Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Should cattle stick with AS or defect to DL in 2018?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS DL

Using the search function, there's a few threads on Alaska not having much of an AA partnership in 2018 but not too much on the effects of cattle, like me. I am a little more than cattle. As a MVP, I am maybe a talking cow, but not a road warrior.

AS routes are mostly satisfactory to me. SEA-JFK is their weak spot, having only a red eye. AA has the non-red eye. I fly that route about 5-6 times per year. EWR is less convenient but can be done. If I don't fly AS to JFK or EWR, I won't make MVP in 2019.

Does JFK Terminal 7 lack Pre Check?

Here's how I see it:
DL - JFK schedule is superior, West Coast schedule isn't bad. Advantage: DL
AS - early boarding and seat selection is better with MVP. DL is harder to become elite. Advantage: AS
AS - baggage service guarantee. Without it, I never check bags. With it, I check bags about 3 times a year. Advantage: AS, no need to carry a heavy and stuffed rollerbag.
DL - AVOD is much better. I don't want to watch a movie on my phone. I've watched some good movies on AVOD. Advantage: DL
AS - Mileage Plan is much better than Skymiles. Advantage: AS
AS - AS is a domestic airline. DL is foreign. OK, not quite foreign. Advantage: no difference
xx - upgrade changes are poor as MVP or Silver. I've had luck only as DL Gold in previous years.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

If AS cannibalized one VX slot at JFK and had a morning departure, the choice would be easier. How sweet a SEA JFK 730 a.m. - 3:55 p.m. flight would be that returns at 5:15 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I fly SEA-JFK/EWR multiple times a year. The fact is that an upgrade into either is pretty rare for me as a gold, probably never going to happen as an MVP; since JFK is a major hub for DL you will NEVER get an upgrade. To me the big difference is AS mileage plan. With Sky Pesos in the lowest level you get pretty much nothing and their program is revenue based....very bad. While the AS flights into JFK are all red eyes, they never get delayed whereas daytime flights can be very delayed. If you want to fly daytime just fly into EWR. It would be nice to get at least one daytime flight into JFK but not going to hold my breath into such a slot limited airport.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
It would be nice to get at least one daytime flight into JFK but not going to hold my breath into such a slot limited airport.
The only hope is if AS thinks one daytime SEA-JFK flight will do better than if VX cuts back its 6 LAX-JFK flights to 5.

currently the LAX-JFK schedule is:
0715-1533 1100-1922 1340-2203 1540-2355 2121-0540+1 2325-0744+1

SFO-JFK is:
0725-1534 0925-1757 1355-2226 1530-2358 2315-0742+1

Maybe the weakest LAX flight is 1340-2203? (but the 1533 arrival would be sweet)
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
As an 75K for quite a few years I'm pretty loyal to AS - but that has faded this year with the way AS has treated its "valued" regulars. VS elites were viewed as more important, the DL partnership went away (which I valued) and now the AA partnership if going away, I guess. Add the recent fiasco with cancelled Horizon flights and I'm pretty dissatisfied now.

I fly out of GEG so I can choose between AS and DL. I was Gold on DL at one time and really disliked the service, reliability or Sky Miles plan. With what has occurred this year, I am either going to jump ship and status match to DL, or give AS one more year to see if the decide to once again care about their elites - not holding my breath on the latter, unfortunately.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:14 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
If you fly enough the West Coast I'd stick with AS.

I fly Delta for all my TATLs (6-10/yr), but I prefer all the non-stops and the better FC meal services around the West Coast on AS.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I can qualify for elite status on AS for less than $2000, easy. DL not so much. This is brain dead easy, especially since DL means punishing me with Basic Economy on cheap fares that AS doesn’t punish me with. Apparently OP doesn’t have to deal with Basic Economy?

But hey, if you like paying extra money to DL to bribe them to treat you humanely, you do you. For a lot of NYC travel on expensive fares it might make sense.

I would probably defect to WN if I had to defect. At least they don’t think you’re scum if you buy a cheap fare.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:26 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I would probably defect to WN if I had to defect. At least they don’t think you’re scum if you buy a cheap fare.
Yes, everybody suffers on WN
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
The frequency downgrade from BOI to PDX or PDX via SEA is killing me. What’s keeping me is the PDX Lounge staff. Seriously they know my family and my life when I talk to them (and I theirs). IF I were to move to a work schedule other than Sunday Tuesday, I would probably defect.

Last edited by Idaho Territory; Oct 28, 2017 at 11:01 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
AS - baggage service guarantee. Without it, I never check bags. With it, I check bags about 3 times a year. Advantage: AS, no need to carry a heavy and stuffed rollerbag.
Doesn’t DL have a 20-min bag guarantee too?
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Yes, There is in fact NO PRE✔️ At JFK T7
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Any airline with a revenue based frequent flyer program will never be an option for me...there is no way Im going to pay MORE for the same status....as long as AS stays with the traditional mileage-based program, they'll have my business, even if they try to serve me polenta now and then.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Any airline with a revenue based frequent flyer program will never be an option for me...there is no way Im going to pay MORE for the same status....as long as AS stays with the traditional mileage-based program, they'll have my business, even if they try to serve me polenta now and then.
Mileage-based program is the best reason to focus on AS when possible. Well, this and its international airline partners. Work has focused on United/*A for so long I have built up quite a stash of miles. However, AS continues to be my airline of choice, when I have the choice.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by milypan
Doesn’t DL have a 20-min bag guarantee too?
Yes. Actually made a successful claim for my 2500 Delta miles last night for a 22ish minute bag wait. While it’s easier to do a google search to find the online form for it than to just try to find it on Delta’s web site, their automated system posts the miles instantly if you have a valid claim
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
OP: Is in-flight wifi a service you use? DL is way ahead (a couple of hundred aircraft already) in rolling out satellite wifi and 3-5 more done each week.

Do pay attention to elite spend requirements (MQD in Delta-speak) or waive requirements for silver/gold/plat with enough spend on a Delta Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.