FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   SEA Cancelled Flights Today (11/3) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1875637-sea-cancelled-flights-today-11-3-a.html)

Asquared1 Nov 3, 2017 3:46 pm

SEA Cancelled Flights Today (11/3)

4 inbound and 5 outbound PDX<> SEA flights cancelled today spread throughout the whole day. Mainline, QX and OO. What's up with that? I understand there is some snow flurries causing delays, but why all the cancellations? I don't see any DL CXL's on the board at SEA and Alaska has a ton.

cxbonne Nov 3, 2017 4:49 pm

De icing

Sitting right now on Delayed BA 52 SEA-LHR for over 1 hour waiting for de icing equipment to arrive. I can imagine AS is having similar issues or worse for smaller aircraft and scrapping flights.

beckoa Nov 3, 2017 5:04 pm

There was a 3.5 hr delay on AS95 SEA-ANC. This caused a friend to have a similar delay on AS195 ANC-FAI and subsequent misconnect to SEA etc...

It sounds a bit messy...

Asquared1 Nov 3, 2017 5:12 pm

No snow on ground in Webcam http://www.king5.com/weather/sea-tac-airport-cam and temps above freezing, but delays/cxls seems to be a mess there.

I guess this explains it a little, but SEA doesn't seem very resilient. http://komonews.com/weather/scotts-w...ea-tac-airport

IStream Nov 3, 2017 5:15 pm

SEA-MSY cancelled today after hours of delays. Trying to rebook via the MVPG "priority" line. Been on hold for 66 minutes and counting. AS has really gone down the crapper.

jiburi Nov 3, 2017 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Asquared1 (Post 29015500)
No snow on ground in Webcam http://www.king5.com/weather/sea-tac-airport-cam and temps above freezing, but delays/cxls seems to be a mess there.

It snowed most of AM hours until noon.

Jiburi

SNAnghbr Nov 3, 2017 5:45 pm

Current conditions at KSEA per Flightaware

Seattle-Tacoma Intl (KSEA) is currently experiencing:

departure delays of 16 minutes to 30 minutes (and increasing) due to low visibility
arrival delays for airborne aircraft an average of 1 hours 6 minutes
inbound flights delayed at their origin an average of 2 hours 38 minutes due to low clouds.

Then add in flight and cabin crew time outs and YUCK happens.

However delays do seem to have gotten worst in SEA this year. Is some FAA equipment out of order, or construction making things worst?

jrl767 Nov 3, 2017 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by SNAnghbr (Post 29015601)
... delays do seem to have gotten worst in SEA this year. Is some FAA equipment out of order, or construction making things worst?

the basic problem is the physical layout: runways that aren’t really spaced far enough apart for simultaneous operations when the weather starts to deteriorate

this is of course aggravated by ever-increasing numbers of flights, aka “competition”

Asquared1 Nov 3, 2017 5:57 pm

The airport official in this video explains it, snow had little to do with it it seems. Basically if they have low clouds and have to use a north traffic flowed they are screwed, pretty weak.

http://komonews.com/weather/scotts-w...ea-tac-airport

RaginPlainsman Nov 3, 2017 5:58 pm

Guessing that's part of the (or the) reason why AS 922 was 4 hours late leaving SEA for BWI, and making the BWI return almost into a redeye (presuming it leaves at all - crew timeout is a concern.)

Kieron Nov 3, 2017 6:46 pm

Up in the city, it was more or less raining half-frozen slush all morning. The sort of weather that automatically makes you dread long de-icing lineups when you see it at the gate.

DL4790 on SEA-PDX later canceled too. Probably low enough loads today that both AS and DL had capacity for bumped passengers on the turns that did operate; even after the cancellations, right now they've both got space available on late-evening flights.

Asquared1 Nov 3, 2017 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kieron (Post 29015796)
Up in the city, it was more or less raining half-frozen slush all morning. The sort of weather that automatically makes you dread long de-icing lineups when you see it at the gate.

DL4790 on SEA-PDX later canceled too. Probably low enough loads today that both AS and DL had capacity for bumped passengers on the turns that did operate; even after the cancellations, right now they've both got space available on late-evening flights.

Nothing available PDX>SEA. Probably would have been quicker to bus a lot of those people. Is that something they do?

drvannostren Nov 3, 2017 8:03 pm

I'm working at YVR today, just wanted to weigh* in.

So AS has cancelled all their flights up here today (I'm not sure if the PDX one came in or not) and the word is basically just that they want to keep the de-icing guys free for bigger aircrafts, longer flights etc.

What I don't get, is why are they still de-icing? It's been overcast at worst here at YVR since 1300. Not a drop of rain, nor a flake of snow. I know that doesn't mean SEA isn't worse, but I'd be surprised if it was snowmageddon down there and fine here.

However, the alternative is what DL is doing. DL hasn't cancelled a flight yet today to YVR, they're just excessively delayed, with no real notifications. One of the flights pushed off the gate and "taxiied" for over an hour at SEA. I know I hate being one of those passengers. I'd much rather just have my flight cancelled, especially when it's just SEA-YVR.

I am however surprised that I haven't heard about any bus rescue yet. As I've said the weather is fine, and rather than cancel and re-accom all these passengers, if you offered a bus, ESPECIALLY if it could maybe stop in a couple more convenient places on the way to YVR, then I bet a lot of pax would take that option.

We're off/on the ramp here today basically on standby the whole time just waiting to hear a flight is coming lol. Odds are it stretches late late into the night :(. Unfortunately this is just how SEA is. I'm not sure what the situation is down there with de-ice contract/equipment/space but it always becomes a mess when the weather goes south.

MonThruThurs Nov 3, 2017 8:09 pm

I was on the receiving end of this and had a terrible experience. Was supposed to connect in ORD. Landed with a notification that flight is cancelled and to call. Only have a 1 hour connect, which by the time we got to the gate was 45 mins.

No proactive rebooking. Get to AS gate, there is a short line - they had already helped people at the gate. I get pushed to late tomorrow, people without status get on AA and UA flights - colleague was one of them.

That is not right.

SpicyMorale Nov 3, 2017 9:42 pm

Financially it still makes sense to try and reccomadate passengers then being prepared, it is what it is.