in January the systems will change to require a passport. YMMV.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Given that this information comes directly from AS website it seems reasonable that agents working these routes know both the applicable government and company rules.
That's not Alaska's website, that's a 3rd party website with Alaska's logo slapped on it. Chances are that site reports what the government requires, not what Alaska's gate agent might tell you is required.

You keep coming back and hoping for a different answer and keep getting told the same thing: you fly with only a NEXUS card at your peril, and stand a very good chance of getting into a long debate at the gate and missing the flight.

Neil
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
is getting a new passport more inconvenient that flying to BLI and driving to YVR? because with a Nexus card, you're going to very likely end up in the latter situation based on all the feedback you got here. it might also end up being expensive.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
is getting a new passport more inconvenient that flying to BLI and driving to YVR? because with a Nexus card, you're going to very likely end up in the latter situation based on all the feedback you got here. it might also end up being expensive.
Driving SEA-BLI is only 90 minutes, If north of Seattle even shorter. To fly the 92 miles and rent a car (even if the rental company allows international use into Canada) would be very expensive. As of late SEA-BLI flights are expensive too compared to the gold old $89 BLI-LAS non-stop fares we used to get. Looking at a one-way for this Friday SEA-YVR is $179, SEA-BLI is $182. Personally, I would just drive.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swingaling
Technically, you need a passport in the event of a secondary inspection from airport staff.

In the United States, a trusted traveler card, such as NEXUS, is a valid secured document under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and may be used by itself to reenter the United States from Canada, including by air. Although the card creates a presumption of nationality, neither US nor Canadian law views the NEXUS card as full proof of citizenship. NEXUS cards issued after September 2010 are accepted as proof of citizenship (if the card holder is a citizen of either country), and the traveler is no longer required to carry the passport if traveling by land only. However, airport documentation checks can and do require presentation of a passport in addition to the NEXUS card in the event of a secondary inspection.
Could you tell me where you found this information about a secondary inspection requiring a passport. I can't find any mention of that either in the documents from Canadian or US authorities or from AS itself. Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missamo80
That's not Alaska's website, that's a 3rd party website with Alaska's logo slapped on it. Chances are that site reports what the government requires, not what Alaska's gate agent might tell you is required.

You keep coming back and hoping for a different answer and keep getting told the same thing: you fly with only a NEXUS card at your peril, and stand a very good chance of getting into a long debate at the gate and missing the flight.

Neil
I went to that website because the AS agent I spoke to called the company's international desk and they told him to tell me that what is on that site is what I should go by. The agent then read from AS online guide for agents and it had exactly the same wording.

I'm not trying to get a different answer from anyone. I'm only trying to find out what people's experiences have been. I now know that people are being asked for passports. That's very useful. I've brought this Alaska's attention and asked that they look into the matter. Hopefully they'll take care of the situation.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This thread is a good example of how poor information gets spread around:

1. OP came here with a question and has heard from an array of people that the AS GA will most likely require a passport.

2. OP has also been told that any Passport Agency can issue a passport for as soon as same day travel if need be. Travel soon is easy.

3. Someone else says that it's laughable that people go through this because they are "technically" in the US at Pre-Clearance. That is absolute rubbish and for some people, dangerous rubbish.

4. If OP's wife is denied boarding for improper docs, that is not IDB. The assertion that it is IDB is also rubbish, suggesting that it's a good idea to read the DOT rule before posting about it.

That leaves OP with the choice of taking the advice of people who know what is likely to happen or having his wife get in a fight at the gate and be denied boarding. Maybe or maybe not.

This is all about risk tolerance. Me? I'd get the passport.
ptownca likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
4. If OP's wife is denied boarding for improper docs, that is not IDB. The assertion that it is IDB is also rubbish, suggesting that it's a good idea to read the DOT rule before posting about it..
I must have missed it. Who asserted that if someone is denied boarding because they attempted to travel to Canada with a Nexus card in lieu of a passport that it would be an IDB?

Last edited by sbedelman; Nov 16, 2017 at 8:59 am
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by swingaling
Although the card creates a presumption of nationality, neither US nor Canadian law views the NEXUS card as full proof of citizenship. NEXUS cards issued after September 2010 are accepted as proof of citizenship (if the card holder is a citizen of either country), and the traveler is no longer required to carry the passport if traveling by land only. However, airport documentation checks can and do require presentation of a passport in addition to the NEXUS card in the event of a secondary inspection.
As all NEXUS cards in or before 2010 have expired or been renewed, wouldn't all current nexus cards be considered valid proof of citizenship for purpose of US Canada travel?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by xobile
As all NEXUS cards in or before 2010 have expired or been renewed, wouldn't all current nexus cards be considered valid proof of citizenship for purpose of US Canada travel?
No.

I have Nexus, but am only a Permanent Resident, not a citizen.

Expecting AS sub-contracted minimum wage handling agent staff in Canada to differentiate between who has a Nexus card and is a citizen and whom is a resident and who needs a passport and who doesn't is a long shot.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I must have missed it. Who asserted that if someone is denied boarding because they attempted to travel to Canada with a Nexus card in lieu of a passport that it would be an IDB?
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Given that alaska's website itself says its okay, i would personally book the earlier flight in the day to YVR, expecting to not be able to catch it as I argue with the agent, and eventually getting put on the later flight after escalating.

Plus get the flight cost refunded with some miles thrown in for being involuntarily denied boarding despite having the documents listed on alaskaair website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.