Q400 fleet starting to get the new livery

Old Oct 31, 17, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Q400 fleet starting to get the new livery

I guess the crew shortage means they have a lot of time to sit in the paint hangar.
Old Oct 31, 17, 3:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP
beautiful. Cant wait to see it in real life
Old Oct 31, 17, 3:43 pm

lipstick on a pig

I hope they are doing something about the interior as well because if they paint the exterior and don't do something about the Burgundy carpet, seats and yellowed wall panels it will not be the hip vibe they say they are going for in the combined AS/VX. It matter because most people only see the tail logo and think, "if this is Alaska maybe I will not book them next time."

Last edited by SNAnghbr; Oct 31, 17 at 3:44 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 31, 17, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SNAnghbr View Post
I hope they are doing something about the interior as well because if they paint the exterior and don't do something about the Burgundy carpet, seats and yellowed wall panels it will not be the hip vibe they say they are going for in the combined AS/VX. It matter because most people only see the tail logo and think, "if this is Alaska maybe I will not book them next time."
Not going to happen.
Old Oct 31, 17, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus View Post
Not going to happen.
The interiors are 10-15 years old and most of the planes will be in the fleet for years to come. Doesn't make a lot of sense to rebrand/refresh everything in the company, including the outside of the planes but then, for a large subfleet, keep the same ratty old interiors indefinitely.
Old Oct 31, 17, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Porter Airlines have nice interiors on their Q400s, WestJet Encore too. It would be nice to see Alaska make some headway here. Not asking for Wi-Fi and power (though it would be needed if beer/wine went away) but a refresh would be great. Window shades, mood lights, new carpets, boarding music, new seat/covers.
Old Oct 31, 17, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by QXflyer View Post
Porter Airlines have nice interiors on their Q400s, WestJet Encore too. It would be nice to see Alaska make some headway here. Not asking for Wi-Fi and power (though it would be needed if beer/wine went away) ...
The Beer/Wine cannot go away. Thats what makes the flights!
Old Oct 31, 17, 8:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by QXflyer View Post
Porter Airlines have nice interiors on their Q400s, WestJet Encore too. It would be nice to see Alaska make some headway here. Not asking for Wi-Fi and power (though it would be needed if beer/wine went away) but a refresh would be great. Window shades, mood lights, new carpets, boarding music, new seat/covers.
Indeed WestJet Encore has beautiful interiors with full-size overhead bins not requiring "a-la-carte" baggage service plane side. Too bad they are such a hypocritical company that "revolutionized" Canadian airline travel when they took to the skies on February 29th, 1996 and grew to be exactly what the company loathed in the industry at the time. Not a fan and don't support them. My two flights (first and last) was the end of a 38 hour journey from Barcelona to Kelowna after a storm in New York canceled my First seat on AA JFK-SEA after just short of 3 hours on the tarmac waiting for takeoff. I was re-accommodated to Philippine Airlines 10 across Y 777 to YVR and then Encore YVR-YYJ-YLW

Comparatively, QX Q-400 are certainly not as up to date with their interiors but I find them fine for a sub-hour flight with or without beverage service. I would prefer they purchase more 2-class E175s for the "longer" short hauls and increase frequencies with the shorter ones than spend piles of money on interior upgrades. Just my opinion.

James
Old Oct 31, 17, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17 View Post
The interiors are 10-15 years old and most of the planes will be in the fleet for years to come. Doesn't make a lot of sense to rebrand/refresh everything in the company, including the outside of the planes but then, for a large subfleet, keep the same ratty old interiors indefinitely.
Exteriors are repainted as a routine maintenance cycle - interior refurbishment, not so much. In any case - I can't say I've every noticed "ratty" interiors on any Q400 but maybe that was just luck. I do know I've been on some of the newest at times.
Old Oct 31, 17, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by robsaw View Post
Exteriors are repainted as a routine maintenance cycle - interior refurbishment, not so much. In any case - I can't say I've every noticed "ratty" interiors on any Q400 but maybe that was just luck. I do know I've been on some of the newest at times.
Every AS trip for me starts and ends with a Q400 flight. I honestly have never felt that there was a need for them to refurbish the interior.
Old Oct 31, 17, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw View Post
Mostly (very) old, worn, burgundy seats, yellowed sidewalls, no window shades, etc. The company should theoretically be shooting for a seamless experience and consistent branding (hence painting the outside of the planes) - nothing about the Q400 experience is reminiscent of the experience they advertise on the interior https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ightExperience

They notably do not feature any interior Q400 photos here https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...huttleregional
Old Nov 1, 17, 1:01 am

Plans are being finalized for updating the Q400 interiors to match the rest of the Alaska fleet.
Old Nov 1, 17, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Snowdevil View Post
Plans are being finalized for updating the Q400 interiors to match the rest of the Alaska fleet.
First?

PE would be nice... but imagine that would require the removal of a row of seats...
Old Nov 2, 17, 11:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
First?

PE would be nice... but imagine that would require the removal of a row of seats...
The new Horizon Q400 First Class will offer 31" pitch and customers will enjoy an extensive selection of fine wines and appetizers (except on flights shorter than 1,500 miles due to the short duration of the flight and expected turbulence).
Old Nov 2, 17, 2:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Couldn't see the linked tweet in the mobile version of FT. Still like the old livery, but looks good even if the Horizon lettering is getting smaller and smaller! Especially like the accent on the rear of the prop nacelle. Nice detail!

Doesn't seem to have the three digits from the registration on the nose underneath the cockpit windows anymore in that picture. Am I just overlooking it? Very useful for keeping track of my plane log.

Search this Thread