Wiki Posts
Search

Maximize Miles - Tri-Cities VA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold, Emerald Club Excutive
Maximize Miles - Tri-Cities VA

In 2018, I'll be visiting this market couple of times a year and wanted to maximize earning of AS miles. My initial observations looks like fly to Nashville, then drive 4 hours. With the AA partnership unraveling, they do not seem to be an option. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Tri-Cities, Virginia, or Tri-Cities, Tennessee? (The latter with airport code TRI.) Alaska and Delta still have an interline agreement even if they're not codesharing or providing elite benefits. AS to/from ATL, connecting on Delta to TRI, beats the drive from BNA for me. Alaskaair.com will book it.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the idea, meetings will be in Bristol TN, so TRI is the ideal airport.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
if you are hellbent on earning AS miles, 3C's idea is the most painless assuming that you are starting in the PNW. however, don't expect that it will be cheap.

the drive from BNA isn't a fun one, I-40 and I-81 have a LOT of truck traffic on them at all hours. depending upon the time of day, traffic around Knoxville can be something special on the freeways.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
if you are hellbent on earning AS miles, 3C's idea is the most painless assuming that you are starting in the PNW. however, don't expect that it will be cheap.
In the absence of codesharing we could expect this to have multiple fare components, and it does, as you suspected. The cheapest fares I see (not looking at itins with Sat night stays) do involve two fare components in each direction: $740 r/t. All-AA and all-DL itins can be under $500, limiting travel to two segments each way.

(I had a client off into the hills from Bristol.)
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Lots of driving

Wound up flying SEA-RDU, then driving 4 miles to Bristol. Then due to to big difference in airfare, went to BNA to fly back to Sea. Not fun, but at least kept all the miles on AS.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Don Draper
Wound up flying SEA-RDU, then driving 4 miles to Bristol. Then due to to big difference in airfare, went to BNA to fly back to Sea. Not fun, but at least kept all the miles on AS.
i assume you mean 4 hours, RDU-TRI it's a drive i am somewhat familiar with, and not a fun one...though scenic once west of Winston-Salem
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i assume you mean 4 hours, RDU-TRI it's a drive i am somewhat familiar with, and not a fun one...though scenic once west of Winston-Salem
This is what happens when you are watching March Madness and commenting. Yes, drove 4 HOURS from RDU to Bristol VA. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.